PDA

View Full Version : Hording Food ?

Smok
04-15-2009, 02:12 AM
Do you know anything about a [USA Law ???] that says we are not to store food for more then so many months ? Or that we can not have more then so much Ammo for our guns ? That if SHTF did go down you or I could be locked up for Hording and all food and ammo would be taken ? Is this for real ??

laughing beetle
04-15-2009, 02:27 AM
I just wiki'd hoarding laws, and the laws aren't very well defined. If anything was passed recently I haven't located it yet. There is a lot of chatter on other forums though.

Smok
04-15-2009, 02:38 AM
That is why I asked ...Thanks

laughing beetle
04-15-2009, 02:55 AM
You're welcome.

Pal334
04-15-2009, 05:01 AM
The only time "hoarding" laws have been used has been in event of national emergency. The best example was WWII and was used primarily for metal, gasoline etc. They did not include food stuffs, ammo etc. This was due to the fact that they (food stuffs, ammo)became limited in availability and eventually rationed. The folks who had stored large amounts for whatever reason were not effected and certainly not arrested or had their goods confiscated. I suggest just look at our history when thinking about this type scenario, will save alot of heartburn.

Sourdough
04-15-2009, 08:59 AM
I hoard Freedom, Liberty, and a Quality of life worth living.

mountain mama
04-15-2009, 09:16 AM
if there is a law, how are they going to lock up all the Mormons?

Pict
04-15-2009, 09:33 AM
Hoarding and price fixing laws get enacted as a necessary corollary to rationing when a government decides to suspend the normal laws of supply and demand to meet the needs of some national emergency. Under such circumstances government suddenly becomes the largest consumer of a particular commodity and prices skyrocket. Hoarding laws make little sense outside of that severe imbalance in the normal laws of supply and demand. Mac

BK-72
04-15-2009, 05:26 PM
I seem to recall reading something about this several weeks back, I'll see if I can't locate that again

I did find these links though -
http://www.blackwebportal.com/nuforums/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=6&Topic=4384

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread452286/pg1

RobertRogers
04-15-2009, 06:12 PM
Make no mistake - if there were a long term national emergency you can bet that those of us with a years supply (or more) of food and fuel on hand will have much of our stocks confiscated for redistribution.

When 99% of the unprepared population is starving and cold (at least in my northern climate) there are going to be many people who envy my preps and feel they should have in on them.

It is a quick and easy matter to pass a law or ordinance. And of course the starving masses will include law enforcement and government officials who will likely have first dibs.

Rick
04-15-2009, 08:48 PM
Go look up the Executive Orders listed on that web site. Most of them date back to Kennedy and have been rescinded or superseded by later Executive Orders. RR is correct. If the government deems it necessary I'm sure they could take whatever they wanted. But the odds of that are slim to none in my book. Where do you draw the line on hoarding? Besides, they can only take what they know about. (Did I say that?).

crashdive123
04-15-2009, 08:51 PM
Besides, I've got it on good authority that all forum members that have stocked up on anything, have recently gotten rid of those stockpiles.

This has been a public service announcement for those that fear this is a real probability.

Rick
04-15-2009, 09:00 PM
Knock, knock, knock.

"Uhuh?"

"Are you Mr. Chip Munk?

"Uhuh."

"I'm Agent Swindle and this is Agent Hustle. We're with the Federal Bureau of Hoarding. We've had a report that you and your family have been hoarding food."

"E? Uh uh. Na Hrdng rund ere."

"Sorry to bother you."

http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q348/safe_zone/Chipmunk_Cheeks_sharpsized.jpg

SARKY
04-15-2009, 09:28 PM
The only time "hoarding" laws have been used has been in event of national emergency. The best example was WWII and was used primarily for metal, gasoline etc. They did not include food stuffs, ammo etc. This was due to the fact that they (food stuffs, ammo)became limited in availability and eventually rationed. The folks who had stored large amounts for whatever reason were not effected and certainly not arrested or had their goods confiscated. I suggest just look at our history when thinking about this type scenario, will save alot of heartburn.

IF and that is a big if you were still in the 1940s I wouldn't sweat it. But the climate of the country has changed much since then and the redistribution of your assets is no longer so far fetched. We now have a society that believes in entitlements and those entitlements could very easily include your stash of food etc.

crashdive123
04-15-2009, 09:39 PM
What stash? Didn't you read post 12? Sheesh....ya try and help a fella out...

SARKY
04-15-2009, 09:58 PM
I must have have missed it, Have you read the homeland security assesment? It seems even thinking about hoarding food would make you a suspect. Tell that's not crazy!!!

LowKey
04-15-2009, 10:30 PM
But Officer, I am a Mormon. Really!

Hoarding ammo on the other hand, here in good ole Nannychusetts, you have to have a Fire Department Powder Permit if you have over 10,000 rim fire, center fire, or shotgun rounds.

Even with the permit there are upper limits.

I'd call that an anti-hoarding law.:yes:
They know who you are.

Though I can see the firemen's point of view too.

Smok
04-16-2009, 02:30 AM
I think crashdive123....:thumbup:... is right I going to get rid of my stuff just to not be on anyones list

Rick
04-16-2009, 07:15 AM
If I were a fireman, I'd dang sure want to know that the fire I was going to involved a powder keg. 10,000 rounds, yeah, I'd want to park the truck down the street a ways. You just better hope my stream of water reaches that far.:D

Badawg
04-16-2009, 04:04 PM
I think it's reasonable to let the fire department know if you have 10k rounds lying around...

As for hoarding... If it's that bad out there, I would gladly share out a portion of what I have... But you gotta know where to dig to find it.

Alpine_Sapper
04-16-2009, 04:10 PM
if there is a law, how are they going to lock up all the Mormons?

They're not. They are going to put them in a room with all the Jehovah's witness'es and ask one question;

Who is right?

They figure all they'll need is a good supply of body bags, toe tags, and a water hose to wash up afterwards.