PDA

View Full Version : survival food source

snakeman
04-27-2009, 07:48 PM
Mammals are they most common survival food i think of but there are many of them right under your nose, Which do you think is best, as in: easiest to catch, cook and has the most nutrition?

crashdive123
04-27-2009, 07:51 PM
IMO in a true survival (wilderness) situation whatever you can obtain is going to be the best. I would not limit myself to one type or another. Squirrel, rabbit, deer, fish, seagull, rat, grubs, termites.......it's all about survival, not being picky.

snakeman
04-27-2009, 07:55 PM
Yes, that is true but what would you set a trap for first and mainly go after.

Rick
04-27-2009, 08:00 PM
A lot would depend on location and climate but all things being equal I'd go with setting snares. That would give me time to concentrate on immediate tasks like gathering fire wood and fire building as well as shelter building. Once fire and shelter were taken care of I can expand to a fish weir, forage for plants and try to chase down Jiminy Cricket.

crashdive123
04-27-2009, 08:02 PM
For me, I would go after any and all. Set snares, trot line, hunt with fire arm or make a weapon. I believe that the important thing is to not expend more enery than the food source is going to provide. Honestly, I would not limit myself to "the best" food source. Sure, I may prefer a nice venison steak but the reality is - get what you can to survive.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
04-27-2009, 08:38 PM
i think they call my species...umm; eatus anythingus( with opposable thumb.) or more commonly known as "the hungry man"
i would start with the insects and work my way up from there eat some use some for bait.

bindlestitch
04-27-2009, 09:10 PM
A lot would depend on location and climate but all things being equal I'd go with setting snares. That would give me time to concentrate on immediate tasks like gathering fire wood and fire building as well as shelter building. Once fire and shelter were taken care of I can expand to a fish weir, forage for plants and try to chase down Jiminy Cricket.

I agree. I'd change the order a bit: I'd build my shelter and fire first, then go for the snares and deadfalls.
But overall I share this same philosophy.
Later,
Iz

gryffynklm
04-27-2009, 10:45 PM
I'm of the same opinion, gather what you can. As soon as I came to the realization I was in a potential survival situation, I would start foraging and looking for animal trails as I assessed my situation.

Your surroundings are going to dictate what is potentially available. That and the weather to a certain extent will dictate your priority for building a fire, shelter, gather food and water.

I would have to go with my strengths and knowledge which would focus on snares and dead fall. If there was a creek or other body of water, I would look for crayfish, frogs, turtles and fish and catch what I can. I would forage for identifiable edible plants as I went along.

Its hard to say because your situation will dictate how you use your knowledge and experience.

Gray Wolf
04-27-2009, 10:51 PM
I think a lot does depend on location and climate. What kind of water source are you near? A stream, a river, a lake or an ocean? If it's winter, your location means if the water is frozen or not. But I would still go along with Rick's plan, "I'd go with setting snares. That would give me time to concentrate on immediate tasks like gathering fire wood and fire building as well as shelter building. Once fire and shelter were taken care of I can expand to a fish weir, forage for plants and try to chase down Jiminy Cricket."

But again location and climate.... Because all things ARE NOT equal.
If I'm in the Everglades or the Bayou, I go with a fish weir, that then would give me time to concentrate on the immediate tasks like shelter building as well as gathering fire wood and fire building. Once shelter and fire were taken care of I can expand to setting snares, snake, gator hunting and while gathering and hunting, forage for plants, and Coconuts. Coconuts give me clean milk and solids.

snakeman
04-28-2009, 07:38 AM
I guess I should have explained more. You are in a decidous woodland with gently rollong hills and there is a small stream. There is edibles like bracken, sorrel, dandelions, and thistle, along with mixed beech, maple, and pine trees. It is the si e time of year it is now and the day time high is around 75, while the low is 50's or 60's. After you build a shelter and get water and fire and everything, what food source would you feel most confident in obtaining and that will keep you alive and with energy.

NCO
04-28-2009, 07:41 AM
Summer/autum = edible plants + fish.
Winter/early spring = Small game.
Moon = My friends.
Else = Else.

That's it

mountain mama
04-28-2009, 08:40 AM
I would have to vote "all of the above", since in a survival situation I would eat whatever I could find, hunt, snare, catch...
However, since that wasn't an option on the poll, I voted insects (although I noticed most people voted small game). The reason I didn't vote small game is because of the high protein content of bugs (and their abundance during certain seasons), as opposed to the possibility of rabbit starvation from some of the leaner small game.

crashdive123
04-28-2009, 12:31 PM
I would have to vote "all of the above", since in a survival situation I would eat whatever I could find, hunt, snare, catch...
However, since that wasn't an option on the poll, I voted insects (although I noticed most people voted small game). The reason I didn't vote small game is because of the high protein content of bugs (and their abundance during certain seasons), as opposed to the possibility of rabbit starvation from some of the leaner small game.

You've got it right IMO. I didn't vote in the poll because my choice was not there (any and all)