PDA

View Full Version : Staying Healthy in the Face of Adversity

Rick
04-10-2009, 08:45 PM
I know a lot of folks on here are averse to having inoculations and immunizations. I'm not. I happen to believe they are one of the best things you can do to stay healthy. My tetanus, MMR and Pneumococcal are all up to date and I've had chicken pox. In addition, I receive Influenza vaccine on a yearly basis. So I'm covered.

Below are two graphs from the CDC. The first lists the suggested ages when immunizations should occur in adults. The second lists the recommended immunizations when other adverse medical conditions are present.

Do yourself and your family a favor and take a few minutes to look over the charts. It would be terrible to survive some calamity like an earthquake only to contract tetanus because you failed to keep your immunizations up to date.

And talk to your health care professional about immunizations for your children. The reason Smallpox has been eradicated in the general population is because of immunizations.

http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q348/safe_zone/vacine1.gif

http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q348/safe_zone/vacine2.gif

Ole WV Coot
04-11-2009, 12:21 AM
I don't take chances either. Just working outside service calls for 11yrs I was exposed to just about everything. Before I retired I made sure I got tested for everything from hangnails to social diseases.

RunsWithDeer
04-11-2009, 05:04 AM
I am up on all my shots, I travel for work to India, China, Brazil (amazon area near Manaus) and the company requires that I have all immunizations up to date. Depending on the area, I also take malaria pills.
I think my kids are up to date, I need to check.

crashdive123
04-11-2009, 07:43 AM
Good thread. Something everybody should check on and keep up to date with.

RangerXanatos
04-11-2009, 12:23 PM
The only shots I've EVER had are when I've been numbed for stitches. Never been immunized and I am healthier than most people. The two incidents whre I got cut and had the stitches are the ONLY times I've ever been to see a doctor. Many people believe that thier children cannot go to public school without recieving immunizations. All my father had to do was to sign papers saying that the school system would not be held liable. Though my father is a chiropractor and I have been getting adjustments since I was literally days old probably have a cause for an increased immune system. But if you want the immunizations, by all means get them.

vthompson
04-11-2009, 11:21 PM
I have always got every vaccination that I could possibly get or my doctor recommended. I thought that I was immune to everything that came along and at work one day I got injured and from that injury, I contracted the Flesh-Eating-Disease. That stuff turned my world upside down,and I am still healing from it.
I am now a germ freak and I always wash my hands or use hand sanitizer quite often and I still get the recommended shots that my doctor tells me about. A few germs can kill you if you aren't careful.

doren
04-12-2009, 07:05 AM
I'm up to date on my shots. It was a necessity after being stabbed and bitten by people on two separate occasions.

What sucks is when you have to take 850mg amoxicillin for ten days straight. I had the runs, and there was nothing that could stop or slow it down. By day 5, I was drinking two gallons of water and eating nearly 6,000 calories a day just to keep from feeling weak.

Rick
04-12-2009, 07:58 AM
About the only thing dirtier than the human mouth are my thoughts sometimes but that's another thread. I'd rather be bitten by a dog than a human. Nasty.

VT - My hat is off to you. Necrotizing Fascititis, regardless of the source, is a terrible infection and so difficult to stop. I know you must have spent a long time on the road to recovery. I just hope the rest of the trip is a bit easier.

We don't often concern ourselves with a little scratch or cut. And most of the time our bodies are quite capable of handling it without help. But there are several type of bacteria commonly present on our skin that can, under the right circumstances, cause horrific problems. Always clean a cut or scratch and keep a close eye on it for any type of infection. If pain increases in the area or you develop chills, fever or nausea or if the area becomes red, swollen or hot to the touch then see your physician. Necrotizing Fasciitis if a life threatening illness. About 30% of those contracting it die.

wareagle69
04-12-2009, 08:14 AM
i knew you was part of the gruberment. spies all sorts of spies here, is there a shot for that mr infiltraiter?

Rick
04-12-2009, 08:23 AM
Why, yes. Yes there is. Bend over please.

http://listverse.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/rhps-franksmockglovel.jpg (http://listverse.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/rhps-franksmockglovel.jpg)

wareagle69
04-12-2009, 08:33 AM
that figures

crashdive123
04-12-2009, 09:05 AM
What? Not a Rocky Horror fan? Who wouldn't like Dr. Frankenfurter?

Stairman
04-12-2009, 09:16 AM
I thought it was funny the other day watching a western, the indian had a big vaccination scar on his arm. I dont think indians got shots in the 1800's but I could be wrong. I got all my childhood shots the schools required. I dont travel abroad so havent had any since.

Rick
04-12-2009, 10:38 AM
Uh...bullet wound. Yeah, that's it. That's why he hated cowboys so much. That and the fact they stole his land, attacked his family, killed his buffalo, changed their way of life.....

Chris
04-12-2009, 11:24 AM
The only shots I've EVER had are when I've been numbed for stitches. Never been immunized and I am healthier than most people. The two incidents whre I got cut and had the stitches are the ONLY times I've ever been to see a doctor. Many people believe that thier children cannot go to public school without recieving immunizations. All my father had to do was to sign papers saying that the school system would not be held liable. Though my father is a chiropractor and I have been getting adjustments since I was literally days old probably have a cause for an increased immune system. But if you want the immunizations, by all means get them.

How do I say this without offending you? Hmmm.. I don't know if there is a way.

A chiropractor is not a medical doctor, they do not have training to diagnose or treat diseases, as much as they like to pretend they can by "prescribing" OTC meds, they can't prescribe medications because they don't get the training to understand the body's metabolism, physiology, and pharmacology. Manipulating the spine does not cure colds, infections, viruses, cancer, or anything else. Manipulating the spine does not increase your immune system.

Chiropractors who treat back pain with back manipulations, and things like that, are fine. Manipulation has it's place in patient care for such issues. But a chiropractor is not going to know if the issue is caused from something else, and the chiropractors who claim to be able to treat other things with the miracle of spinal realignment are quacks.

I was watching a show on TLC where a pregnant lady (who did not know she was pregnant, obviously not all her dogs were barking). Went to a chiropractor for abdominal pain and he diagnosed this very pregnant lady as having a bowel obstruction and decided to "cure" it by cracking her back. That kind of hubris, which is really the problem with the chiropractor profession, is dangerous.

Like the lady who didn't know she was pregnant, there are a lot of dumb people out there, people who do not understand the difference between a real doctor and a chiropractor. These people might go to a chiropractor for medical ailments a chiropractor has no business treating, but because of hubris they do so and the person doesn't get the care or diagnosis they really need.

If you want to see a chiropractor, fine, but see a doctor first. Let a medical professional make sure your problem isn't something more serious and help you decide if spinal manipulation could help you. Some doctors don't like chiropractors (for the hubris mentioned above) but plenty recognize the value of manipulation for certain specific things.

Or, go to see a DO, DO's are the same as MDs but as part of their medical education they also learn manipulation. Not all of them do it in their practice, but for the ones that do do it, you couldn't ask for something better. A real doctor with real medical education who isn't going to use spinal manipulation to treat everything that comes in his door because he actually has other tools at his disposal, but for the things that require it, he can do it, and meanwhile he can also prescribe anti-imflammatory steroids, or heavy duty pain killers, as well.

On anything not involving the spine I'd sooner take medical advice from a psychiatrist or a nurse than a chiropractor. A psychiatrist goes through 4 years of medical school and 4 years of residency the same as an ER doc or a surgeon, the specialization really doesn't happen until some 2nd (and then most 3rd) year of residency so thats 5-6 years of standard hands on medical education, delivering babies, doing surgery, etc. A nurse might not know or understand the underlying reasons for a condition, but through experience he is going to which symptons typically result in which treatments. A chiropractor though just has one tool in his toolbox and when he tries to use that tool like the medical equivalent of a 100 function swiss army knife it gets dangerous.

I'm sure I've offended you fully, and believe me it is nothing personal. I hope your Dad is the good kind of chiropractor that doesn't try to treat and diagnose things he has no business doing, but then again if you think cracking your back increases your immune system...

Superstition is no substitute for science.

RangerXanatos
04-12-2009, 01:11 PM

How do I say this without offending you? Hmmm.. I don't know if there is a way.

A chiropractor is not a medical doctor, they do not have training to diagnose or treat diseases, as much as they like to pretend they can by "prescribing" OTC meds, they can't prescribe medications because they don't get the training to understand the body's metabolism, physiology, and pharmacology. Manipulating the spine does not cure colds, infections, viruses, cancer, or anything else. Manipulating the spine does not increase your immune system.

Chiropractors who treat back pain with back manipulations, and things like that, are fine. Manipulation has it's place in patient care for such issues. But a chiropractor is not going to know if the issue is caused from something else, and the chiropractors who claim to be able to treat other things with the miracle of spinal realignment are quacks.

I was watching a show on TLC where a pregnant lady (who did not know she was pregnant, obviously not all her dogs were barking). Went to a chiropractor for abdominal pain and he diagnosed this very pregnant lady as having a bowel obstruction and decided to "cure" it by cracking her back. That kind of hubris, which is really the problem with the chiropractor profession, is dangerous.

Like the lady who didn't know she was pregnant, there are a lot of dumb people out there, people who do not understand the difference between a real doctor and a chiropractor. These people might go to a chiropractor for medical ailments a chiropractor has no business treating, but because of hubris they do so and the person doesn't get the care or diagnosis they really need.

If you want to see a chiropractor, fine, but see a doctor first. Let a medical professional make sure your problem isn't something more serious and help you decide if spinal manipulation could help you. Some doctors don't like chiropractors (for the hubris mentioned above) but plenty recognize the value of manipulation for certain specific things.

Or, go to see a DO, DO's are the same as MDs but as part of their medical education they also learn manipulation. Not all of them do it in their practice, but for the ones that do do it, you couldn't ask for something better. A real doctor with real medical education who isn't going to use spinal manipulation to treat everything that comes in his door because he actually has other tools at his disposal, but for the things that require it, he can do it, and meanwhile he can also prescribe anti-imflammatory steroids, or heavy duty pain killers, as well.

On anything not involving the spine I'd sooner take medical advice from a psychiatrist or a nurse than a chiropractor. A psychiatrist goes through 4 years of medical school and 4 years of residency the same as an ER doc or a surgeon, the specialization really doesn't happen until some 2nd (and then most 3rd) year of residency so thats 5-6 years of standard hands on medical education, delivering babies, doing surgery, etc. A nurse might not know or understand the underlying reasons for a condition, but through experience he is going to which symptons typically result in which treatments. A chiropractor though just has one tool in his toolbox and when he tries to use that tool like the medical equivalent of a 100 function swiss army knife it gets dangerous.

I'm sure I've offended you fully, and believe me it is nothing personal. I hope your Dad is the good kind of chiropractor that doesn't try to treat and diagnose things he has no business doing, but then again if you think cracking your back increases your immune system...

Superstition is no substitute for science.

No, I am not offended at all. You posted your opinion in a respectful manner.

I'm not an English major so escuse me if I jump all around, and I can only speak about my father's practice, not others as I have not seen their practices.

My father helps those he believes he can. If he doesn't believe he can, he refers them to someone else. And no, while he can't legally prescribe pain-relievers and the like. He has taken nutritional classes in which he he has learned about telling patients to take various supplements such as SOD, Norweigen Cod Liver Fish Oil, CoQ10, and Colostrum to name a few. Those supplements coupled with my father's adjustments have made numerous people feel better and regain their health. Many have straightened the back, and some have even have gained better vision.

You allude to having only one tool. That is not true of all chiropractors. Not only does my father adjust bones (not only the spine), but as I mentioned before he has knowledge of varius supplements, uses chi, magnets and other "tools."

You also stated about the amount of time in classroom leraning. Here's a site that compares class hours of Chiropractors versus Medical Doctors. http://www.drgrisanti.com/mddc.htm Not that they say "minimum" hours. Like other doctors, they have to have so many hours of class a year to keep their liscence. Also, may I state that most of all the Anatomy and Physiology instructors at my college are chiropractors.

Yes, some people are stupid as you mentioned the DC that said the pregnant woman had a bowl obstruction. But haven't you also heard of MDs prescribing the medication or surgeons leaving tools inside a patients body?

A sign reads in my my father's clinic, "Chiropractic first, Drugs second, Surgery last." Meaning that a person should try natural remedies before man-made cures.

Not meaning to be rude or anything, but have you ever really sat and talked with a chiropractor? There are some really neat things a person could learn!

"The doctor of the future will give no medication, but will interest his patients in the care of the human frame, diet and in the cause and prevention of disease."
- Thomas A Edison

Daniel

nell67
04-12-2009, 08:05 PM
No, I am not offended at all. You posted your opinion in a respectful manner.

I'm not an English major so escuse me if I jump all around, and I can only speak about my father's practice, not others as I have not seen their practices.

My father helps those he believes he can. If he doesn't believe he can, he refers them to someone else. And no, while he can't legally prescribe pain-relievers and the like. He has taken nutritional classes in which he he has learned about telling patients to take various supplements such as SOD, Norweigen Cod Liver Fish Oil, CoQ10, and Colostrum to name a few. Those supplements coupled with my father's adjustments have made numerous people feel better and regain their health. Many have straightened the back, and some have even have gained better vision.

You allude to having only one tool. That is not true of all chiropractors. Not only does my father adjust bones (not only the spine), but as I mentioned before he has knowledge of varius supplements, uses chi, magnets and other "tools."

You also stated about the amount of time in classroom leraning. Here's a site that compares class hours of Chiropractors versus Medical Doctors. http://www.drgrisanti.com/mddc.htm Not that they say "minimum" hours. Like other doctors, they have to have so many hours of class a year to keep their liscence. Also, may I state that most of all the Anatomy and Physiology instructors at my college are chiropractors.

Yes, some people are stupid as you mentioned the DC that said the pregnant woman had a bowl obstruction. But haven't you also heard of MDs prescribing the medication or surgeons leaving tools inside a patients body?

A sign reads in my my father's clinic, "Chiropractic first, Drugs second, Surgery last." Meaning that a person should try natural remedies before man-made cures.

Not meaning to be rude or anything, but have you ever really sat and talked with a chiropractor? There are some really neat things a person could learn!

"The doctor of the future will give no medication, but will interest his patients in the care of the human frame, diet and in the cause and prevention of disease."
- Thomas A Edison

Daniel

Hmm,other than for babies,I never thought of Colostrum as a suppliment.

tennecedar
04-12-2009, 08:33 PM

I've never seen a chiropractor working in a level 1 trauma center, or any hospital for that matter. I guess the majority disagrees with his sign.

Chris
04-12-2009, 08:51 PM
He has taken nutritional classes in which he he has learned about telling patients to take various supplements such as SOD, Norweigen Cod Liver Fish Oil, CoQ10, and Colostrum to name a few.

A multivitamin or herbal supplement != prescription medications. Eating heathy and living healthy makes you healthy sure, but pushing herbal supplements on people as a cure for a condition rather than just prevention is bad, and you don't need to go to a chiropractor who has taken a nutrition class to learn that fish oil or CoQ10 is good for you. Nor will doctors not tell you to take fish oil, most in fact would tell you the opposite. I'm a webmaster and I tell people to take fish oil.

The problem with herbal supplements (things like St Johns Wort, etc) is that most people don't realize that all natural != all safe. Cocaine is all natural afterall, hemlock is all natural, nightshade is all natural. They aren't regulated by the FDA, they do not have to be clinically tested, and side effects do not need to be disclosed. Many of them can have serious side effects, life threatening side effects. Herbal supplements are of course different from nutritional supplements or vitamins and minerals.

Superstition is not science. That is all quackery. Magnetism, chi, you're not proving your case here. That is basically no different than a faith healer. Most people wouldn't rely on western religion to cure their disease, but eastern religion is all exotic and people get fooled. And magents are just junk.

I actually didn't say anything about hours spent learning, because that has nothing to do with ability. It is the topic you learn that matters. Chiropractors learn anatomy, but not to the extent of actual doctors. They don't know the pharmacology, they don't know the biochemistry. They aren't allowed to prescribe medicine because they don't learn enough to prescribe it. And while I'm sure that some chiropractors do look at things scientifically, too many do not.

It wasn't that he made a mistake, it was that he had no business diagnosing a bowel obstruction. A chiropractor is NOT an internist. It was hubris of him to presume he had enough knowledge to diagnose a gastrointestional problem. He should have said "Go see a doctor" instead of "I'll crack your back, that'll get your bowels moving..." Everyone makes mistakes, a chiropractor can crack a neck using high velocity and cause an anyeurism and kill someone (happened to someone in my hometown a few years ago, she almost died, she passed out in the chiropractor's parking lot and they rushed her to the ER in time). A surgeon can leave a tool inside an incision. What is the difference is most doctors will not promote medically unsound or unfounded cures like magnetic bracelets, they could lose their license, they also won't (in my opinion out of professional insecurity) try to treat or cure things they arne't qualified for. If you go to a dermatologist and say you have depression, they don't give you a skin cream they refer you to a pyschiatrist. If you go to a podiatrist and mention you have erectile dysfunction, they'll refer you to a urologist.

If chiropractors just stuck with what they're trained for, manipulation to help musculoskeletal problems, I'd have no problem with them. Its the hubris that annoys me.

That is a matter of lifestyle, but the problem is many chiropractors will diagnose things they have no business diagnosing, and treating things they have no business treating. So the patient never gets to the doctor and the treatment they need.

I've been to chiropractors, even at the behest of a doctor. I've also had physical therapy done by physical therapists and DOs which is more or less the same thing. But the guy I've been to isn't one of the hippy ones. There is one in town though, I see her ridiculous advertising claiming a spinal alignment can cure all your ailments, its a joke.

I go to a chiropractor to get my back cracked when I need it. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't and I need to take prednisone or another antiimflammatory to fix the problem. I also went in highschool to a different chiropractor weekly for 3 years for neck pain... guess what... never got any better. He also misread an x-ray (or purposefully lied about what was on it). Which is another beef I have with them. You know what doctors are called that read x-rays? Radiologists, its all they do. Other doctors can read simple x-rays, but they almost always get a radiologist's opinion, because that is all they do, and what they trained to do, doctors know they aren't experts in all aspects of medicines and when a patient's health is on the line they don't risk it. Which is another difference between the professions.

Prevention is the ultimate medicine, but if you cannot prevent something then catching it early is usually the best thing, and the problem with chiropractors is that they can delay that catching by convincing the patient a doctor's opinion is not needed or by telling the patient something wrong.

RangerXanatos
04-12-2009, 08:57 PM

I've never seen a chiropractor working in a level 1 trauma center, or any hospital for that matter. I guess the majority disagrees with his sign.

If a person is gushing blood et al, then that person needs to be in the OR in a hospital, not in a Chiropractor's office. If a person suffers from a slipped disk, then see a chiropractor first, and go under the knife as a last resort. Guess I should have added under practical circumstances.

Rick
04-13-2009, 12:41 AM
So, steering back onto the highway... Check your family's immunization record and ensure their shots are up to date.

tennecedar
04-13-2009, 01:04 AM
And as an added bonus routine testing of communicable diseases isn't a bad idea. When I was with SAR I got tested every six months or after an exposure which ever was first. I have very little chance contracting anything these days, but I will continue to be tested annually.

Rick
04-13-2009, 01:08 AM
Those Navy guys and their shore leave. Oh...wait...you said SAR..my bad.

SAR, First Responders and other Health Care Professionals are always at risk. Extra precautions for all. There is a story running right now about a medical resident that tested positive for TB and may have exposed hundreds in the Chicago area.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-sat-tb-northwestern-0411-apr11,0,6820599.story

edr730
04-13-2009, 10:57 PM
Without many immunizing shots we'd have more people dying of disease. I believe that. I also believe that many products are sold that have little value whether it's tires, clothes, immunizations or medications and some of these products are dangerous to the consumer. That's the way it's always been and always will be. Some people trust agencies to protect them, others are suspicious. I'll admit that I fall under the more suspicious ones. In any case, it's always better to do a little research of your own before buying or consuming anything. Science and advertising are two completely different things.

Archives of Pediatric & Adolescent Medicine found that vaccinating young children against the flu had no impact on flu-related hospitalizations or doctor visits during two recent flu seasons. The researchers concluded that "significant influenza vaccine effectiveness could not be demonstrated for any season, age, or setting" examined.

Lancet found that influenza vaccination was NOT associated with a reduced risk of pneumonia in older people. Vaccination coverage among the elderly increased from 15 percent in 1980 to 65 percent now, yet there has been no decrease in deaths from influenza or pneumonia.

The New England Journal of Medicine, which concluded that vaccination against pneumonia does not reduce your risk of contracting the disease.

American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine last month also confirms that there has been no decrease in deaths from influenza and pneumonia, despite the fact that vaccination coverage among the elderly has increased from 15 percent in 1980 to 65 percent now.

Lancet Infectious Diseases: “We conclude that frailty selection bias and use of non-specific endpoints such as all-cause mortality have led cohort studies to greatly exaggerate vaccine benefits.”

A large-scale, systematic review of 51 studies, published in the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews in 2006, found no evidence that the flu vaccine is any more effective than a placebo in children. The studies involved 260,000 children, age 6 to 23 months.

Rick
04-14-2009, 08:09 AM
I, for one, appreciate your investigation. You raise some interesting questions! Good post.

Chris
04-14-2009, 09:47 AM
Influenza is different from other infectious diseases we vaccinate for in that there are multiple constantly mutating strains, and any vaccine is only effective against a single strain.

How has the measles or chickenpox vaccine worked out?

edr730
04-16-2009, 10:53 PM
I remember kids in school having paralyzed arms or braces on legs and arms from polio. I don't see that anymore. My fathers sister died of tuberculosis. The only TB I've ever seen is bovine TB. I don't know of anyone whoever had TB. I had mumps and measles at the same time. Kids don't get that anymore. I never heard of anyone with smallpox. There's been great successes with vaccines. This makes a strong argument for immunizations. On the flip side, we know that they don't all work, there is aluminum, formaldehyde, and mercury in most immunization shots and studies indicating there may be associated with health problems. Take them realizing there may be risks, I've had my share of vaccines too. Rather than research, copy and paste information as I did in the last post, I'll give some links that anyone can review and decide for themselves if they feel the info is valid or not. I have links to my first posts if there is any interest.

http://www.nvic.org//

http://www.vaccines.net/newpage114.htm

http://www.anthraxvaccine.org/

Rick
04-17-2009, 07:11 AM
There was a rather large outbreak of measles last year in Illinois universities. At the time, the CDC was concerned that a wide spread epidemic might be underway. Since I'm just next door it seemed prudent to update my MMR vaccine, which I did. No side effects at all. As it turned out, the measles ran their course and were contained.

I've had chickenpox so I've never had a need for the vaccine. I have a built in immunity.....now.

edr730 - Both TB and Polio are making a comeback. Mostly because of wide spread travel to third world countries but also because folks don't get the vaccines today. No disease, no reason for a vaccine, right? At least that's what many think. Or they simply don't think about it because the diseases are not in the news as they were in the 40's, 50's and to some extent, 60's. Sadly, the latest round of TB is an antibiotic resistant form and more difficult to treat.

Info on TB in the US:

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5810a2.htm?s_cid=mm5810a2_e

Lot's of information on Polio:

http://www.cdc.gov/polio/

nell67
04-17-2009, 07:15 AM
I have 2 sisters who work in hospitals,one is a lab tech,the other heads up the dietary department taking care of patient nutritional needs,both have tested positive for TB due to being exposed in thier jobs,both have been treated and are now"free" of the disease.