PDA

View Full Version : Videos

Chris
09-21-2007, 08:36 PM
I've noticed in many threads people mentioning plans/projects/trips and a few times people wanting to film things.

I was thinking that it'd be a great addition to this site to have instructional videos if someone wanted to make them. I could get an interface like youtube for watching them. I would do a straight 50/50 revenue split on the video ads with the creator (and yes, there would need to be ads, video uses a bunch of bandwidth and bandwidth is expensive). Like a vlog or podcast or whatever you wanna call it.

If that interests you, let me know. Who knows, maybe you'll get noticed and get your own survival show on Discovery, others have gotten their big break by starting with Internet video.

Sarge47
09-21-2007, 09:54 PM
I've noticed in many threads people mentioning plans/projects/trips and a few times people wanting to film things.

I was thinking that it'd be a great addition to this site to have instructional videos if someone wanted to make them. I could get an interface like youtube for watching them. I would do a straight 50/50 revenue split on the video ads with the creator (and yes, there would need to be ads, video uses a bunch of bandwidth and bandwidth is expensive). Like a vlog or podcast or whatever you wanna call it.

If that interests you, let me know. Who knows, maybe you'll get noticed and get your own survival show on Discovery, others have gotten their big break by starting with Internet video.

Please don't encourage the "Bare Wilderness Team", okay?:rolleyes:

owl_girl
09-21-2007, 10:28 PM
That’d be cool.

Chris
09-22-2007, 08:52 AM
It wouldn't be like full length trip videos or anything like that. More like 10 minutes "Here is how" videos. Like you can have a description on how to use a firebow, but a 5-10 minute video demonstration is far more compelling.

Fire making, shelter making, food finding, water finding. Etc.

If enough people could do it it'd be fun to do a "What can you eat" series. Everyone goes out in their area and videos 20 edible plants found in the area.

wareagle69
09-22-2007, 12:17 PM
i am absolutley in for the videos, especially since my wild edibles course last weekend what a blast my confidence has gone way up now.

owl_girl
09-22-2007, 03:03 PM
i am absolutley in for the videos, especially since my wild edibles course last weekend what a blast my confidence has gone way up now.
Yay you're back :D :D :D. You got to go on a wild edibles course…I’m jealous

mbarnatl
09-22-2007, 10:07 PM
Why not just use You Tube and just add the links on the forum. Saves the bandwidth. DivX (http://stage6.divx.com/) is another one to use. Better quality than You Tube.

Here is "wild food 1" (http://stage6.divx.com/user/raptordog/video/1274317/wild-food-1) video.

Chris
09-23-2007, 11:13 AM
Why not use YouTube? For a couple reasons.

1. There are millions of videos on YouTube. It is harder to get noticed in the crowd.

2. You get far less benefit by posting on Youtube.

I would like videos on this site because I think they'd increase traffic and make this site more useful. Putting them on YouTube doesn't help in that regard.

Making a video and posting it here instead of YouTube would be more beneficial for the video-author because they'd get more targetted exposure here and could build up a whole interlinked library. I regularly get emails from people wanting survival experts to testify in court, or survival experts to interview for TV shows, or survival experts to help run a school, etc etc. Believe it or not but this site is one of the top (traffic wise) wilderness survival sites on the entire Internet. It gets a lot of attention.

then of course, even if it didn't lead to bigger things, the author would still get a share of the ad revenue from the videos.

mbarnatl
09-23-2007, 12:14 PM
Making a video and posting it here instead of YouTube would be more beneficial for the video-author because they'd get more targetted exposure here and could build up a whole interlinked library.
That sounds great!

the edge
09-28-2007, 11:00 AM
Sounds good. Id love to do it.

Chris
09-28-2007, 01:04 PM
Well... pick a topic, ask me if its a good idea by PM, then you'd need to film it and if you're able import it to a digital format and email it to me, OR, mail a tape to me. If you mailed it it'd have to be a digitcal tape (minidv for instance) from a digital camcorder.

trax
09-28-2007, 06:00 PM
I'm not a videographer and I have no intention of packing a camera around with me in the bush, nevertheless, for those who do, I'd certainly welcome their input.

The other advantage this site has over YouTube and similar venues is that the site is subject specific, easier to find people relating to what you're making your video about.

Beo
12-04-2007, 02:36 PM
Strap that camera on your azz and shoot it from that view:D

trax
12-04-2007, 03:06 PM
better make sure you got the camera pointed in the right direction...or have plenty of back lighting.

Beo
12-04-2007, 03:11 PM
The title could be: This is what I did. As you walk away that way no could prove you were a fake like Bear.

MCBushbaby
12-04-2007, 04:09 PM
Anyone have a miniDV camera they'd recommend. There are so many off-brands and name-brands that it's confusing to me, as a none camera-type person. Something under $100 that has the minimal features but is rugged enough for the outdoors. Preferably something with these specs:

6hr+ run time on one charge