PDA

View Full Version : foraging in the wilderness part2

erunkiswldrnssurvival
04-23-2009, 07:51 AM
conclusion ; My question for this is ...(1) did i waste my time with the fire materials? should i have just used wood instead?
(2) should i find an easier or better way to build weapons (without tools)?
(3). are cane-teens a good solution to the wilderness container?

just view both videos by clicking onto the link in my signature.

crashdive123
04-23-2009, 08:19 AM
As to questions 1 and 2, it depends on what you are trying to teach or learn. If you want to show various methods of identifying and how to forage for wild food..... If you want to show various methods of building weapons in the wilderness....... But if you want to convey in a chronological order the steps would take if they were thrust into a particular situation, then starting out with the basics (water, shelter, fire, food...) and then progressing to more complicated and intricate things...

Cane or bamboo canteens? Yep for the area you live, they are a good choice.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
04-23-2009, 08:32 AM
the pine sap and brackets take a little effort to find, tripping over tons of wood and dead branches. but the pine sap i use for tools also. its both fuel and equipment. the compact energy in the sap equals huge pile of wood by comparison of energy to to volume of fuel used (economic)

erunkiswldrnssurvival
04-23-2009, 08:41 AM
and the wood working is just split ream smooth and use. the burl provides, a large variety of tools. the swirled wood already shaped for the tools, is a time saver the; small parts pop off ready to use. i just want to know if i was to try and survive without help, are the practices that i presented going to help or hinder me? should i trade them for for a shot gun and 4 wheeler with a trailer to pull "SURVIVAL" (modern)? are my chances better with survival in a can?

erunkiswldrnssurvival
04-23-2009, 08:54 AM
even in most survival manuals, some practices are designed for a carpenter with a tool truck,(mabe not quite). but the bow saw, machete, belt knife, and everything else.

the last time i had a survival situation (REAL) my equipment , tent ,bag,ect was at camp while im lost on a trail several miles away. my equipment that should have saved me i had left at camp for a short 3 day hike on a ten minute trail.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
04-23-2009, 09:03 AM
i guess what in getting at is that i am torn between two survival phylosophys, and i am trying to orient what is what. half of each sounds strange. when the saw gets dull and my pack is torn what then?

erunkiswldrnssurvival
04-23-2009, 12:12 PM
I gogled "pine sap fire" and got a few good results. nobody using the brackets to burn it with. i watched this light a fire with sap. he laid it on the branches and lit it. most of it melted and poured into the mud. but it worked for him, the chunks of sap he was using would have made a huge blaze if he would have burned it on a bracket.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwwLJWYP1_Y

erunkiswldrnssurvival
04-23-2009, 02:25 PM
pine sap is like propane or gas its condensed fuel that releases its energy slowly. a cup of pine sap has the same energy as a stack of fire wood and can last as long if burned properly, pine stove is an equal heat to a bon fire.