PDA

View Full Version : Needing Information

Running
04-23-2009, 10:20 AM
Okay... so I know a lot about fishing and how to catch food... in the water.
I also know a bit about first aid, CPR and all that good stuff, I'm also great at building shelters and just basic structures in general - as I've done these things a lot ( we have what we call "southeast survival" classes in our school where we go out and build shelters and fires with only the basics- totally fun if you've never done that before with a group)
I am lacking, however, in the plants, hunting, and trapping area, also in treating illnesses. So far people have given me some pretty good links. But does anyone have any really good links or could reccomend a good book to take with me while on my "journey"??

I'm very curious to see what you've got.

tennecedar
04-23-2009, 10:30 AM
Running, the blogs here are very in depth on the subjects you just listed. After clicking the blog button you can search trapping and find some great info. I've trapped for years and I found it to be very informative.

As far as plants go, we have a section on foraging and wild edibles too.
Within those and doing a search here you should find the links you are looking for.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
04-23-2009, 10:33 AM
The Coast Guard has a public CPR/ Emargency first aide guide that covers every situation
the library should have one in its wilderness and survival section. and also, the urban survival handbook offers an extensive first-aide and wilderness remedy section.
also the FOXFIRE books will set you straight on every remedy that is a remedy! those are some good books for you all at the library so dont buy if they have them

mountain mama
04-23-2009, 11:24 AM
http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6651
There's some good survival books listed for ya...be sure and read the comments too because some other good books were mentioned, as well.

Rick
04-23-2009, 12:08 PM
Here is the official book thread sticky:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5483

trax
04-23-2009, 12:40 PM
Nunavut is a huge territory in northern Canada, none of it that you read is going to help you as much as getting out with an experienced hunter or trapper and learning hands on from that individual. From what you've described about where you live I'd think you'd be able to hook up with someone.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
04-23-2009, 02:07 PM
i know a few things about wilderness remedies. I use the yarrow to stop bleeding,i use red tree lichens for iodine tinchure. i use aspen bark for (boiled) to releave headaches.I use tobbacco to kill intestinal parasites and bee stings , and stuff like that