PDA

View Full Version : Tent Cities

Pure-Survival
04-06-2009, 07:07 PM
Tent cities are normally associated with third world countries ravished by war, famine or large scale natural disasters. Many are huge refugee camps and have become semi permanent, there are some that have been in place for 10 years and there are some that have been in place for 20 years. Many have 10s of thousands of occupants.

I have had first hand experience of some of these god forsaken places in Africa and northern Iraq. They are horrible disease ridden places often riddled with violence, rape and murder. Children are abducted for the human trafficking trade and sold into the sex trade all over the world. In some of these camps much of the international aid is siphoned off to feed rebel gangs.

But, they are not the reserve of the third world countries. Every now and then something happens which reminds us that in large scale disasters the authorities may round us up and put us in a tented city or we my have no other place to go to and have no chose. We have recently seen tent cities in Australia during the fires and again today in Italy after the earthquake.

Many of us have bug out plans but how many people are to arrogant to plan beyond their bug out plans. A disaster may be so large or catastrophic that we can’t physically bug out or happen so suddenly and with such force that we are left in shock that we can’t react. In these situations we will be rounded up and processed into the camps and there won’t be much we can do about it.

On the whole a tented city in the west will not be a long term solution unless it is for refugees from war in a neighbouring country or region; but, they can be in place for a year or longer. Here in the UK there are cases of families living in temporary accommodation at least three years after being flooded out of there homes.

Have you considered ending up in a tented city and have you planed for what you will do, what kit you need and how to keep yourself and family safe?

Rick
04-06-2009, 07:18 PM
I don't think the tent cities in Australia and now in Italy are forced residences. I think they are available for those that have no other place. I'm not sure why you think folks will be rounded up and force into any type of center.

But to answer your question. Yes, it's part of my planning. I travel occasionally for business and being away from home when some event occurs would present a terrible situation. Imagine being in Italy right now on holiday or on business. A tent city might be a welcome site if your hotel were destroyed and the roads were temporarily blocked for whatever reason.

Although I have planned for it, it's the last place I want to wind up.

mcfd45
04-06-2009, 07:30 PM
I do EMS in detroit. I have been to the tent cities you speak of, CAREEEEPPPY place to be!!!!! Sort of a get the guy in the rig and go fast type deal. But on a serious note if you want to learn about urban survival talk with a bum. They are masters at finding things and keep ing a low profile.

wildography
04-06-2009, 07:52 PM
I don't want this topic to "deteriorate" into a discussion/debate about ... ummm... "F... Camps" (unless of course, it starts "drifting" that way on its on).

One thing to keep in mind: in America, the responsible "host" or initiating "sponsor" of the tent city would likely want to "screen" what is brought into the "tent city"; so that might be a consideration. On another message board, there was extensive discussion about "tent cities", and the "other thing", so I did some research... quite a bit actually... at least a few hours of checking numerous Federal websites.

There are "plans" in place to prohibit the presence of firearms, weapons, etc in Federally sponsored tent cities (again, in the U.S). There are also plans in place to "screen" those who enter the tent city, provide security for the "tent city", etc.

One thing to keep in mind... if a situation develops in which you need to seek temporary refuge, do so... but keep your "antenna" up while doing so... and be prepared to leave the tent city upon a moments notice.

Alpine_Sapper
04-06-2009, 08:00 PM
I do EMS in detroit. I have been to the tent cities you speak of, CAREEEEPPPY place to be!!!!! Sort of a get the guy in the rig and go fast type deal. But on a serious note if you want to learn about urban survival talk with a bum. They are masters at finding things and keep ing a low profile.

The first working reflector baker I ever saw I found being used while walking my dog through an empty overgrown lot in the middle of the business district. Within a five mile radius of my house I can tell you where at least 50-60 couches are in a stand of trees or down off into a drainage area. It's been mentioned on here before that bums are the ultimate urban survivalists.

The problem is that typically the lifestyle a bum leads is gonna go out the window just like everyone else if ts does truly htf. There's no one left to bum off of, no nightrain to act like the sandman hitting you with a 20 lb sledge,and everyone, EVERYONE is now trying to get that same damn pidgeon. :punk:

Alpine_Sapper
04-06-2009, 08:05 PM
I don't want this topic to "deteriorate" into a discussion/debate about ... ummm... "F... Camps" (unless of course, it starts "drifting" that way on its on).

One thing to keep in mind: in America, the responsible "host" or initiating "sponsor" of the tent city would likely want to "screen" what is brought into the "tent city"; so that might be a consideration. On another message board, there was extensive discussion about "tent cities", and the "other thing", so I did some research... quite a bit actually... at least a few hours of checking numerous Federal websites.

There are "plans" in place to prohibit the presence of firearms, weapons, etc in Federally sponsored tent cities (again, in the U.S). There are also plans in place to "screen" those who enter the tent city, provide security for the "tent city", etc.

One thing to keep in mind... if a situation develops in which you need to seek temporary refuge, do so... but keep your "antenna" up while doing so... and be prepared to leave the tent city upon a moments notice.

But of course. The general populace would cry bloody murder if the Astrodome were repeated, and the federal government has already wound up with egg on their face over that once. They are NOT trying to have another witchhunt because a couple of roving gangs beat and raped their way through the temporary shelter. and it made the news. Gee, can't image why. However, in a volatile situation, especially if you've already agreed to be disarmed (becuase you were...drunk maybe?) keeping the antenna up and making sure you can bug out of there is just common sense. making sure you have the means to do it, and quickly, is important as well.

Rick
04-06-2009, 08:38 PM
I think the plan makes sense. I wouldn't want a bunch of folks totin' fire belchers AND be severely stressed out at the same time. I just don't want to be one of the ones deprived. That's why it would be a last choice for me.

SARKY
04-06-2009, 09:01 PM
I think the worst thing in the world they could do is require(force) me to live in one of those camps. How could they really keep me from escaping?

Pure-Survival
04-06-2009, 09:19 PM
The fact is that if an incident is large enough, affecting enough people the authorities may just make a decision to round up the population and put them in camps as a way of controlling the situation, distributing aid and imposing law and order. It is naive to think otherwise.

And I said ‘may’ and have not used the word force.

The aid agencies will set up aid stations and tented camps on the peripheries of the disaster area and to begin with they will screen people coming in, take the details of each person and remove any contraband but if the scale is large enough aid agencies will soon be over run. The camps will soon grow in size and could easily reach number in excess of a million people depending on the cause and size of the disaster.

New Orleans was a relatively small incident in the terms of the US but it that had happened on the south coast of the UK it ‘could’ have effected nearly a third of the population and would have been considered a major incident and the government would have had to take over all control.

When the big one hits California and if it is as bad as what some people are predicting there could be millions of people effected, well beyond that that the aid agencies and FEMA could coupe with. Some people are suggesting Yellowstone will pop, I have no opinion of this but if it was too and as bad as they are saying think of the millions that would be affected. Ok I know these are hypothetical and are taking things to the extreme but my point is some major disasters call for a major response. What if there was a nuclear melt down at one of your power stations located close to one of your cities.

In Italy last night people went to bed in there homes, tonight many of them are in tents, it can happen in a click of your fingers. Its all very well having your bug out plan in place and having your bobs packed ready to go but it might not be as simple as jumping in your car and driving to the hills.

A bug out plan has to take account of every eventuality not just jumping into your car and driving into the sunset like some cowboy with your family. You might have to walk out and your family may be spread across the city. If your kids are in school they maybe herded into busses and driven to a reception camp.

You might be rounded up and taken to a reception camp and processed, once in you won’t be able to leave. Its ignorant to think it wont ever happen, it could.

My question was if you ended up in a camp what kit would you take and how would you keep your family safe?

Rick
04-06-2009, 09:32 PM
I appreciate your explanation. You could very well be correct. Something of the size you describe would require a massive effort to control.

There are a lot of possible scenarios. My BOB would be the bag of choice. As far as keeping safe, you have to improvise weapons and keep them undercover should you actually need them.

Ole WV Coot
04-06-2009, 11:37 PM
My only first hand experience was in the '60s right next to Constitution Ave in DC. It was so bad you couldn't drive by without a brick coming your way. Police were suppose to control the perimeter only. I know every crime you think was committed there. The largest company of big mean LEOs, because of the crime cleaned it out at 4am on Sunday morning, tear gas helped but finally came to head knocking. I watched from a block away as I worked 12 to 8 at the time and I don't think I could be held nor would I "voluntarily" go into one.

Smok
04-06-2009, 11:43 PM
What will they let you keep with you ? Can we get a lest from the Gov. ? ..:innocent:...Oh and they have already round up Homeless here , after there was a fire in a homeless camp on the Feather River , they were taken to the fair grounds

Alpine_Sapper
04-07-2009, 12:16 AM
My question was if you ended up in a camp what kit would you take and how would you keep your family safe?

Just to be honest, the way my family is, if one of us, say my daughter, was rounded up, someone would go into the camp and the rest would wait on the other side, as long as they weren't FORCING you to stay. IMHO, in a situation like you describe on the edge of the disaster zone, there's still a world of some functionality on the other side. depending on the size of the zone, I'm trying to collect all the pack still alive, aquire what provisions I can (at this point, really by any means necessary) and get out of the tent city. For me alone it probably wouldn't be THAT much worse than a prison. TDW is a "scrappy little b***h" (her words, not mine.) and I know for a fact can hold her own. But I'm not trying to have to protect kids in that environment, ya know? I don't think they'd let me take my dogs, so someone has to stay outside with the pack and someone has to go collect the family.

but I utilize the features of the internet to get severe weather alerts, etc. etc. and a social network of volunteer fireman, c.e.r.t.s, and various other monitored channels that I can at least call TDW and put together a plan of action. as long as you can still communicate (i.e. the cell towers aren't down or jammed solid yet) you can still change the plan on the fly if you are apart.

for anyone old enough to understand, there's always been four fallback designated meeting locations; gold,green,red,black. (don't ask me where the effin colors came from. Ask SSG Parker. :smash:) Gold is immediate time/area, green is a more distant fallback to gold, red is fubar'ed much distant and black is civilian, but it's semi-annual or quarterly at a national landmark on a specified day/time.
i.e.
Gold: Church on the corner of 1st and Elm (assuming it's still there.) wait for me.
If I never show and it becomes evident
Green: Someone stables' home a county or state or so away
Red: Trax's House
Black: Tomb of the Unknown Soldier 1st sunday of Jan. Apr. Jul.Oct. @1pm.
Alt. In case THAT no longer exists; Space Needle, same day/time.
Of course, everyone should have a stable email address so family can contact you in case of regional disaster and you get seperated, hopefully making anything past Green uneccesary. If anyone can add something to the above, or offer constructive criticism, please let me know. Obviously, the examples are just that and not meant to be taken seriously. Washington and Seattle are both going to be overrun with zombies. :jango::triage::rambo:

wildography
04-07-2009, 01:10 AM

Well, there are a lot of variables to such a "what-if" question... but to stick to the fundamentals of the question...

I'd try and get advance information - if at all possible - about the camp; will they be confiscating firearms? Is this mandatory? Can we leave? Etc... then, I'd bring pretty much whatever I would need for any SHTF situation. I'd also - being in a "camp" situation - try to have some 'barter' items. Keep the family safe... preparation and planning BEFORE you get there is key. For "the kids" - NO making new friends BY THEMSELVES the 1st day. Walk around the camp. Introduce yourselves. Let people know who you are. "Scout out" the camp... escape routes. Friendly guards. Dangerous idiots. Thieves. Who can you trust? Who do you stay away from. Establish rules and limits for your family... spend the first few days doing more LISTENING & OBSERVING than talking. Find an area where you can observe the "goings on" of the camp... and have a picnic with your family... make it fun... make it an adventure... have everyone even - or especially - the kids tell what they observed that day. If it is safe... use your kids as "spies". PLAN, PLAN, PLAN... everyday while you are in the camp.... but be very casual about it.

Anyways... that's some of my thoughts.