PDA

View Full Version : when is it time to bug out,what sign

jessielavon
04-18-2009, 02:52 AM
I would like to hear everyone's thoughts on what signs y'all are watching for and when you think it will be time to bug out befor it is 2 late?
please email me y'alls thoughts to ***Use her forum email address***

Rick
04-18-2009, 06:28 AM
Jessie - I removed your email address from the above post for several reasons.

1. Every web crawler on the internet will capture it (if they haven't already) and your spam will definitely increase.

2. Anyone can view the forum and if they see your email address then they have access to you. Otherwise, only forum members can contact you. While some of us are a bit quirky, I don't think any of us would spam you.

3. You email address is already in your profile so any forum member wanting to contact you via email can do it.

If you want your email address in your post then by all means plug it back in. I just thought it a bit safer for you if it wasn't posted for the world at large.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
04-18-2009, 06:46 AM
I would like to hear everyone's thoughts on what signs y'all are watching for and when you think it will be time to bug out befor it is 2 late?
please email me y'alls thoughts to ***Use her forum email address***

some people think that there should be a government tax on auto insurance policies, just like the tobacco tax to help pay for prosicuting drunks and speeders.(What do the fines pay for?) bug out yesterday, if you wait youve waited too long.

Rick
04-18-2009, 06:54 AM
About the only thing that is going to move me is some proclamation that I need to scoot. A chemical cloud, a nuclear power plant accident, a Wiggles performance in my neighborhood. All pretty remote stuff.

What type of event are you concerned about?

Erun - Sorry. I don't get that at all. Are you suggestion we need to bug out now just in case?

Ultimate Survivor
04-18-2009, 07:18 AM
bug out when everything else fails ,, personally i off grid at every oppertuneity, also being more self reliant, own water , electric, food etc,

erunkiswldrnssurvival
04-18-2009, 07:22 AM
About the only thing that is going to move me is some proclamation that I need to scoot. A chemical cloud, a nuclear power plant accident, a Wiggles performance in my neighborhood. All pretty remote stuff.

What type of event are you concerned about?

Erun - Sorry. I don't get that at all. Are you suggestion we need to bug out now just in case?

weve lost valueble time wondering "when", instead of why. engeneered poverty, a virtue of big buisness, is fully supported by our government. a poor nation works hard for hours just get to a hamburger. a poverty society dependant on a crooked, greedy government, is too late too bug out. theyve got us by the monkey.

crashdive123
04-18-2009, 07:33 AM
Jessie - what do you envision causing you to have to bug out?

jessielavon
04-18-2009, 08:42 AM
thanks darling
Jessie - I removed your email address from the above post for several reasons.

1. Every web crawler on the internet will capture it (if they haven't already) and your spam will definitely increase.

2. Anyone can view the forum and if they see your email address then they have access to you. Otherwise, only forum members can contact you. While some of us are a bit quirky, I don't think any of us would spam you.

3. You email address is already in your profile so any forum member wanting to contact you via email can do it.

If you want your email address in your post then by all means plug it back in. I just thought it a bit safer for you if it wasn't posted for the world at large.

jessielavon
04-18-2009, 08:46 AM
We have horses and live in the backwoods so its not like we have to try and get out of the city,but we would have to track in several miles to where we have everything chashed hidden,just wont others thoughts. thanks darlings

crashdive123
04-18-2009, 08:48 AM
Sounds like you are already in what most would consider a bug out location. I'll ask again, what situations or circumstances do you envision causing you to have to leave? I only ask so as to be able to give you a meaningful answer.

jessielavon
04-18-2009, 08:50 AM
I grew up on a cotton farm and spent my childhood hunting,fishing and just being a country girl.After my son who was a Marine came home wounded I was ready then but we are waiting for the baby to get here ,wi
Jessie - what do you envision causing you to have to bug out?

crashdive123
04-18-2009, 08:54 AM
I guess I just don't understand (don't worry, that happens a lot). Are you concerned about a weather related situation, wild fires, something else? You asked in your original post what signs we are looking for - I'm just trying to figure out what it is that you feel may cause you to have to bug out.

wareagle69
04-18-2009, 08:58 AM
first off jessie welcome
a little about me the great wareagle
after many years of living in the states(south mostly)i moved back to canada to purchace my bug out property, we live far enough out of town but i could go further, but i still need to make a living, what i am in the processs of doing is establishing camps out in the bush that are far off the quad trails but still able to get to by horseback, now reasons to bug out vary, depends on your criteria and situation for some the poo has already been flung, for me i bugged out years ago but still maintain my presence in civilization, but will be ready to unplug at a moments notice

erunkiswldrnssurvival
04-18-2009, 09:06 AM
those unknown things that i cant predict is what bugs me out. how does someone plan to react affirmatively to an unknown occurance of an unknown nature. i have a friend in NC that had an elaborate survival equipment set up, well a four day caused a mud slide and flood.every thing he owned ended up down the river. they found his house three miles away in the Nantahala water shed. so much for his "Ability to bug out".

Rick
04-18-2009, 09:25 AM
I'll offer you a bit of knowledge from the world of disaster recovery and business continuity. I know you hate the big companies but that's where I came from and they do offer a lot of knowledge that can be used in wilderness survival.

Things you plan for:

Known Knowns: These are things that you are pretty certain will happen or have knowledge that there is a high probability of occurrence. Things like severe thunderstorms, home fires, winter time blizzards, loss of electrical power. We know those things are likely to occur so we plan for them. We have BOBs in place, emergency power in place, water, food, etc.

Known Unknowns: These are things that we have to plan for, may well happen, but we can't define them to any certain level. An example would be severe weather in general. We know several weather will eventually impact us but we don't know what type of severe weather it will be. We have spare blankets, propane heaters, plastic tarps to cover the roof if it's damaged, etc. We have some general planning in place but not at a specific level.

Unknown Unknowns: These are things that could very well happen but we don't know what they are. In other words, things outside the realm that we have planned for like some one driving through your front window, a piece from an airplane coming through the roof. Your long term, general planning tries to encompass unknown unknowns to your best ability but they are, by nature, not something we can plan for.

One of the questions you must repeatedly ask yourself is "What can go wrong?". You have all your plans complete, you have everything in place now you need to critically evaluate what might have been overlooked.

In your friend's example, he was obviously in a high risk area for mud slides and failed to include that in his preparations. That should have been a Known Known for him. He could have looked at the hills around his house and made an intelligent guess that a mud slide might occur. Nothing against him. We might have made the same mistake but those are the kind of things you have to look at. He should have had most of his gear in a safer location.

I know there are folks on here that have supplies stored in their basement. Does your sump pump have a battery backup in case of power failure? How bad would it be if you came home to find your supplies and your basement full of water because the power had been out all day and it had been raining? That's the kind of critical thinking you HAVE to do.

There is an old saying in the DR/BR business, "No one plans to fail, they just fail to plan." It's a very true statement.

wareagle69
04-18-2009, 09:33 AM
whos on first

Rick
04-18-2009, 09:35 AM
Who's on second. What's on first.

MatthewnOK
04-18-2009, 10:33 AM
thanks darling

You sound suspiciously like Eva Gabor. You don't live in Hooterville do you? :innocent:

erunkiswldrnssurvival
04-18-2009, 10:43 AM
I'll offer you a bit of knowledge from the world of disaster recovery and business continuity. I know you hate the big companies but that's where I came from and they do offer a lot of knowledge that can be used in wilderness survival.

Things you plan for:

Known Knowns: These are things that you are pretty certain will happen or have knowledge that there is a high probability of occurrence. Things like severe thunderstorms, home fires, winter time blizzards, loss of electrical power. We know those things are likely to occur so we plan for them. We have BOBs in place, emergency power in place, water, food, etc.

Known Unknowns: These are things that we have to plan for, may well happen, but we can't define them to any certain level. An example would be severe weather in general. We know several weather will eventually impact us but we don't know what type of severe weather it will be. We have spare blankets, propane heaters, plastic tarps to cover the roof if it's damaged, etc. We have some general planning in place but not at a specific level.

Unknown Unknowns: These are things that could very well happen but we don't know what they are. In other words, things outside the realm that we have planned for like some one driving through your front window, a piece from an airplane coming through the roof. Your long term, general planning tries to encompass unknown unknowns to your best ability but they are, by nature, not something we can plan for.

One of the questions you must repeatedly ask yourself is "What can go wrong?". You have all your plans complete, you have everything in place now you need to critically evaluate what might have been overlooked.

In your friend's example, he was obviously in a high risk area for mud slides and failed to include that in his preparations. That should have been a Known Known for him. He could have looked at the hills around his house and made an intelligent guess that a mud slide might occur. Nothing against him. We might have made the same mistake but those are the kind of things you have to look at. He should have had most of his gear in a safer location.

I know there are folks on here that have supplies stored in their basement. Does your sump pump have a battery backup in case of power failure? How bad would it be if you came home to find your supplies and your basement full of water because the power had been out all day and it had been raining? That's the kind of critical thinking you HAVE to do.

There is an old saying in the DR/BR business, "No one plans to fail, they just fail to plan." It's a very true statement.

Thats all the same as saying that our government kept us safe when they attacked the twin towers, yea we planed for terrorist attack, but so much for our ability to bug out

Rick
04-18-2009, 11:30 AM
I'm not certain how you got the twin towers out of your friend's mud slide but okay. Perhaps I mis-communicated something.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
04-18-2009, 11:39 AM
the point was that; what we plan to do and what we are able to do hinge on adapting to something to take control of, in the midst of things that you no control over.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
04-18-2009, 11:41 AM
so to "bug out" at a time that you can determine is right is not something that you can plan for in advance to be prepared for it.

Rick
04-18-2009, 11:46 AM
I don't think I agree with that philosophy. To say I don't have control over my life is to give up responsibility for myself. I control whether I plan or not, what I choose to plan for, and what preparations I put in place. I can even plan for economic downturns, social unrest or any other major event I care to plan for.

You may wish to blame the government and big business for the ills of the country. That's fine. You are welcome to do that. I don't. Despite their shortcomings both have put in place the finest country on the planet IMHO.

I find in odd that when someone like Bill Gates starts out with nothing and builds an empire out of his garage (the very thing that nearly everyone on the planet aspires to) he's suddenly big business and something very bad. I should be that bad. I should be that smart.

So, to end my little diatribe, I think you have the ability to plan and control most of the events in your life. Another old saying: Control what you can. Influence what you can and forget the rest.

Rick
04-18-2009, 11:48 AM
Ah, you posted a second time while I was writing up my response. You might just be correct about the bug out piece. Timing IS everything and trying to figure out when is the right time to go might leave with no time to go.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
04-18-2009, 11:57 AM
no, its hard for me to know when its time to bug out, by then usualy its too late to worry about.

jessielavon
04-18-2009, 12:50 PM
I'm not certain how you got the twin towers out of your friend's mud slide but okay. Perhaps I mis-communicated something.

Very interesting thoughts from everyone, I guess for my crew(family)we believe it is possible for someone to try and start a war on American soil. We are still gathering food while we can as well as ammo and guns(I have 10 children and 9 grandchildren) Our plans for gardening is to make it look just like a natural spot,planting among the natural weeds and foliage,

Nativedude
04-18-2009, 02:09 PM
Personally, I believe "bugging out" would only add to the mass hysteria and chaos (for most) that would, most likely, be ever present in an emergency situation. If people were to bug out, they would be outside the confines of their "comfort zone". Their safe haven, as it were.

Look at the people in NYC. The ones who lived close to ground zero. While they were shaken by the incident, they didn't bug out from their homes after the towers came down.

So, other than needing to leave for personal safety or a lack of having a home left (Katrina after effects), I think it would behoove people to stay put. Especially if you have a good supply of food, water, etc. laid in for just such an emergency.

Bugging out, just to "bug out" would be foolhardy, at best, if not asking for more trouble than it would be worth. . .for most anyway!

Alpine_Sapper
04-18-2009, 02:12 PM
Look at the people in NYC. The ones who lived close to ground zero. While they were shaken by the incident, they didn't bug out from their homes after the towers came down.

So, other than needing to leave for personal safety or a lack of having a home left (Katrina after effects), I think it would behoove people to stay put. Especially if you have a good supply of food, water, etc. laid in for just such an emergency.

Bugging out, just to "bug out" would be foolhardy, at best, if not asking for more trouble than it would be worth. . .for most anyway!

They did need to bug out. All that ash and dust and other crap in the air made it toxic to be in the area. Maybe not immediately, but long term affects from it are documented. And a typical home or commercial filtration system on the environmental controls just won't cut it. I would not have stayed if I could avoid it at all.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
04-18-2009, 02:17 PM
Ah, you posted a second time while I was writing up my response. You might just be correct about the bug out piece. Timing IS everything and trying to figure out when is the right time to go might leave with no time to go.

yep, thats what I meant.

Alpine_Sapper
04-18-2009, 02:35 PM
I find in odd that when someone like Bill Gates starts out with nothing and builds an empire out of his garage (the very thing that nearly everyone on the planet aspires to) he's suddenly big business and something very bad. I should be that bad. I should be that smart.

It has nothing to do with the fact that he bootstrapped his way to the top, the same as the guys from the Apple computer club, Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak. Most people's problem with Bill Gates is the unethical business practices Microsoft has employed. I won't get into all the dirty, underhanded things the company has been accused of, but collaborating with big blue (IBM) on a project, and then halfway through, when the code is almost finished, throw a tantrum, and take the code and end the partnership. What did big blue get? A nice stiff middle finger.

There are countless small companies microsoft has crushed, and while this is normal in business, the underhanded tactics typically employed by the Redmond Pirate Ship are deplorable. The reason microsoft is as big and profitable as they are is because of those tactics. It's definitely not because the provide a superior product. Windows has always been junk, and is just now starting to come up to par with some of the real OS's out there.

Please don't take this as me being a MAC fan over $soft, I think MAC has it's flaws too, mainly overpriced proprietary hardware. But at least they play by the rules in business. $soft should have it's own black ops team.

So, if you want to be that bad, go for it. Just don't complain when you're gifted with a nice shiny new pair of bracelets.

chiye tanka
04-18-2009, 03:23 PM
In my line of work, I'll know before most of you guys. Rest asured, I'll take a minute to post a "Get out of Dodge".
Read the book, Alas Babylon, and look for my post.
Crash, you and erun will just get a call.

crashdive123
04-18-2009, 03:26 PM
Thanks brother.

chiye tanka
04-18-2009, 03:34 PM
Anytime crash.

Rick
04-18-2009, 06:46 PM
@ Alpine - Okay, you don't like my example but you missed the analogy. Joe Shmoe is just a run of the mill nice guy until he gets an idea that nets him mega zillions. Then he becomes big business and part of the conspiracy. He doesn't have to act, do or be any different. He's just increased his disposable income and now he's no longer a nice guy. Better? I don't understand it but it happens all the time. I say Hooray for Joe.

@ Chiya Tanka - (sniff) Wha? No call? (wipes tear from eye). After giving you the best days of my forum and you just to decide not to call? What am I to think? There's another survival forum isn't there? Be honest with me. There's probably some two bit low life wilderness forum wannabe. Isn't there? Well I have my pride. Just go be with 'em but mark my words, I'll find out the address one way or another. Besides, I don't WANT you to call me. Ha! Hurts doesn't it?

crashdive123
04-18-2009, 06:53 PM
pssssst, Rick....ya gotta give him your phone number.

Rick
04-18-2009, 07:22 PM
I...uh...never mind.

Alpine_Sapper
04-18-2009, 07:44 PM
@ Alpine - Okay, you don't like my example but you missed the analogy. Joe Shmoe is just a run of the mill nice guy until he gets an idea that nets him mega zillions. Then he becomes big business and part of the conspiracy. He doesn't have to act, do or be any different. He's just increased his disposable income and now he's no longer a nice guy. Better? I don't understand it but it happens all the time. I say Hooray for Joe.

*headdesk

My bad.

"I see!" said the blind man.

Schleprok
04-18-2009, 08:26 PM
Trust your gut instinct.
After 50 years on this hunk a rock, I know to trust my gut. Dunno why, psychic vibes, inner self is still able to tap into the rythms of nature, who knows. Just works.

warrigal
04-19-2009, 02:04 AM
To throw some thoughts to the original question here in Australia. When confront with Bush/wild fire danger the instructions were either leave early or stay and fight. The thing was if you were gunna stay and fight then there plans and suggestions for the precautions you should take. Most of them the result of a coronial inquest after 47 people died in 1983's Ash Wednsday fires.
Yep done that But early this years due to extreme conditions and abnormal wind conditions close to 200 people died in Nth Victoria ( I say close to 200 because the forensic teams haven't put all the bits together.)
The main complaint from those who survived is there was no warning. The fire front was moving 30-35kmh at times. No time to react if you hadn't already done so.
I worked as a night club doorman for six yrs. And the one thing I saw time and time again was simply this Bad guy mouthing off building up his courage goodguy/victim still hoping to talk their way out of it. Then bad guy gets brave enough and good gets belted. But gee isn't it funny to see the look on the bad guys face when you snot( hit them ) and there not quiet ready. Even when you have seen them go through the build up half a dozen times. They think ther'e hard done by.
The point of the story. Have some practise runs, Then when you do bug out and it is a false alarm you can claim it was a practise. If it's real well it won't matter will it.
better to leave early then to not leave at all.
Carl

Rick
04-19-2009, 02:25 AM
Trust your gut instinct.
After 50 years on this hunk a rock, I know to trust my gut. Dunno why, psychic vibes, inner self is still able to tap into the rythms of nature, who knows. Just works.

You could not be more correct. It's called efferent clues and you are spot on. That's the same thing I've told my kids their whole life. Listen to your gut. If you have a "gut feeling" about something, go with it. You'll be right far more times than you'll be wrong. It works with people, weather, animals. It probably even works with women. Nah...forget the last part.:wacko:

Sourdough
04-19-2009, 06:03 AM
Listen to your gut. If you have a "gut feeling" about something, go with it.

I Have a "Gut-Feeling" it is time...........to go to the Outhouse, Some Gut-Feelings require quicker action than others......:innocent::innocent::innocent:

crashdive123
04-19-2009, 06:47 AM
Watch out for the door. Nevermind, scratch that.

Rick
04-19-2009, 08:37 AM
Some require quicker action as you get older.

Ken
04-19-2009, 09:11 AM
Some require quicker action as you get older.

Sad. Sad, but true. :whistling:

jessielavon
04-19-2009, 11:08 AM
y'all are so funny!have me laughing this morning