PDA

View Full Version : Storing Gasoline

Rick
04-12-2009, 06:49 PM
Since I've gotten the generator I guess I need some way to store gas. I can only store 20 gallons but that should give me close to 40 hours continuous run time. I like the idea of the Blitz Jerry Can. So far, this is the cheapest site I've found.

http://www.reliablepaper.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=765-11010&Click=671

I live in a sub division so I don't have the option of a 500 gallon tank or anything like that. Anyone have any other ideas before I take the leap and order 4 of these guys?

Ken
04-12-2009, 06:55 PM
Thanks, Rick. That's the best price I've seen yet for that type of jerry can.

There are a number of additives that will help keep gas "fresh" for up to two years. Here's one of several:

http://www.boatbandit.com/starbrite-ez-store-ez-start-gas-storage-additive-4812.aspx

Here are some tips for long term storage:

http://www.alpharubicon.com/altenergy/gasstoretg.htm

crashdive123
04-12-2009, 06:56 PM
If you've got any boat sales type places near by (or Craigs List) you can often find these at a reasonable price. This one is 14 gallons, but they come in several sizes. I used to have a 28 gallon gas caddy. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0036107018237a&navCount=1&podId=0036107&parentId=cat420004&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&catalogCode=IK&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat420004&cmCat=netcon&cm_ven=netcon&cm_cat=Google&cm_pla=portable%20gasoline%20tanks&cm_ite=netcon&rid=0180101070502&hasJS=true

tennecedar
04-12-2009, 07:01 PM
Have you thought about a plastic 55 gallon drum? I get mine from the local farmers co-op. I give them what their deposit on it would be. They get them in filled with methanol for mixing with water to fill tractor tires. Doesn't freeze when mixed right. Anyway that's my place for finding them. It's also where i get methanol for anything that burns alcohol. (Just don't tell my secret.) The ones I get are blue and made for volitile chemicals. Any place that fixes tractor tires should have em.

Rick
04-12-2009, 07:03 PM
I'm just afraid of the plastic. Not only do they produce static but they can be punctured much easier than the metal cans.

I plan on dumping Sta-bil in it. I doubt I'll cycle through the much gas in one summer. Actually 25 gallons because I already have a 5 gallon can I use for the mower, etc. I'll store the four 5 gallon containers. I didn't think about the 5% head space so I appreciate that link!

wildography
04-12-2009, 07:27 PM
If you have any friends that own a ranch, farm, trucking business, etc, they may have access to gasoline storage, and the capability to store it for you. Of course, you want to make sure that its secured... you don't want to pay for gas and find out that its not there when you need it.

Rick
04-12-2009, 07:31 PM
I don't want to have to try and make tracks to some place else when the power goes out or really severe weather hits. I just want to fire up the generator and put some AC back in the house. On site storage is about the only thing I can do and I'm limited from a safety perspective and maybe from a zoning perspective for all I know. (No, I don't care to look it up. Then I'd know and couldn't do it. This way I just claim to be stupid, which should be pretty believable.)

Alpine_Sapper
04-14-2009, 12:08 PM
I don't want to have to try and make tracks to some place else when the power goes out or really severe weather hits. I just want to fire up the generator and put some AC back in the house. On site storage is about the only thing I can do and I'm limited from a safety perspective and maybe from a zoning perspective for all I know. (No, I don't care to look it up. Then I'd know and couldn't do it. This way I just claim to be stupid, which should be pretty believable.)

I've been considering a couple of those metal blitz cans myself. I use the plastic ones for water as a throwback habit from the military. They are great...rigid, relatively secure, etc. etc. I have an SUV, and those little reciever hitch style cargo carriers can be bought that are made to hold those. You can stack 4 or 5 in the carrier. Not that I'm all that keen on storing water and fuel next to each other, but in a BOB scenario, if you are not already carrying a trailer, it may be something you want to consider.

Ole WV Coot
04-14-2009, 12:53 PM
Try to keep your vehicles full. That's about 40 gal that can be recovered by a good ole WV Credit Card (4' hose) or open the tank drain. In an emergency like the past winter comes in handy to remember.

Rick
04-14-2009, 12:56 PM
That's something I do all the time. Both vehicles are filled at the half way mark.

Schleprok
04-25-2009, 09:57 PM
Definetly agree with keeping the vehicles full. Even those in my collection that aren't driveable have enough fuel in them to keep things going awhile. STA-BIL is the key. There's a small engine shop just down the street. If you bring them something that won't start, the first thing they do is ad STA BIL and try to crank it. Works about 90% of the time they tell me.
Old fuel, add STA BIL and perhaps an octane booster to freshen it up a bit....

erunkiswldrnssurvival
04-25-2009, 10:25 PM
make sure that you use the fuel preservative, over time the gas can turn rancid losing its octane. any auto part store has in thier additives isle

wareagle69
04-26-2009, 08:09 AM
i've said it before and will say it again, propane folk, propane, what part of propane do you not get, propane..any misunderstanding about what(propane)i am refering to(propane)

Rick
04-26-2009, 08:14 AM
Well just trot you big tall self down here to Indiana and convert this gasoline generator over to propane for me. Otherwise, I don't think the blamed thing is gonna run very well on it. Bring along a propane diffuser, a Garretson regulator and spare gas shut off will ya 'cause I don't have any laying around that are right handy.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
04-26-2009, 08:17 AM
my mom taught me not to use propanity in public

wareagle69
04-26-2009, 08:21 AM
Well just trot you big tall self down here to Indiana and convert this gasoline generator over to propane for me. Otherwise, I don't think the blamed thing is gonna run very well on it. Bring along a propane diffuser, a Garretson regulator and spare gas shut off will ya 'cause I don't have any laying around that are right handy.

hey not my fault you did not listen to me before, i have always said propane is better, can run your genny and bbq and trailer and what ever you need and has long term storage.

wareagle69
04-26-2009, 08:22 AM

i,m an orphan, i never got those lessons:smash:

crashdive123
04-26-2009, 09:16 AM

Now that there's funny.

RunsWithDeer
04-26-2009, 11:28 AM
For gas that is for storing beyond a few weeks, try and get straight gas, with no ethanol. The ethanol collects water. There are a couple of gas stations near me that still sell it, but be sure to ask if the gas contains ethanol to be sure. It is no longer required that stations have to post if up to 10% ethanol is added. Ethanol is also bad on some types of storage tanks, the older fiberglass tanks will break down ( I found that out the hard way on my boat gas tank, had to replace it 3 years ago, and some expensive engine work to go with it).

edr730
04-26-2009, 04:32 PM
Pressure in the storage tanks caused from being in the sunshine will cause problems with condensation/water. Water will create many problems. It's a good idea to look at what is in the bottom of the storage tank at times by using sunlight or flashlight to see if water is on the bottom. Best not to use the bottom and instead put what is in the bottom in quart jars and wait for it to settle. Then just pour off the good stuff. I have heard the same problems concerning Ethanol that RunsWithDeer has heard about. A friend who rents boat motors has had repair problems with new boat motors. His mechanic has told him that it was due to Ethanol eating gaskets. I'm not a mechanic, but the problems with ethanol I have heard about from different people. Condensation, however, I have seen often.
Old gasoline seems to be a bigger problem than it used to be in years past. Part of this may be due to the gasoline of today and part may be due to the high tech engines of the chain saws and boat motors. Again, I am only a backyard mechanic, but, I know that my Jonsered chainsaw is particular about what gasoline and oil goes into it. Others with older Homelite chainsaws don't seem to have the same problems.

Rick
04-26-2009, 06:15 PM
I appreciate all the information but my question was about the Blitz Jerry Cans and a better method of storing gas. RE: Post #1.

All good stuff, though. Thanks!!!

crashdive123
04-26-2009, 06:23 PM
Since you prefer the metal cans - as far as new cans go, that is the best price that I have seen, and they should last for just about ever.

Rick
04-26-2009, 06:26 PM
Forever isn't necessary. Just one day more than me will be okay.:)

crashdive123
04-26-2009, 06:29 PM
They'll last long enough for the grand kids to fight over em.
http://pro.corbis.com/images/42-17073260.jpg?size=572&uid=%7B630297C5-8553-4ABA-B740-3AD86535E26C%7D

texashiker
05-11-2009, 05:25 PM
Check the local feed and fertilizer store. Sometimes the ones around here will get in some 16 gallon drums. They are made out of a heavy duty plastic and had some kind of syrup in them. They almost smell like dr. pepper syrup on the inside.

I'll take the time to rinse them out real good, put them in the shed and let them dry for a few days. Then fill up with gas. Even though they hold 16 gallons, I leave a little head room for vapors and only put 13 - 15 gallons in them.

The also make excellent storage units for kerosene. A store here in town sells kerosene by the gallon through a gasoline pump - but it only has kerosene in it. About 2 years ago I invested in 15 gallons of kerosene. This is for my backup kerosene heater for my home and kerosene lanterns.

TomChemEngineer
09-04-2009, 08:29 PM
OK, I know I'm digging up another old thread, but this kinda relates. I have a couple of cases of STP Octane Booster compliments of a friend in the business. Does anybody know if this stuff works for anything other than "octane boosting"? Could it maybe do some fuel system cleaning, maybe parts cleaning, bore cleaning, maybe preserving fuel like Sta-Bil? I'm looking for multiple uses for all this stuff. Any ideas? If not, I'll have to dig into it myself, and who knows what evil lurks there.

hunter63
09-04-2009, 10:43 PM
I just want to fire up the generator and put some AC back in the house.

LOL, sounds like my SIL, DD and SIL have a all electric house, in a hurricane area, (at least near enough that they get, a big storm out of one.
Also has a lot of tornadoes, ice storms etc, so does have a gen set.

Power does go out pretty often, so in 5 years he has burned down one genny and working on the second. 6000 w w/ 7500 surge.
I helped him pick up a new one, re-wire so it had the outside transfer switch etc.

First thing he wanted to start up was the a/c, which sucked up almost all the wattage.
Showed him the watt draw chart, and we added up what he wanted to run.
Came to about 12 kw, had to re-think his priorities, or risk burning up another genny.

Anyway, I like the jerry can idea, (gotta admit I am cheap enough my cans are plastic, gotta rethink that, thanks), as well as the Sta-bil., seems to work O.K. for me.

Trying to get straight gas (the "good stuff" ), is also a good idea.
I heard all kinda of stuff, about alcohol, evaporating, attracting moisture, destroying hoses and gaskets etc, but I will tell you that it does rot out the gas lines on my chainsaws, and other 2 4 cycle stuff.

The city house is in a smog emission area, so no "good stuff" around close, but at "The Place", our cabin, far enough out in the sticks, the stations have the good stuff.
I even buy it there and haul in across the state for the mowers, saws etc.
I also get about 3 more miles per gal with it.

Future plans are to try and make my own bio-diesel, either reprocessing cooking oil (this has it's drawbacks also), or pressing beans etc, so the new truck is a diesel, as well the tractor.

Next genny will be diesel or as was brought up, Propane, I do agree that it is a lot easier to store long term.

Actually the BOL is the cabin, only thing I would really need power for is the well pump.
We have wood heat, gas kitchen stove, gas dryer and plenty of candle and gas lanterns.
Do have a hand "stock pump", but it is really a PITA to get out any amount with out working your a$$ off.
Then again the river is right there also, (water filter anyone?)

Kinda ran on here, but
metal cas, good
Sta-bil, good
Good gas, good
Propane, very good
Thought every one did a good job on suggestions, but I couldn't just let the a/c go in a shtf.
Fridge for the beer..........now thats a whole 'nother story.

catfish10101
09-05-2009, 02:24 AM
Rick, those metal cans can give a static spark also (very quickly I might add), so you are not out of the woods on that one. It's best to ground or bond before using them. I shy away from metal cans as they tend to rust and the rust collects in the can (bad for fuel filters and carbs). I use a treatment called Seafoam to keep gas over time.

Rick
09-05-2009, 02:39 AM
Thanks, Catfish. I always make certain my fuel can touches earth prior to pouring...just in case. You can easily transfer a static charge from yourself to a can. It must work because I've yet to go boom.

As for rust, I put two, 2X2s down parallel and sat the cans on them to try and keep moisture off the bottom of the cans. Good point on the inside of the cans. I hadn't thought about that. I might get a filter funnel just in case. Thanks. I'd hate to be trouble shooting a generator in the dark while its storming just because the fuel filter clogged. Aaaargh! Ooooh. Spare fuel filters....this is never ending.

Rick
09-05-2009, 02:48 AM
@ TomChem - I use a cleaner in my van at every oil change. Most that I've used are some form of jet fuel. Any form of fuel more highly refined that gasoline will boost the octane. At least that's my understanding. It probably also cleans as well since it's more refined. I would think the label would help define what's in it.