PDA

View Full Version : Is 550 cord water absorbent?

doren
04-02-2009, 11:08 AM
I have a chunk of blue camp pad that I take when It's wet or snowing. (keeping my butt dry and not as cold is one of the few luxuries I try to keep when I'm out) It fits perfectly into my internal frame packs water bladder slot. But It's on it's last leg. I was thinking about making a new pad out of braided 550 cord. I don't have a good way to soak 550 cord then weigh it to see if there is a difference. If it does soak up water what type of cordage could I use?

I know it would be cheaper to just buy a roll of camp pad and cut a section off. But I'm trying to think multi purpose here. So any help would be appreciated

Rick
04-02-2009, 12:52 PM
You don't say how big an area you are talking about but trying to braid something like 2' by 2' is going to be a chore.

Paracord is sort of a catch name for a lot of cord types that are on the market today. It could be made of nylon, polypropylene or polyester depending on the manufacturer and their original intended use. And true parachute cord can have different specifications but most are mil spec 5040 and that's generally a nylon blend.

So it won't absorb water per se but it will allow water to flow through the weave of the cord and through the space in the braid (if you braid it). You won't stay dry. I'd opt for a new pad.

doren
04-02-2009, 01:04 PM
I was going to make it 12"x18" Just large enough to sit on. I was planning to use this weave. http://www.instructables.com/id/Paracord-bracelet-with-a-side-release-buckle/ Then link the rows with waxed thread so if I ever needed a section I could just trim a row off. I'm thinking it should be a tight enough weave to sit on a wet log and it not soak through.

Rick
04-02-2009, 01:08 PM
You could certainly do that and it would be a way to carry some extra Pcord with you but I still think you'll have a wet touche. I wear a Pcord bracelet whenever I'm in the woods and they will pass water. Just my thoughts. Through down a garbage bag if you want to stay dry.

doren
04-02-2009, 01:13 PM
I suppose the easiest answer is the best answer. I think I was trying difficult than I needed to be.

Rick
04-02-2009, 01:18 PM
Nothing wrong with thinking outside the box. It's the circles that give me fits.

http://belmontfrontporch.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/thinking-outside-the-box-1.jpg

Gray Wolf
04-02-2009, 01:21 PM
A waterproofed piece of canvas would work too. Make it larger, but manageable for your pack and it would double as a small tarp.