PDA

View Full Version : BEAR HABIT awareness

erunkiswldrnssurvival
04-19-2009, 06:28 PM
this is one of the web sites that i recomend to people who want to learn bear habits.
http://ndow.org/about/pubs/pdf/brochure/bearaware.pdf

it has good info and i trust what they say

tennecedar
04-19-2009, 06:51 PM
Wonderfully informative site.

Rick
04-19-2009, 07:06 PM
Tacky. Plum tacky.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
04-19-2009, 07:08 PM
Wonderfully informative site. You ever read it? It has great info on what not to do around bears.

oh yes ive read it, thats what you should do when you might see a bear. i said in my intro that i recomend this site to people who want to learn about bear habits it has more than just what not to do.

Rick
04-19-2009, 07:11 PM
Q.U.I.T. - Both of you! Call a truce for the night. You two keep this up and you're going to get a 10 day stay in the cloak room. Enough is enough!

http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q348/safe_zone/Ban-Watch_It.jpg

erunkiswldrnssurvival
04-19-2009, 07:18 PM
this site discusses the grizzly bear

http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/mammals/grizzly-bear.html (http://%3Cu%3Ehttp://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/mammals/grizzly-bear.html%3C/u%3E)

Alpine_Sapper
04-19-2009, 07:24 PM
Q.U.I.T. - Both of you! Call a truce for the night. You two keep this up and you're going to get a 10 day stay in the cloak room. Enough is enough!

http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q348/safe_zone/Ban-Watch_It.jpg

WOAH. If that's the one dealing out the punishment, give me someone to hit, quick! lol.

You guys don't make me bust out the Youngbloods video again...

Rick
04-19-2009, 07:27 PM
That's me in drag. Trust me. You do not want to push me. I can get a bit surly.

Alpine_Sapper
04-19-2009, 07:29 PM
That's me in drag. Trust me. You do not want to push me. I can get a bit surly.

Um, nevermind.... *grabbing victim, dusting him off... "this never happened, ok? OK?!"*

erunkiswldrnssurvival
04-19-2009, 07:32 PM
the grizzly bear larger than the black bear eats mostly roots and berries during the salmon run they gorge on fish fat and leave the meat to rot

erunkiswldrnssurvival
04-19-2009, 07:35 PM
the brown bear, more carnivorous than the black bear eats mosty birds and seals though they have a fettish for cloud berries.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
04-19-2009, 07:37 PM
the polar bear nearly carnivorous eats seals thier primary food,.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
04-19-2009, 07:39 PM
the black bear is a scavenger that will feed on carcasses , sometimes hunt but mostly eat acorns and foods like that

erunkiswldrnssurvival
04-19-2009, 07:40 PM
the cave bear (that is now extinct) ate only meat. that covers the american bears' eating habits

red lake
04-19-2009, 09:44 PM
the black bear will take down fawns or calf moose, but only if the opportunity presents itself.

if they identify people with food, whether it be scavenging campsites for food left behind by careless campers or scavenging garbage in the neighbourhood, they become dangerous. The bears that roam the provincial parks in Southern Ontario scare the crap out of me. The ones that roams the woods in back yard, not so much

erunkiswldrnssurvival
04-19-2009, 10:02 PM
these are some bear attacks...

sorry that site wont open

mountain mama
04-19-2009, 10:05 PM
Rick, you just let me know if you need me to start doling out the spankings...

Rick
04-19-2009, 10:12 PM
Well.....I have been a baaaaaad boy.

red lake
04-19-2009, 10:18 PM
that link is nfg

erunkiswldrnssurvival
04-19-2009, 10:21 PM
that link is nfg

ill fix that hold on

Sourdough
04-19-2009, 10:40 PM
This thread is a Classic example of the short coming of the INTERNET Forums..........

erunkiswldrnssurvival
04-19-2009, 10:49 PM
i dont know what happened there im trying to find something else like that. a complete list of bear attacks would have been nice

crashdive123
04-19-2009, 10:53 PM
I've got to say, that when it comes to something like bears and their behavior, and safety - I will do all of the research that I can, but I will also defer to people like Hopeak, Red Lake, Klkak, Wild Woman, Jason Montana - people that live in bear country and have to deal with them on a regular basis.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
04-19-2009, 11:04 PM
exelent advice crash,ive been around them some, but my father is an avid bear hunter. ive even been within 200 feet of a female with a cub here three months ago over in the mill dam area. i stay away from them. the only time that i need to see a bear is if i intend to eat it.

red lake
04-20-2009, 07:00 PM
Sitting in a tree waiting for a baited bear gives a certain understanding of bear behaviour.

Being around a bear with a loaded gun gives you a certain bravado as well.

That is experience I don't have, but hope to gain one day. I plan on building a tree house in the woods behind the house. It is mainly for the kids but I have ideas of using it as a sort of blind to observe the bears that wander into the back yard.

Traveling unarmed in the wilderness of bear country is a whole other matter. Carrying a firearm in the wilderness provincial parks here in Ontario is illegal. You learn to live with the bears and learn how to keep your campsite odor free.

I respect your experiences Trapper Jack, but leaving "offerings" for a bear is a bad idea in my experience and from what I understand of bears. Bears need to fear humans in order to keep the bears and humans safe. When they lose that fear of humans, or associate humans with a source of food they will pursue the humans for the food.

Bear behavior surely differs from region to region as well.

wareagle69
04-20-2009, 07:09 PM
so does rehabbing bears and doing studies for the ministry and crawling around in bear dens while they are in there count as bear expereince? i might be able to lend a little help but i recall this type of bear thread getting very heated before so i may defer

erunkiswldrnssurvival
04-20-2009, 07:14 PM
so does rehabbing bears and doing studies for the ministry and crawling around in bear dens while they are in there count as bear expereince? i might be able to lend a little help but i recall this type of bear thread getting very heated before so i may defer

thats why i wanted to post those web sites to hopefuly discuss what the web site (Bear habit) suggests as "THE RULE" for bear encounter prevention and how to handle food , trash, protecting yourself from bear attack

wareagle69
04-20-2009, 07:17 PM
i opened a file on it last night will try to look at it later this week eugene, gotta go feed the horses, will get back to ya

erunkiswldrnssurvival
04-20-2009, 07:18 PM
personal experiences can add dimention to the facts, but the "HABIT" of bears is as unpredictable as man. rogue killer bears are not uncommon, more agressive than the rest, they exibit explosive anger just like we do.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
04-20-2009, 07:19 PM
i opened a file on it last night will try to look at it later this week eugene, gotta go feed the horses, will get back to ya

alwright, you have a good nite.

RBB
04-21-2009, 10:27 AM
We had a bear at the sugar bush last week. Pretty good size male - probably just out of hibernation. I suppose he liked the smell of the syrup boiling. We threw rocks and sticks at him until he left (he's from a different clan). He hasn't been back far as I can tell.

MatthewnOK
04-21-2009, 10:51 AM
progue killer bears are not uncommon, more agressive than the rest, they exibit explosive anger just like we do.

Maybe they just need a hug? Maybe soon government will have a plan to distribute depression medicine to grizzlies!

ClayPick
04-21-2009, 11:00 AM
You don't have to see them if your down wind, man they stink! My dogs pick them right up right away. No eye contact, a wide birth with haste and a healthy dose of anxiety works for me ...... so far.:)

Rick
04-21-2009, 11:08 AM
We threw rocks and sticks at him until he left (he's from a different clan). He hasn't been back far as I can tell.

Well, yeah. With hospitality like that I'm amazed anyone ventures 'round a second time. Sheesh.

Runs With Beer
04-21-2009, 11:20 AM
I have some exp. with Black bears, I live in the Ocala Nat.Forest, and we have a large bear pop. Dont leave food out or garbage, they will get it. I have them in my yard on a regular basis. From what Ive seen You dont Mess with them they dont mess with you.

DOGMAN
04-21-2009, 01:31 PM
I find a good Chuck Norris styled round house kick can take out most Grizzlies. I have had great success with numb-chucks as well. I have yet to meet a griz that can handle the chucks!

Rick
04-21-2009, 02:44 PM
Hey, he isn't kidding. Chuck Norris can STARE down a bear. Really!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2XUgE6g7XU

Alpine_Sapper
04-21-2009, 03:11 PM
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/funny-pictures-cat-does-a-good-high-kick.jpg

Yuma Kutsuu
04-28-2009, 08:53 AM
If you want to see something terrifying check this out. I would not want to meet this bear personally

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/05/bear-hybrid-photo.html

erunkiswldrnssurvival
04-28-2009, 09:04 AM
polar grizzlies, reminds me of the extinct cave bear!

sgtdraino
04-28-2009, 01:01 PM
Somehow, I misread this thread title as:

BR'ER RABBIT awareness

:D

mountain mama
04-28-2009, 01:05 PM
*on the lookout for tar babies*

erunkiswldrnssurvival
04-28-2009, 01:30 PM
and the bears that have SAN DIEGO iron on's.

red lake
04-28-2009, 06:07 PM
Here is a first hand account of encounter with a bear.

Tom is not a particularly large guy and for him to kill a bear with only a knife is a truly heroic.

The link to the original news story is no good anymore. But it essentially goes like this....

The man was on a portage, just dropped his gear and then went back for the canoe. On the trail his dog began to growl. When he turned around there was a bear behind him on the trail. He waved his arms and scared the bear off.

The bear circled around and went on the trail in front of him, putting the dog between the bear and him. The bear approached and attacked the dog then Tom jumped on the bear and began stabbing.

The thread has a lot of crap and misconceptions about bears that you find everywhere, just like here, but the first hand account is amazing. There is a picture there of the dog and his wounds.

Tom's handle is samsman and dog is named sam.

http://www.myccr.com/SectionForums/viewtopic.php?f=107&t=17372

crashdive123
04-28-2009, 06:24 PM
Wow. Pretty incredible story. I hope that my Buck 119 will never be needed in a similar situation.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
04-28-2009, 07:17 PM
yea that was impressive, I saw one with a cub a few monts ago it was a black she was big and crossed the road hunched down ,resembleing a Badger! yea a Badger and big, i did not stick around , i was on foot with a full loaded pack. we each went our own way fortunately.

ClayPick
04-30-2009, 08:39 AM
Three of my friends were killed by a bear on May 13, 1978 while fishing at Radiant Lake in Algonquin Park. I was in my 20’s and they were teenagers. I like hearing about folks getting away. God’s speed on your journey George and Mark Halfkenny and Billy Rhindress.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
04-30-2009, 09:12 AM
my encounters have casual fortunately, a bear with aggressive tendancies is something to avoid for sure.