PDA

View Full Version : 22LR as a killing round

Badawg
04-20-2009, 05:25 PM
Somewhere along the way I saw a thread that was hijacked for a short time with the subject of "how effective is .22LR as a killer of large game".

I thought some of you would like to see this local story about a gangster that shot and killed a cop from over 400 feet away with .22LR. He's going away, but he himself was amazed he actually hit the cop, much lest killed him during the interrogation. This whole story has been big news around here, and for this guy to get nailed today is good news.

I maintain that .22LR could be very effective as a killer of large game when used properly and with good marksmanship. Humane? Probably not. That's why you shouldn't use it to bag a deer next fall. But in a survival situation, it would be an ideal thing to be able to do.

http://weblog.signonsandiego.com/news/breaking/2009/04/guilty_verdict_in_oceanside_po.html

Pal334
04-20-2009, 06:20 PM
I agree. Although a 22lr would not be my personal first choice, it certainly has a place in a survival setting. That little "pill" can do serious damage rattling around after it enters the target. Another huge advantage is that due to low cost a person can afford a lot more practice to become proficient. And size and weight of ammo is a bonus. And like I think you are inferring, in a survival situation, humane is not neccessarily high on my priority list when it comes to feeding my family. I do believe I am going to move the 22 lr a bit higher on my priority list.

Rick
04-20-2009, 06:25 PM
I agree, Badawg. In a survival situation, it's probably THE best caliber in my opinion. You can take squirrel and rabbit with it all day long and, with proper shot placement, large game like white tail.

Everyone wants to pull out the big guns in a survival situation but I've yet to figure out what they intend to do with all that meat if they don't have a way to manage it. A squirrel, on the other hand, Mmmmmmmm.

trax
04-20-2009, 06:28 PM
I agree as well and wasn't Alpine_Sapper who just recently made the point of a lot of little game is easier to deal with than one big animal. I know of one individual who took a moose using a .22 (through the ear) again, I wouldn't recommend it, but in a survival situation, do what ya gotta do.

Alpine_Sapper
04-20-2009, 06:33 PM
I always thought the guys packing large calibers for "survival" were more into the anti-personnel possibilities of the weapon vs. the meat gathering possibilities. But then again, if your taste in meat runs that way...

For small game and most survival situations, yep, a .22lr or a 410 is probably the best, but if you are looking at having to fight off humans as well as take meat for the table, you might want to reconsider. Not that either won't take out a human, but I'd rather have something with more stopping power and save the plinkers for the squirrels.

crashdive123
04-20-2009, 06:46 PM
I agree with all that has been said. It is now difficult to find any 22lr in my area. About the only thing that there seems to be an abundance of is 12ga 7-1/2 shot.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
04-20-2009, 07:26 PM
i killed a spike with a .22lr, i had to shoot it twice the shoulder shot crippled it then i finished it off up close, perfect aim, would have been better. but i missed the heart on the first one

Ole WV Coot
04-20-2009, 10:37 PM
I agree with all that has been said. It is now difficult to find any 22lr in my area. About the only thing that there seems to be an abundance of is 12ga 7-1/2 shot.

Nothing here either but gobs of skeet loads and a few 7 1/2 high brass. I played around with the skeet, opened them and had filler so I made heavy shot by using lead and 50/50 solder I had, melting over a bucket of water to get decent almost round shot. Close range out to 25yds does a good job, tried melting the small shot and was a waste of time. I have plenty of 50/50 & lead and I picked up a case of skeet loads at Wallys, about the only thing they had. Semi-loading guess you could call it and seal with your choice.:smash: Haven't tried BBs yet but I picked up a carton to play with.

tennecedar
04-20-2009, 11:52 PM
Coot, I do some loads with BB's and 9 shot mixed. Great defensive round but the weight sneaks up on ya real quick. I found my shot running close to an ounce and a quarter. The recoil was counter productive for defensive shooting, but the load is destructive.

Ole WV Coot
04-28-2009, 07:01 PM
I'll give that a try. I didn't think of mixing fine shot with BBs, just thought of BBs & filler. I have enough to weigh out and play around starting real light. Thanks for the advice.

RobertRogers
04-28-2009, 08:18 PM
The round has often been used in an urban sniper role for a variety of reasons. In most survival situations your meat is going to come largely from squirrel and rabbit sized game. And a whitetail deer can be taken if the chance arises. This makes it a good choice.

mountain mama
04-28-2009, 08:41 PM
my wrist rocket is probably just as effective as a .22

Rick
04-28-2009, 08:43 PM
It would be even more lethal if you used .22s instead of rocks!!!!!!

SARKY
04-28-2009, 09:48 PM
When I was stationed in Maine the local Native Americans would chase a moose into a lake, get it out deep enough that it was swimming, pull up along side in a canoe, stick the muzzle of a .22 in its ear and bang moose steaks. of course they still had to drag it back to shore and process it. But yeah, the little .22 works.

lucznik
04-29-2009, 01:55 PM
my wrist rocket is probably just as effective as a .22

I doubt this is true.

I would gaurantee you aren't getting anywhere near the same velocity with your wrist rocket as is achieved with the .22LR (between 1000 and 1500 fps, depending on the load).

Certainly no wrist rocket is going to accurately shoot more than 50-100 yards or so (if even that far). The .22LR can be effectively shot at 250-300+ yards and retain significant lethality.

Alpine_Sapper
04-29-2009, 01:57 PM
of course they still had to drag it back to shore and process it. .

Better have a tow rope. Otherwise, the fishes are gonna be having moose steaks and I'm gonna be trying to shoot a fish with a .22 since the moose sank on us...

Rick
04-29-2009, 02:15 PM
I doubt this is true.

Pssssst. She uses grenades in her wrist rocket. Accuracy isn't exactly required. Close is okay.

mountain mama
04-29-2009, 02:17 PM
I'm also good at horseshoes ;)

klkak
04-29-2009, 06:09 PM
The round has often been used in an urban sniper role for a variety of reasons. In most survival situations your meat is going to come largely from squirrel and rabbit sized game. And a whitetail deer can be taken if the chance arises. This makes it a good choice.

I have a friend who is a SWAT sniper with a major California police department. He has a fully silenced Ruger 10/22 .22lr that he uses for taking out guard dogs and dimming lights before raids.

Rick
04-29-2009, 08:34 PM
Use some sub sonic ammo and the bolt is probably louder than the muzzle noise.

sh4d0wm4573ri7
04-30-2009, 09:58 AM
For all around I must admit I prefer my 870 but in a survival situation I will also be lugging my 22lr