PDA

View Full Version : Poll : Ammo/Guns "flying off the shelf"?

wildography
04-12-2009, 07:07 PM
In the past few weeks, I have seen several news articles that describes how ammunition, and to a lesser extent - firarms, are being bought in such quantities that many stores are having a hard time keeping ammunition in stock... are you seeing that in your area?

nell67
04-12-2009, 07:14 PM
Yea,at the store I work at,2 guys purchased all the .22 ammo they saw on the shelves,they missed the shells on the "pog" counters,but they got quite a haul of ammo with what they got.

crashdive123
04-12-2009, 07:20 PM
Several places that usually sell it for less can't seem to keep much in stock. Mostly what I am having difficulty in finding are the bulk quantites 500 to 1000 round cases. It's there, but you have to look pretty hard.

Rick
04-12-2009, 07:23 PM
.45, .40, 9mm and 22 are nearly impossible to find. Some of the larger calibers like 30.06 are pretty scarce, too. Shotgun in all calibers is still pretty easy to find.

oly
04-12-2009, 07:27 PM
Seen a person trying to get .38 and they told him good luck finding them.

Kankujoe
04-12-2009, 08:20 PM
I was at the Tulsa Arms Show last weekend and .380acp if you could find it was selling for as much as $70 per 50 round box. One table was selling CCI minimags .22lr for $16 per 100 round box. Both 7.62x39 & .223 was going for $400 per 1000.

Ken
04-12-2009, 08:28 PM
*Makes mental note: Buy more ammo this week.*

*Asks self question: "Where am I gonna' put ANOTHER gun and ammo safe?"*

crashdive123
04-12-2009, 08:35 PM
Safe room in the new house maybe?

Ken
04-12-2009, 08:38 PM
Safe room in the new house maybe?

The plans are in the works. I just may have to cut down on the size of the workshop. :sad:

crashdive123
04-12-2009, 08:41 PM
Something like this?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3031/2606690439_9a86305f0c.jpg

Ole WV Coot
04-12-2009, 08:43 PM
It just ain't to be had anywhere around here. The only thing you can find are skeet loads. Imagine sticking a 12ga in somebody's ear just to get their attention. I haven't fired my usual 150 rounds per week in a month but I am busy looking for baseball size rocks.

Ken
04-12-2009, 08:48 PM
Something like this?

I wish. My honey has already accepted the small gun safe in the bedroom and the LARGE one in the safe room downstairs. She's accepted all the gear and supplies. She's accepted the generator, the food and water storage, and the BOBS. She's actually excited about the garden - her green thumb is alot greener than mine.

Now - how do I convince her we need an addition on the house for the stuff I still want to add?

I was thinking ..... Maybe a few new rooms at ground level with more basement room for me ......

Chris
04-12-2009, 09:38 PM
I was looking online comparing prices for 357 ammo, but every store I found was sold out.

Sourdough
04-12-2009, 10:31 PM
This is your government speaking: Please Pay attention, we said we would not take your firearms, The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled the peoples right to own firearms..................

NO BODY said you had the right to AMMO.

Which would be imposable to control, the existing Millions of firearms, or future sales of ammo.

You go before the people and say: You can own a thousand firearms, own five thousand firearms, Continue to hunt with the NEW ammo, that has primers that self destruct in 300 to 400 days after manufacture. NO one is saying you can't own firearms, no one is saying you can't hunt. Anyone caught with old style ammo will go to jail for ten years.

When we want to make you neutered, we just issue a 6 months moratorium on new ammo sales. Then we wait 6 months, and give you 90 days to turn in all firearms.:)

Ken
04-12-2009, 10:57 PM
News and Press Releases

Ammunition in High Demand

Winchester Ammunition 4/7/2009

"Winchester Ammunition, like other ammunition manufacturers, has seen the demand for our products increase significantly since last fall. To meet that increased demand, our operations are running 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Our team is literally working around the clock to make quality ammunition available for purchase. We remain absolutely committed to meeting the growing needs of our customers."

Rick
04-13-2009, 12:22 AM
Exactly. This isn't a government control thing. This is a paranoia level hoarding that the manufacturers can't keep up with. This is a marketing dream come true for them. They couldn't buy this kind of frenzy with advertising if they tried.

crashdive123
04-13-2009, 06:37 AM
Paranoia? Who's paranoid?

*What's that? Another 20,000 rounds? Yes dear.*

Sourdough
04-13-2009, 09:18 AM
I want to be clear that I am not paranoid about the government taking action. My point is if you buy a new gun, you should buy a fair amount of ammo for it. I have about 20 five gal. jerry jugs of gasoline for the same reason. Gun are tools, and like my chainsaws, log splitter, snow machine, emergency generators, they are useless tools without fuel.

I agree with Rick, that said, now that they know people well pay more, don't expect .22LR to go back to $00.85 per box. All ammo prices will stay higher than it was. This was a good wake-up warning for people. Most of the gun stores in Alaska have no ammo, or little ammo. Sales here are up 800%.

The one thing I am paranoid about is world change......Old people don't like change, not even good change, old people want things steady and stable.

We have massive world change going on. Massive.....

VampireRanger676
04-13-2009, 09:41 AM
i know right i mean i go and buy two handguns and try and buy couple hundred rounds od ammo and they call the cops lmao jking

SARKY
04-13-2009, 09:48 AM
The nut case anti gunners feel EMPOWERED because the rule the house, senate and their Messiah is the prez. As such they are trying to push thru all these redicilous laws pretaining to ammo.

Sourdough
04-13-2009, 10:13 AM
Democracy is two wolves and a rabbit voting on what to have for lunch.

Liberty is a well armed rabbit preventing the vote from being enforced.:)

wildography
04-13-2009, 10:50 AM
Democracy is two wolves and a rabbit voting on what to have for lunch.

Liberty is a well armed rabbit preventing the vote from being enforced.:)

Wow... I'm impressed... that's a good analogy. Given the standard of human nature today, the tendency is for those with power, money, influence, etc to force their agenda over the good of the country - or group.

You have my vote!

Rick
04-13-2009, 10:53 AM
Is that really a Cootism? I don't know how to act with two "Coots" on the forum. I'm not sure we can stand it. Either way, spoken like a true politician. Nice job.

NCO
04-13-2009, 04:52 PM
For us, no change to either way when it comes to ammo sales.
Only recent change is stricter laws in getting premission to carry a firearm. You got to be 18 instead of 15(or was it 16) and for handguns you need really good reason. This due two tragic school massacres in last couple of years. Funny thing is that politicans don't seem to understand that it is not the easy acces to guns and ammo that causes such things, it is the increase of mental problems of people.

Rick
04-13-2009, 08:33 PM
Bravo!!

Here here!!

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44724000/jpg/_44724277_crowd416.jpg (http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44724000/jpg/_44724277_crowd416.jpg)

SARKY
04-14-2009, 12:38 AM
Sorry if I went off a bit in an earlier post, but if you saw the laws that have recently been passed and those that they are trying to push through here in California you would cringe. Of course our esteamed senator wants to push through another assault gun ban bill.
Do any of you have a definative definition of an assault weapon???

Sourdough
04-14-2009, 12:52 AM

Cars, Trucks, Baseball bats, I have a Bad'A$$ four prong Pitch-fork, I have five assault-Geese they can peck you to death in 15 minutes. On the north 40 there are my highly skilled assault Grizzly Bears......:smash::smash::smash:

Rick
04-14-2009, 07:59 AM
Yeah, what he said.

John Guano
04-14-2009, 07:38 PM
No fuel for survival?

Green plants and tomahawks will never die (permanently). An AK47, a Mosin Nagant and a .22 with a scope with 5,000 rounds each will give you one heck of a head start in my book for survival. And don't forget your cache tubes! Have a look - see here for the tomahawks:

http://www.rmjtactical.com/

oldsoldier
05-07-2009, 09:51 PM
crash..... How'd ya get the pics of my basement?????

Rick
05-07-2009, 09:53 PM
Ain't it the truth? When a man owns a flame thrower there just ain't much left to drool over.

Chris
05-08-2009, 09:01 AM
Sorry if I went off a bit in an earlier post, but if you saw the laws that have recently been passed and those that they are trying to push through here in California you would cringe. Of course our esteamed senator wants to push through another assault gun ban bill.
According to Rosie O'Donnel (My favorite person) it is "a gun that fires a bullet, every time you pull the trigger."

... is it supposed to happen every other time Rosie dear?

Ole WV Coot
05-08-2009, 07:16 PM
According to Rosie O'Donnel (My favorite person) it is "a gun that fires a bullet, every time you pull the trigger."

... is it supposed to happen every other time Rosie dear?

The only thing I agree with Rosie on is we both like women. She is a waste of good air and so stupid the NRA would do well to hire her. That person kinda wants to make me :bat:......I quit, time for the blood pressure stuff.:drool:

Rick
05-11-2009, 05:17 PM
I went on the eternal quest today for more ammo, which isn't to be found. Wally World now has a sign stating you can only buy six boxes at a time so other folks can get some. I have no idea how many times you can get in line.

Goloth
05-13-2009, 01:41 PM
In the past few weeks, I have seen several news articles that describes how ammunition, and to a lesser extent - firarms, are being bought in such quantities that many stores are having a hard time keeping ammunition in stock... are you seeing that in your area?

You know, I know we aren't allowed to post on politics... but I'm not sure if this constitutes as political - if it does, please delete this post admins.

But I think that people are scared that Obama is gonna ban firearm use - which we all know is impossible, so people are stocking up and freaking out. Just an opinion, but again, please ignore the political end of it :D

Rick
05-13-2009, 02:24 PM
Once a frenzy starts it just feeds on itself. I buy more than I normally would because I know if I find any kind of ammo it might be weeks before I find it again so I buy all I can. Everyone is doing it and the manufacturers can't keep up. Part is the concern of some law being passed but I think it has taken on a life of its own now.

crashdive123
05-13-2009, 04:06 PM
As everybody has said, it is tough to find ammo in stock at Wal Mart. When they get it in the seem to stock the shelves (at least around here) at about 9:30. I picked up a bit, and the cashier let me know that Wal Mart has just put a six box limit on purchases of ammo.

tacmedic
05-24-2009, 03:52 AM
I was at a gun shop the other day and one of the sales people said that their firearms sales are starting to go down because people can buy the gun, but then they can't find any ammo for it anywhere.

mcfd45
05-24-2009, 09:18 AM
You know, I know we aren't allowed to post on politics... but I'm not sure if this constitutes as political - if it does, please delete this post admins.

But I think that people are scared that Obama is gonna ban firearm use - which we all know is impossible, so people are stocking up and freaking out. Just an opinion, but again, please ignore the political end of it :D

It is very much possible. We won DC vs. Heller by 1 justice. A justice is stepping down and obama is going to appoint a new one. Any guess as to the new SC justice's gun control policy? He also doesn't have to ban all guns, he needs but to make ammo to expensive. He could increase the excise tax and we would be without protection from the 2nd amendment.

texashiker
05-29-2009, 12:23 PM
Ever since November firearms are getting difficult to find, and ammo is rare. Everytime I go to the local sporting goods store, they are sold out of pistol ammo and 22 long rifle - and especially the cheap stuff. Once the price of 22 reaches $25 - $30 a box, the stores have plenty of that in stock.

A couple of the stores marked the prices of ars and aks up by 3X overnight. After obama was elected, the stores around here had their wasr-10s marked at around 1,400. When just a couple of weeks earlier they were $375. The big discount stores are staying pretty stable on their gun prices, and especailly the ARs. One guy told me they are selling out of ARs the same day they arrive at the store. They only put a couple out on display, or people will buy all of them at the same time.

Ole WV Coot
05-29-2009, 07:30 PM
Yep, problem is catching up with you. We now have a two box limit (when we can find it). I don't practice anymore. Good luck, and keep what you have and be glad you are familiar with firearms. Practice is great but not at the risk of depleting my supplies.

Rick
05-29-2009, 07:34 PM
The sports guy at Wally Moto told me to call them around 4:00. They would know what is on the truck and would be putting it out that evening. Now if someone in sporting goods would just answer the **** phone!

chiye tanka
05-29-2009, 09:21 PM
This is why all my weapons are chambered in rounds that the S.O. carries.
They are happy to supply us target ammo.

mcfd45
05-29-2009, 10:27 PM
This is why all my weapons are chambered in rounds that the S.O. carries.
They are happy to supply us target ammo.

Lucky, all I get are pupil lights and trauma shears.

pgvoutdoors
05-30-2009, 12:08 PM
45, 40, & 9mm have been selling out on a regulare basis for the past six months or so. All of these have a purchase limit on them at the big retailers.

chiggersngrits
06-06-2009, 09:00 PM
Went to the local ammo dump yesterday. They had a good supply of most calibers but prices were high.
Wolf M.C. in 76.2x39 or .233 was $399 per 1000. PMC 9mm $149 per 500. Federal .22lr, 36 gr. hp, $17.99 per 525.
The most overpriced was Fed 20ga. 3in. #2 buck $8.99 for 5.

tonester
06-28-2009, 03:52 AM
ive been looking for ammo for a few months now with no luck. yesterday me and my brother got lucky...we went to a gun store called Turners looking for ammo and we got there right when they got a new shipment! the guys over there told us that they get around 3 million dollars worth of ammo every shipment and that it sells out before the day is over...thats crazy.

crashdive123
06-28-2009, 05:33 AM
Sooooooooo....did you buy it all?

Mountain Man
06-28-2009, 10:56 AM
.223/5.56 is getting a lot easier to find on the web local still not so much. Same with every pistol caliber.

It seems people in California or buying as much as possible when it gets in stock.

Darn Wal-Mart 6box rule though, I got 6 boxes of 9mm and had to leave 2 back :( BLASTED!

endurance
07-02-2009, 02:55 AM
Here in Denver the last few weeks have really started to return to normal at the shops I go to. I have a choice of several different brands of both FMJ and HP ammo again, rather than just a box of each or neither. The stores have been less hectic, too. While the selection for mid-range assault rifles hasn't improved much, they are staying on the shelves a little while now.

Primers and powder is still in short supply, but otherwise, things are starting to look a little more normal around here.

Rick
07-02-2009, 07:03 AM
Hey Mountainman - You buy six boxes then your wife buys another six (if they have them). Works out okay. At least you double your purchase.

crashdive123
07-02-2009, 07:15 AM
Some have even been known to buy six boxes, put them in their vehicle - return to the store buy six boxes, put them in their vehicle - return to the store buy six boxes, put them in their vehicle - return to the store - just saying.

oldsoldier
07-02-2009, 09:19 AM
Ammo is hit and miss here and getting high 9mm that used to cost $8.99 now $12.99. .22 ammo has gone from $3.99/100 to $7.99/1OO That's why I ordered $2,000 worth of reloading equipment last week when it gets here i can reload 9mm,.38,.40,.44,.45, .357,in pistol and .223,30-30,30.06,7.62x39 in rifle to start. plan on getting some other cals. and shotgun dies later. So once I get started keep your brass and if it gets to bad I'll reload it at cost for forum members.

Mountain Man
07-02-2009, 12:20 PM
We live over an hr away from wal-mart and rarely do we both go together... but the idea is solid ;) And the return after getting 6 would work with some employees, one even told me he would sell me more than 6... this time it was a stickler!

Jendeere
07-10-2009, 08:35 PM
My walmart is the same way, 6 box rule but their shelves are empty other than 28 gauge shotgun shells anyway. I guess its time to start reloading. I should have been all along, I bought some of the equipment a few years ago and forgot about it.

Rick
07-10-2009, 08:37 PM
Wait!!!!! A woman that reloads?! Does your husband know what he has?! Drag him over to the computer. Go on, get him over here. Show him this!!!!!

http://www.overseaspropertymall.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/1milliondollarbill01.gif

Jendeere
07-10-2009, 08:49 PM
Wait!!!!! A woman that reloads?! Does your husband know what he has?! Drag him over to the computer. Go on, get him over here. Show him this!!!!!

http://www.overseaspropertymall.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/1milliondollarbill01.gif

No other women reload? I only have the setups for 20 and 12 gauge. I save brass for everything I shoot though, or find because my dad reloads everything.