PDA

View Full Version : White Gas to Propane

Rick
04-01-2009, 12:33 PM
I was out on eBay last night (always a dangerous thing) and wound up buying a 2 burner Coleman white gas stove and a Coleman white gas lantern. My intentions are to convert the stove to propane and hang on to the original parts. That will give me some options should I not be able to acquire white gas or propane (whichever). I understand the stove and lantern will also use unleaded but at the cost of a lot of problems (generator clogs more often, it's smelly and the tank isn't designed for unleaded). In any case, I'll stick with white gas and propane.

Here's my question. Has anyone ever converted the lantern to propane? I don't currently have one but have had in the past and they are just about bomb proof with a minimum amount of care. I don't want to destroy this one and I don't need to convert it just to use it but would like a fall back option if white gas is scarce or becomes overly expensive.

Thoughts?

MatthewnOK
04-01-2009, 12:36 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/kingmog/BOOM.jpg (Rick's house)

grundle
04-01-2009, 12:41 PM
I think you should check with your local state regulations.

They outline specifically psi rating for the container as well as the fittings you need.

I was trying to figure out how to convert a car from gasoline to natural gas and I had similar questions.

Rick
04-01-2009, 12:49 PM
The gas to propane conversion for the stove is pretty straight forward so I understand. You can purchase the generator tube and lines at Wally World. I just don't know about the lantern.

dawg69
04-02-2009, 02:51 PM
Rick,

Besides the redundancy factor, can you tell me why you want to convert them? I've always been told that white gas appliances are cheaper to run in the end. Personally, I don't like being tied to have a bunch of little green bottles lying around. I've always got some gasoline around (my stove and lantern are dual-fuel) if all else fails. Just my 2c worth.

Rick
04-02-2009, 08:43 PM
Actually, I was thinking 20lb tank. I have six of those. I bought a gallon of Coleman fuel tonight at Wally's World and it was $8.47!!! 8.47 for a gallon of gas without the additives!!! If i'm going to pay that much for gas I WANT the additives and impurities and anything else I can get.

tennecedar
04-02-2009, 09:33 PM
I use naptha from the paint supply section. Alot cheaper.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naphtha

wareagle69
04-02-2009, 09:42 PM
i like the propane tanks the best at 20lbs they are versatile enough to move around and propane lasts a really long time in storage and i have cooked a whole summer on one tank, but now i open pit cook but heat in my trailer and lighting can run on propane so i say 100 percent the best

Rick
04-02-2009, 10:35 PM
I picked up two more used white gas stove this afternoon. They need to be cleaned up and tested so I picked up the gallon of Coleman fuel. I'll have to try Naptha. I had no idea the stoves would burn on it. I didn't understand it was the same stuff. Thanks, Tennecedar. I want the option of running gas or propane just in case.

What brand Naptha do you use?

tennecedar
04-02-2009, 10:50 PM
What ever I find the cheapest. K-Mart, Big Lots, Wal-Mart, Lowe's. I found a five gallon can around New Years at auto parts store. They sold it to me at cost because they'd had it on the shelf so long. Naptha stores a really long time because of the "no additives" thing. I figure to keep it sealed up until really needed.

Rick
04-02-2009, 11:31 PM
I guess another name for Naptha is Shellite. Apparently, that's the Australian version.

Rick
04-26-2009, 09:12 AM
I use naptha from the paint supply section. Alot cheaper.

Am I missing something. Everywhere I find Naptha (Ace Hardware for example) it's $15-16 per gallon. White gas is about $8.50 a gallon.

It looks like Ronsonol lighter fluid is the same as white gas/naptha.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
04-26-2009, 09:41 AM
The gas to propane conversion for the stove is pretty straight forward so I understand. You can purchase the generator tube and lines at Wally World. I just don't know about the lantern.

They work ok Rick, ive used them before. i am sure there is improved models out there at wally world, mine are several years old

RichNH
05-12-2009, 05:55 PM
Just an FYI, white gas burns hotter than propane so if you are planning to use them out of doors in the winter and it typically gets pretty cold in your area during the winter, you may want to keep them in the white gas mode. Our scout troop learned this the hard way during one winter camp out when the propane stoves wouldn't heat water to boiling in a reasonable amount of time and the white gas stove (mine) did.