PDA

View Full Version : horseshoe crabs

thinkfree3
03-08-2007, 07:26 PM
for those of you who have horseshoe crabs living in your area you can break their tails off and use them as spear tips/arrow tips. There shell could possibly be used as a bowl as well but i haven't tried that yet. Also clam shell halfs can be lashed to sticks to make spoons. Anyway if your going to try making the bowl it might be a good idea to put the horseshoe crab in a large ant hill first to clean it out, then scrape it out with a clam shell or something.

:cool:

the edge
03-25-2007, 04:37 PM
those are some pretty good useful things

BSM
04-03-2007, 12:01 AM
Speaking of shells, anyone familiar with Zebra Mussels will know they are dangerously sharp. The DNR in Michigan is trying to limit the spread of them, but it's hard, as they like to hitch rides in a boat's ballast tanks. Anyway, if one were to step on them, they'd open your foot like a scalpel (not fun). I haven't tried using them this way, being as I always have a pocketknife, but it would seem they would be a very good cutting edge. They certainly had no problem slicing off sizable chunks of my soles when I crossed the Ausable River wearing tennis shoes.
Just a thought that may be useful.
BSM