PDA

View Full Version : How do you store your fishes?

Edmund
04-14-2009, 06:52 AM
Hi, I'm new to this forum and also new to wilderness survival and all related.
I wanna know whats the usual/best way to store caught fishes in order to not let them go bad, and also portable.

Rick
04-14-2009, 07:44 AM
As in the wilderness? If you're going to be in one spot for a few days then smoking them is probably the best way to preserve them. Lot's of different ways to do that. Open frame work, tipi type enclosure. You can also dry them in the sun by hanging them on a rack.

Both methods have been used for eons. Personally, I'd prefer smoking them.

Ken
04-14-2009, 07:51 AM
And there are right ways and wrong ways of doing it ..........

crashdive123
04-14-2009, 07:57 AM
Several methods of preserving fish without refridgeration are available. Smoking, as Rick said is probably the most common - especially if you are out in the wilderness without a lot of supplies. I used to listen to stories my grandfather would tell (he was a fishing captain of several three masted schooners) about salting fish to preserve them. He took me out on one of the boats (a bit more modern in the 60's as they had engines in them now and did not rely soley on sail power) and they still preserved their catch with salt.

When you get a chance, and before you spoil - head on over to the Introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself. Thanks.

Edmund
04-14-2009, 09:08 AM
Hmmm, I see. What about insulating packs/containers? Will they work? What about keeping them in zip lock bags?
Thanks.

RBB
04-14-2009, 10:19 AM
Hi, I'm new to this forum and also new to wilderness survival and all related.
I wanna know whats the usual/best way to store caught fishes in order to not let them go bad, and also portable.

If you are just storing them until you get home, there are certain types of thick sphagnum moss that you can wrap your fish in. If you keep the moss wet, your fish will stay relatively fresh for three days.

trax
04-14-2009, 03:32 PM
Depends how many fish you're talking about here. Cooking and consuming them is one good way to make them transportable.

Rick
04-14-2009, 04:05 PM
Okay, what are you wanting to do with them? Are you just carting them home or do you plan to do something with them while you are out?

Edmund
04-14-2009, 04:15 PM
Some for eating while I'm still out, the leftovers I'll bring it home.

crashdive123
04-14-2009, 04:27 PM
Are we talking just out for the day?

Rick
04-14-2009, 04:55 PM
If you are only talking a few days, I only catch what I'll eat for that day.

vthompson
04-14-2009, 08:24 PM
Whenever we go fishing, we only keep what we think that we will eat for that day.

Rick
04-14-2009, 08:29 PM
If you have an ice chest or ice cooler, you can throw the fish in that on top the ice. They will stop wiggling and appear to be dead. But if you toss them in some tepid water when you get home, presto!, live fish again.

crashdive123
04-14-2009, 08:38 PM
Gotta say, when I first read the thread title I thought it may be along the lines of.....

http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/jgr/lowres/jgrn219l.jpg

FVR
04-15-2009, 04:58 AM
It's fish, not fishes. No such thing as fishes.

As far as how would I store my fish? If I have more than I can eat, I would cook them or smoke them to get out the moisture and wrap up for later.

crashdive123
04-15-2009, 06:13 AM
It fish unless you've watched too many episodes of the Sopranos, and then it's fishes - as in sleeping with the fishes...

Rick
04-15-2009, 06:49 AM
The guy's from Singapore. It's fishes if he wants it to be fishes. Go feed your gooses.

LowKey
04-15-2009, 10:16 PM
Most of the best shore fishing we do is about a mile (or more) from where we park the car. No carrying a cooler that far. But you can get a beach hauler knapsack that is fairly watertight to carry a couple 5lb bags of ice and your bait. On the beach you keep the bag covered with wet seaweed the ice will last for many hours.

Bait weight is a self correcting problem, to be replaced by the weight of your catch. And you dump the water off the ice before returning.

If the blues are biting, we smack em and bleed em and fillet them into ziplocs right on the beach then put them inside a trashbag to sit in the ice with the bait. You don't want to be using just trash bags to hold your catch. Some are made from bad plastic, others are 'odor control' treated.

You can also keep your fish on a stringer in the water until time to leave. (But not bluefish!)
The water is generally cooler than the shore.

Alpine_Sapper
04-15-2009, 10:45 PM
It's fish, not fishes. No such thing as fishes.

Not according to the dictionary. Fishes is an acceptable plural form.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fishes

crashdive123
04-15-2009, 10:56 PM
....and as long as the dictionary keeps on paying its protection money, it will continue to be acceptable.

canid
04-15-2009, 11:13 PM
Depends how many fish you're talking about here. Cooking and consuming them is one good way to make them transportable.

that was my first thought as well. i've used that method more often than not and i can't say i've ever had fish go bad on me :D

one thing to remember about cold smoking and jerking/drying freshwater fish is that neither of these methods grantee food safety.

it's relatively safe, and has been done for millenia, but then people in less developed countries, and in antiquity have had a lot more GI parasites.

flandersander
04-15-2009, 11:27 PM
I don't normally go on trips that take more than a couple hours to return to a place with refridgeration (camper) And if i'm tenting, the place where we camp freezes fish for the campers. I once tried to eat fish that had been in the freezer for almost a year. It tasted oily and gross. In retrospect it was a poor choice.

Rick
04-16-2009, 07:27 AM
What? No talk of conspiracy about keeping words out of the dictionary? I'm disappointed. I would have said ******* but the feds won't let that word be used.

FVR
04-16-2009, 07:49 AM
Whatever..........

canid
04-16-2009, 03:29 PM
my tinfoil must be blocking the signal, all i could see where asterisks...