PDA

View Full Version : SOG Seal Pup

hardin
03-31-2009, 10:43 AM
I was looking at this knife and have seen alot of great reviews for it. Does anyone here have any experience with it? If so is it a good all around knife for hunting and camping or should I look at something else?

RichJ
03-31-2009, 11:15 AM
I have been looking at the Seal Pup Elite, a slightly different design but also a variant of the Seal Team knife. Looks good to me. Go to knifetests.com to see a destruction test of the larger Seal Team knife; it's pretty impressive. The Seal and the Falkniven A1 are the only two out of dozens of knives tested that rated 5 on a 1-5 scale. I have never seen a knife take the kind of abuse these are put through. See what this guy does to this knife and judge for yourself.

crashdive123
03-31-2009, 05:01 PM
I was looking at this knife and have seen alot of great reviews for it. Does anyone here have any experience with it? If so is it a good all around knife for hunting and camping or should I look at something else?

IMO it is a good knife, as are many others. It depends on your needs and budget.

While you're figuring out what to get, head on over to the Introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself. Thanks.

wildography
03-31-2009, 05:50 PM
I have a SOG folder that I've had for... I dunno... maybe 12-14 years; I really like it... its still in great shape and I still carry it everyday. Its my primary "defense" knife. It also works good for cutting things and even for stirring the contents of a camp pot!

tacticalguy
03-31-2009, 06:27 PM
Yeah i have one. the only thing that i would watch out for is the factory made tip. mine broke so i had to get it grinded to perfection.

Aurelius95
03-31-2009, 08:46 PM
I've got the SOG Field Pup. It's the smallest of the "pup" knives. It's been very useful, and at $40, it's not priced too high, either.

klkak
03-31-2009, 09:27 PM
Why is this thread here instead of in the Knife/Survival knife info. "Sticky"

What's wrong with you people? We have to have order here. Order I say.

crashdive123
03-31-2009, 09:32 PM
It will be. Just letting it run for awhile until the questions are answered and then it'll be moved.

Blood Groove
03-31-2009, 09:53 PM
I have a SOG seal pup eliet. It's a great knife except for one thing in my opinion. I don't care for the handle. It's made from Zytel. It's hard and kind of feels like plastic, but I would have prefered a Kraton handle like many of the cold steel knifes offer. Other than that it's a great knife.

hoosierarcher
03-31-2009, 10:00 PM
I have been looking at the Seal Pup Elite, a slightly different design but also a variant of the Seal Team knife. Looks good to me. Go to knifetests.com to see a destruction test of the larger Seal Team knife; it's pretty impressive. The Seal and the Falkniven A1 are the only two out of dozens of knives tested that rated 5 on a 1-5 scale. I have never seen a knife take the kind of abuse these are put through. See what this guy does to this knife and judge for yourself.
knifetests.com goes absolutely nuts on knives. No one would torture their knoves like they do. So any knife they give a 5 is definately worth looking into. I say any knife that gets a 3 or better is worth buying.Oh and I can't believe a USMC KaBar only got a 2.

Gray Wolf
03-31-2009, 10:27 PM
Knifetests ratings go up to 6, like the ScrapYard - Scrapper 6, the Busse Basic 9, the Cold Steel Kukri Machete and the Gransfors Bruks Wildlife AXE. They made a special rating of 7 on the Busse Fusion Battle Mistress FFBM. The ScrapYard - Scrapper 6 is in the $100 range, for the other knives, you need to leave a kidney...

earlthegoat2
03-31-2009, 11:19 PM
I do like it as a hunting knife.

Kankujoe
04-01-2009, 01:18 AM
I have a SOG Seal Pup... it is a good knife for the $50-60 price range..

klkak
04-01-2009, 01:50 AM
It will be. Just letting it run for awhile until the questions are answered and then it'll be moved.

Good, we must have to have order. Without order there is chaos.

Chaos chaos chaos chaos chaos chaos