PDA

View Full Version : Foraging for food and tools in the wilderness

erunkiswldrnssurvival
04-22-2009, 01:43 PM
i put togather a video of what i would gather for my self in a survival situation, to see the video click onto the link in my signature. I gathered food tools and stuff for a fire . i MADE THE VIDEO IN TWO PARTS.

Question: did i make wise choices for what to gather ? if not what should have I done instead?( Part 2 is about mking the tools and the fire )
Question is for part 1

crashdive123
04-22-2009, 02:28 PM
Nice haul. To answer your question - I can't tell if you over looked anything from the video, so if you're happy with what you were able to gather, then that's what matters.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
04-22-2009, 02:40 PM
I found useful things, but is there some other method of getting something out there that would give me (or anybody) a better chance of getting established to survive a survival situation?is there "THE GOLDEN FOOD" (like venison)that i should have looked instead of the weeds and grubs?

crashdive123
04-22-2009, 02:49 PM
I believe that in a situation in which you are thrust without the benefit of modern weapons and equipment you have to start with "weeds and grubs" As time progresses, you will adapt to the environment and develop tools that will aid in survival. You may not build a fish wier your first day, or set snares - but after you have made some cordage from the yucca you probably would set snares and build more complex things that will enhance your ability to gather food. Blowdarts? Maybe not the first day, but they will probably end up in the toolbox so that if a situation arises where food can be harvested with one..... As far as a golden rule? Yep - staying alive.

Rick
04-22-2009, 02:52 PM
As long as you have water and can stay hydrated, food can wait. Not that I ever want it to but if it takes you a few days to build a set of tools (cordage, snares, weir, whatever) then can you eat-o-plenty.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
04-22-2009, 03:16 PM
i had no container so i planned to make them out of cane and bark corks. so water was next on the list

Rick
04-22-2009, 03:18 PM
I wasn't criticizing your video. I thought that was good. You asked if you should have looked for venison instead of weeds and grubs. I was just noting that you wouldn't starve to death in a few days so you could munch on whatever you find and take the time to build a set of tools if you wanted to. My bad, I didn't explain myself very well.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
04-22-2009, 03:30 PM
yep, and i got it . thats what i was asking for. that should have been first . im trying to study how decisions like that effect the next set of events.(A few more days in the woods)

erunkiswldrnssurvival
04-23-2009, 07:41 AM
im trying to hone my skills and would like everybodys input on the first things that you would gather for survival. ie; Shot gun,spear, make a bow and arrow instead of....

sh4d0wm4573ri7
04-23-2009, 08:35 AM
First off I would secure a base camp, in my world this is easy with my lightweight reflective tarp I always carry into the woods and is a backup in the car. My priorities would be dictated by the situation. Water and shelter usually coming first. Once this is accomplished then I start to gather wood, double what I think I will need to make it through a cold night. Then I would forage for tools to make and go about making traps, snares etc. food is usually low on my priorities. water shelter is almost always first. Your doing good job on your videos keep up the good work bro ,,,,, just my 2 cents

erunkiswldrnssurvival
04-23-2009, 09:15 AM
2 cents worth a dollar. thanks. noting every thing you said onto my study sheet.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
04-23-2009, 02:20 PM
here is a good web site to learn some foraging tips
www.wildmanstevebrill.com/

canid
04-23-2009, 03:52 PM
the last time i went out trecking, found a nice little camp site and didn't set up, i left my pack there, went of exploring and tracking deer [leaving my woodland camo pack sitting directly up against a tree in the shade of a thicket] and returned a couple hours later to find that i could not locate the tree.

a warning to all those as dense as i am. it had all my waer in it, my pot to boil water, and i got to hike the several hours back home without any of it.

Rick
04-23-2009, 04:23 PM
You didn't happen to pass anyone carrying TWO packs did you?

That would just s**k big time. That's a lot of gear to lose AND it's your fault.:smash:

Did you ever find it?

canid
04-23-2009, 04:52 PM
na, there's nobody but deer, coyote and cattle out there.

hrm, now that you mention it, that coyote was drinking from a hydration bladder...