PDA

View Full Version : EMP and your ride

Schleprok
04-12-2009, 09:36 AM
Didn't find anything on this, but might have missed a previous post. Anyway, here's my two cents worth.
If the survival scenario involves EMP (electromagnetic pulse), be it Nuclear related, Solar eruption, UFO, or??? Your bug out vehicle of choice won't run. Electronic ignition has failed. What to do....
Well, that new 4x4 sitting outside that I spent tons on getting it lifted and ready for anything is now useless. But, my Dad's old 84 Ramcharger in the backyard won't start either. But it will.
Older vehicles with point type distributor will run just fine. These systems can be adapted to most later vehicles through the 80s with little problem. Pretty simple, biggest issue is swapping the distributors. If you plan ahead, obtain the parts, you can practice ahead of time and see how simple it really is. Then you can keep the parts and tools in a small box in the vehicle just in case. Or, make the swap now and not have to do it in a stressfull situation. A timing light helps, but you can time it well enough to get down the road without one. If you have a vehicle with a carburetor instead of fuel injection, you can probably make this switch.
I was surfing and found a discussion on the motorcycle being the best bug out mode of transport. But, everyone there was talking about their new, high dollar bike. They won't run either. Buy something old. The cost is low. You will need to make repairs in most cases but you can learn as you go. Easier to work on and maintain. Plus, EMP resistant.....
Any thoughts?

Rick
04-12-2009, 10:27 AM
I couple of topics on the subject but not specific to your post.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1983&highlight=electromagnetic+pulse

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3552&highlight=electromagnetic+pulse

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3152&highlight=electromagnetic+pulse

Last couple of posts on this one:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1499&highlight=electromagnetic+pulse&page=2

If the cause were strong enough, solid state electronics are certainly at risk. That includes those computers in your car, communications, and even that watch on your wrist (if it's battery operated).

Good post. Something that needs to be included in our plans. The sun plays that little game with us on a recurring cycle.

Sourdough
04-12-2009, 10:35 AM
Buy an old truck, like my 1952' Military 6X6 it goes anywhere, and burns Gasoline or Diesel, or motor oil, transmission fluid, Mothballs and water. Build a 12' camper on the back, and your a turtle........:)

Schleprok
04-12-2009, 02:24 PM
Forgot to mention, if you have the only running vehicle in a TEOTWAWKI situation
it is apt to be a target for carjacking or government (what's left) confiscation for "emergency use"

Schleprok
04-12-2009, 02:31 PM
Rick, thanks for the post links, good info....

Sourdough
04-12-2009, 03:05 PM
Forgot to mention, if you have the only running vehicle in a TEOTWAWKI situation
it is apt to be a target for carjacking or government (what's left) confiscation for "emergency use"

NO Problem.......I just fire up the D-8 Cat, and start SKINNING.......:)

Rick
04-12-2009, 06:32 PM
And if he can't get it started he just let's it roll down hill. Sort of like bowling for looters.

Alpine_Sapper
04-14-2009, 11:59 AM
Buy an old truck, like my 1952' Military 6X6 it goes anywhere, and burns Gasoline or Diesel, or motor oil, transmission fluid, Mothballs and water. Build a 12' camper on the back, and your a turtle........:)

Not ever having had to work on that particular aspect of a diesel engine, will the "glow plugs" on the diesel engine still work, or could that be knocked out by an EMP?

Rick
04-14-2009, 01:08 PM
The glow plug would be fine. It's little more than a heater inside the cylinder. Depending on the year of the vehicle, the other electronics might be toast making any issues with the glow plug a mute point. But there are no solid state electronics in a glow plug that I've ever seen.

Smok
04-15-2009, 02:02 AM
I have given this subject some thought , but I have not dune anything about it , as of yet.. But I think that you are right newer cars and trucks will not run after a EMP

laughing beetle
04-15-2009, 02:15 AM
I would be ready to bug in, just in case. Up here there arent many old vehicles left on the road. Too much road salt equals rust buckets. However, there are quite a few classic cars that would probably be ok. The classic car guys keep their rides in the garage come winter. Could be the prime excuse for the husbands of the forum to give to the wives of the forum. "Now, you see honey, we really need to buy this 1957 Chevy Bel Air, because my plans for the great bugout when TSHTF are going to fall through if we get hit with an E.M.P.!! Now I know Junior's college education is important, but Honey! It's only got a little rust on it, the parts will only cost..." Yeah, the beetle would like to be on the wall for a couple of those conversations. :lol:

Rick
04-15-2009, 11:17 AM
There would be so much that would NOT work. Cars might be the least of our worries. Here are some things off the top of my head:

HOME: (Assuming new appliances with solid state electronics)
Computers
Digital Clocks
Microwave
Dishwasher
Radios
Telephone (Instruments contain solid state electronics)
Television
Furnace
Air Conditioner
Heat Pump
Electricity (Solid state switching, monitoring and micro wave transmission at generating plants and sub stations)
Water (Same)
Generators
Cameras
Nearly every major appliance and all forms of communication

OUTSIDE OF HOME

Traffic lights
Street lights
Locks on many businesses (electronic)
Security systems
Medical equipment
Controls and safety equipment at chemical and refinery plants
Same for nuclear generating stations
Gas station pumps
Sewage plants (polluting waterways)

We would have to learn the "Old Ways" pretty quickly.

mountain mama
04-15-2009, 11:32 AM
are there any sites that may have more instruction on modifying newer vehicles to avoid any interference from EMPs?

Rick
04-15-2009, 11:44 AM
A Faraday cage would work to protect smaller devices and could be put together pretty easily. Here's a site that talks about it.

http://www.unitedstatesaction.com/emp_and_faraday_cages.htm

Purely theoretical, of course. I'm not aware of anyone testing it. If your stored you walkies and other smaller electronic gear in a steel box it would probably be protected unless the source was extremely close (you probably wouldn't be around to care) or extremely powerful (same difference I suppose).

I would think most military vehicles would be protected by design. There are some schools of thought that a vehicle is in essence a Faraday cage and so the components would be protected. I'm not so sure about that. Again, I'm not aware of any tests having been conducted.

Here's a wiki on what a Faraday cage is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

But it would certainly work at some level.

tennecedar
04-15-2009, 12:01 PM
According to the wiki definition Steel and aluminum buildings and sheds work to stop emp's. I have two all steel covered sheds that all my stuff is in anyway. ATV, boat motor, generator, motorcycle, tractor, lawn mower, camping gear, etc. Both are grounded against lightning. So those items should have some protection. I would think.