PDA

View Full Version : Going Barefoot. . . .A lot of questions answered!

Nativedude
04-04-2009, 12:34 PM
I have received many emails and a few PM's asking me about walking barefoot, especially in winter. So I thought I would post some info and my experience about it here.

I officially went full-time barefooted 8 years ago. As a child I would go without shoes every chance I got, but as I grew up there was less and less opportunities to walk sans shoes, especially working and living in "suburbia".

I find that people in highly populated areas have a real thing about people not wearing shoes, I don't get it and don't understand why, but they do. Now, on to the good stuff. . .

I really understood the benefits of walking barefoot back in 2001 when I was in Australia. I had the opportunity to go walkabout and live, for 2 weeks, with an Aboriginal tribe in the bush. We would walk many miles a day, hunting, trapping, gathering water, etc.

Now I'm no stranger to walking many miles, I average 15-18 per day, but I did it with the usual 5-7 min. "rest stops" to give my feet and legs a break periodically. Well, the aborigines don't take "rest stops" and had quite a good bit of fun talking about my need to take breaks.

What I found out is that wearing my hiking boots was the problem. When we wear shoes or boots or sandals, of any kind, we don't walk naturally, our stride is different, we tend to walk faster, which in turn changes our stride and causes our foot to roll to the outside or inside more than if we are barefoot.

Also, as our shoes wear down, specifically the soles, they wear unevenly to one side or the other, and this drastically changes the way we walk, which again, causes additional stress on our legs, back, shoulders, and cause our spines and hips to be out of alignment, thus causing pain and discomfort, which fatigues you the point of exhaustion after only a little while of walking. This is what I was experiencing while walking with the Aborigines.

So after that first day, off came the boots and I was able to keep up with them (the Aborigines) step-for-step, without missing a step, and I haven't looked back! I wasn't tired, my legs didn't get fatigued, no more "rest stops" were needed.

The biggest question I get about my bare feet is: "how can you walk in winter barefooted?" Well, my answer is this; "acclimation". My feet, because I walk barefooted year round, are acclimated to the elements and temperatures and the skin on the tops and bottoms are built up. Now in winter there are times that I need to wrap my feet, but I do so with wool socks and caribou skins. But that is only on those days when it is extremely windy and the mercury is well below zero, but if there is no wind, I can walk outside, in the snow, just fine.

When ever I am in the lower 48, I always get people staring and asking "where's your shoes?" I don't know why people have become so disconnected and act so strangely about not wearing shoes.

Also, I hear this a lot when I go into stores: "you can't come in here with your bare feet, it's against health the code!" Now I ask you, since when are bare feet a health risk? I would rather go into a place where bare feet are allowed and shoes prohibited. Why, you might ask? Well think about this.

People walk through all kinds of disgusting stuff with their shoes; gasoline, animal feces, spit, gum, etc. All sorts of germ ridden substances that get embedded in the soles of their shoes. And how many people wash the soles of their shoes on a daily basis? None that I know of. And, I watch where I walk and I don't walk through or step on any of the aforementioned substances.

Now, I wash my feet every day. Why? Well for one, to keep them healthy. And so I don't track anything un-necessary in to my bed. I do get occasional cracks in my feet, usually in the summer, but I treat the cracks with Bag Balm and it heals the cracks quickly, usually in a day or two.

Another point is. I have no expense of buying shoes or repair cost of re-soling. No laces to break. And I don't have to worry about waterproofing my feet. . .lol!

So there you have it. My point of view on walking barefooted. Give it a try, I know you'll like it! :cool2:

MatthewnOK
04-04-2009, 12:38 PM
I wouldn't try that around here! In some places there are 300 red fire ant mounds/acre. Step in one of those and you'd go back to boots.

Alpine_Sapper
04-04-2009, 12:54 PM
"I find that people in highly populated ares have a real thing about people not wearing shoes, I don't get it and don't understand why, but they do"

It's like you said, people walk through all kinds of stuff with their shoes. Maybe you can avoid some of it, but you have no idea what's all over that sidewalk. Now, not saying this towards you, but there are some people in the world who have some REALLY nasty feet. Not just ugly, but infected fungal sponges. If he walks by, and then so do you, chances are you are now carrying around a new fungus. While this may not be totally true, I think this is a lot of the reason people react the way that they do. Sounds like you enjoy it, though.
Rock on.

Rick
04-04-2009, 01:00 PM
I admire your ability and understand your reasoning. But I have to tell you, when I'm standing in line to go through security at the airport and watching all those shoeless funky feet walking through there it makes me wish I knew how to levitate. (shakes head)

tennecedar
04-04-2009, 01:12 PM
Maybe you'll start a movement. Look at many photos of the streets of major cities back in the 40's and 50's. Nearly every man was wearing a hat. Now if you see someone in a fedora, "he's trying to look like Indiana Jones" or some other off the wall comment. Do what suits you.

MatthewnOK
04-04-2009, 01:21 PM
I don't think bare feet will catch on if these didn't.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/kingmog/shortsuit.jpg
(BTW Ken I'm sending you one of these to try out. QC and all.)

Nativedude
04-04-2009, 01:44 PM
Rick wrote: ". . .watching all those shoeless funky feet walking through there it makes me wish I knew how to levitate." (shakes head)

Alpine Sapper wrote: ". . .there are some people in the world who have some REALLY nasty feet. Not just ugly, but infected fungal sponges. . .

I didn't cover this part of the shoe topic in my thread, but I figured it might come up.

The biggest reason people get or have funky fungus foot or athlete's foot is because they wear the same shoes day-after-day and they don't allow their shoes to dry out inside.

I was told this by a podiatrist. "When you buy a pair of shoes you like, buy 2 pair." Why? Well you need to rotate your shoes to allow them to air and dry out.

The inside of shoes (especially if they're vinyl or synthetic) are a virtual breeding ground for germs and bacteria, and when you wear the same shoes everyday (not everyone does this, but many do) the germs and bacteria inside grow and fester with all the day-to-day moisture your shoes absorb from your feet perspiring or getting wet in the rain or snow.

I had athlete's foot in high school from always wearing my basketball shoes all day, every day. Mine got especially wet inside because of sweating during basketball practice, which expedited the process. That's where I learned from the podiatrist to buy two pairs and rotate them.

So that's the biggest way people acquire those funky prodigious digits!

Rick
04-04-2009, 02:22 PM
I agree with you whole heartedly on that. I use cedar shoe trees on my dress shoes to help dry them out and retain their shape. Nasty, sweaty boots and shoes will get you for sure. Change those socks, too. They get lame after a week.:blink:

crashdive123
04-04-2009, 02:39 PM
While I can understand and appreciate your barefooted lifestyle, and I know it takes conditioning - walking on asphalt when it is a bright sunny day with temps around 90 to 100 would also require first aid - at least until your feet were conditioned.

Rick
04-04-2009, 03:10 PM
http://www.christiannewstoday.com/Christian_News_Report_106.html

crashdive123
04-04-2009, 03:21 PM
I thought this was rather interesting from the article.
Turns out he was a good guy; he just wanted someone to confide in, not chop into pieces.

Rick
04-04-2009, 04:03 PM
Confide in...chop to pieces....I have trouble deciding what I want to do sometimes. Just depends on the mood I guess.

old soldier
04-04-2009, 07:01 PM
I tried going bearfoot out of lazyness, i would often walk outside around the lawn and inside the house and garage with no shoes, I got bone spurs on both heels from it, one heel is bad enough but 2 will really slow you down, after buying every gimmic on the planet, i finaly found some inserts for the shoes that relieve the pain and hopefully with in a year the spurs will go away.
there is nothing a dr can do for them but take your money, so don't waist your time with them

Arsey
04-04-2009, 07:48 PM
My Aussie wife would walk around in bare feet when we lived in Scotland and folk thought she was 'out there'.
Now, living in Australia I can understand why and I myself am barefoot most of the time unless I'm going bush and then I'm a wuss!!

Ole WV Coot
04-04-2009, 09:27 PM
None of us kids wore shoes during the summer out of personal preference. Only problem was a few cuts in the creek and always stubbed a toe, kinda kept one banged up. But I grew up in KY and the world thinks we don't wear them anyway.

Rick
04-04-2009, 11:18 PM
All the restaurants in Kentucky have signs that read, "No shirt, no shoes, no problem."

Ole WV Coot
04-05-2009, 02:45 PM
All the restaurants in Kentucky have signs that read, "No shirt, no shoes, no problem."

I resemble that remark:tongue_smilie:

snakeman
04-05-2009, 07:52 PM
I try to walk barefoot when I can but in my woods there is tons of thorns and broken glass so I am kind of limited. But it is a lot easier to ford a stream too. There is a lot of benefits that I did not know of. Thanks for the info.

vthompson
04-05-2009, 08:56 PM
NativeDude, I say more power to ya if that is what you want to do.

owl_girl
04-06-2009, 12:12 AM
in hawaii many people dont wear or even have shoes. i think its great to see people in stores and other public places barefoot. sometimes i do to but not that often. no one blinks twice though if i walk in the store that way. i saw a guy walk into the store with no shoes or shirt just shorts and long air and a long braided beard and it was fun to see. no one noticed and i thought only in hawaii lol. but yae i think thats great.

grundle
04-06-2009, 10:42 AM
When I went to Peru my wife's family freaked out when I walked around barefoot. They kept saying I would get a cold, I would get sick, etc. etc.

I just smiled and kept on. Strangely this was out in the "country" where I thought it would be more acceptable. The worse thing that happened was that I got chigger bites, but that was going to happen with or without shoes, so I didn't mind so much.

bulrush
04-08-2009, 10:03 AM
There are 2 main reasons for the requirement to wear shoes in public places in the US: Legonnairre's disease, and plantar's warts.

LD is a fairly deadly disease. It likes moist places, like public camping showers.

Plantar's warts grow on your plantar, an area on the bottom of your foot. I've had one and they can get painful. My systerm had a whole "colony" on one foot. She had to have major burnoff at the doctor's to get rid of them, leaving her foot scarred. They froze off the ones they could, and many were so deep they returned.

So going barefoot really spreads disease in the US.

crashdive123
04-08-2009, 03:33 PM
Bulrush said:There are 2 main reasons for the requirement to wear shoes in public places in the US: Legonnairre's disease, and plantar's warts. I must disagree. From the CDC web site
Where do Legionella bacteria come from?
The Legionella bacteria are found naturally in the environment, usually in water. The bacteria grow best in warm water, like the kind found in hot tubs, cooling towers, hot water tanks, large plumbing systems, or parts of the air-conditioning systems of large buildings. They do not seem to grow in car or window air-conditioners.

How do people get Legionnaires' disease?
People get Legionnaires' disease when they breathe in a mist or vapor (small droplets of water in the air) that has been contaminated with the bacteria. One example might be from breathing in the steam from a whirlpool spa that has not been properly cleaned and disinfected.

The bacteria are NOT spread from one person to another person.

Outbreaks are when two or more people become ill in the same place at about the same time, such as patients in hospitals. Hospital buildings have complex water systems, and many people in hospitals already have illnesses that increase their risk for Legionella infection.

Other outbreaks have been linked to aerosol sources in the community, or with cruise ships and hotels, with the most likely sources being whirlpool spas, cooling towers (air-conditioning units from large buildings), and water used for drinking and bathing.

crashdive123
04-08-2009, 03:39 PM
What causes Plantar Warts?

Warts are caused by a the human pappiloma virus (HPV). The HPV virus enters the body through a break in the skin. The virus grows in warm, moist environments, such as those created in a locker room or in your shoes when your feet perspire and the moisture is trapped. So, while you can get plantars warts through breaks in the skin on your feet, it is most likely to occur in a warm and moist environment. I doubt seriously that local boards of health require shoes to prevent plantars warts.

doug1980
04-08-2009, 03:47 PM
When I was a kid most of my friends could flat out run on roads in bare feet...I couldn't even walk in the grass barefooted. Even in the house I have to have on socks, mainly because my feet get cold easy. I have to have my shoes and socks, no sense changing now.

Rick
04-08-2009, 03:54 PM
Ooooh. I thought Legionarie's Disease was the same as Marine, Navy, Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, NG, .......

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_zGreRPcsAtg/SN2glB8giuI/AAAAAAAAAIA/8P0YBDc2fJ0/s1600-h/Morocco4.jpghttp://4.bp.blogspot.com/_zGreRPcsAtg/SN2glB8giuI/AAAAAAAAAIA/8P0YBDc2fJ0/s1600-h/Morocco4.jpghttp://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q348/safe_zone/Morocco4.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_zGreRPcsAtg/SN2glB8giuI/AAAAAAAAAIA/8P0YBDc2fJ0/s1600-h/Morocco4.jpg

Nativedude
04-09-2009, 11:40 PM
EXCELLENT post Crash!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

There are a lot of misconceptions about bare feet.

Foot disease occurs on feet that are "weak". What I mean by weak is: skin on said feet that is thin and too soft.

I have been all around the U.S., Australia, Peru & Canada barefoot. Never have I had a problem with disease or warts or anything of the sort.

Podiatrists will try to convince you that going barefoot is harmful to your posture and musculoskeletal system, but much to the contrary.

As I wrote in my original post. As you wear shoes the soles wear down. As they wear your stride changes and becomes worse and worse. This is why so many people have back problems, slipped disks, compressed disks, and overall, general back problems, as well as, muscle fatigue.

Walking barefoot does not cause these problems. My stride remains the same, my posture remains the same and I no longer get tired or have fatigue when walking long distances. Also, I can walk many, many miles without tiring.