PDA

View Full Version : Esbit vs. Trioxane

Stairman
03-31-2009, 09:32 AM
I picked up a little esbit stove and a 3 pack of trioxane at the surplus store for little or nuthin. Good thing too because IMO its not worth a crap. The guy told me 1 1/2 blocks [about 1 1/2 x 2 inches and 3/8 thick] would boil 2 cups of water. Bull! They burned for 6 minutes and only brought the 68 degree water to 150 degrees. Then I just burned 1 and it lasted 3 minutes. Now is Esbit any different? I know it costs more. For the record I have a pocket cooker[wood burning] a Trangia [alcohol] and a Snowpeak Giga, but thought Id try this stuff that the military uses. Poor guys!

Rick
03-31-2009, 11:38 AM
Esbit works. My oldest son has used one on our last couple of outings. He used the Esbit stove and the Esbit fuel. Boiled water on about half a fuel tab. The nice thing is you can blow them out and use them later. Another problem with Trioxane is it's poisonous. You are supposed to wash your hands after handling it. You don't have that problem with Esbit.

Here's a side by side for you:

http://www.backcountry.net/arch/at/9909/msg00165.html

EDIT: Here's another compare for you:

http://www.backpacking.net/contributions/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=173&page=&view=&sb=5&o=

crashdive123
03-31-2009, 04:08 PM
Stairman - I've got both. IMO the Esbit outperforms the triox by quite a bit. Also - the triox (before burning) stinks.

Stairman
03-31-2009, 09:02 PM
I thought the trioxane was new and improved over the hexamine but according to Ricks link esbit is hexamine and if its better than trioxane its strange that the army would change. Im wondering if they use something even better now.

Alpine_Sapper
03-31-2009, 09:31 PM
I thought the trioxane was new and improved over the hexamine but according to Ricks link esbit is hexamine and if its better than trioxane its strange that the army would change. Im wondering if they use something even better now.

Totally off topic and probably completely useless info, but did you know you can light C4 and use it to cook or stay warm in a pinch? Just don't hit it with anything.
:smash:
:splat:
:triage:
:gimp:
:stupid:

tennecedar
03-31-2009, 09:43 PM
Hey Alpine check out the thread Sarge posted Miac!
Talking about H.E. + survival forum = undue attention from Uncle Sam lol

SARKY
03-31-2009, 09:43 PM
I've always preferd hexamine to trioxane. The trioxane stinks wether its burning or not.

Alpine_Sapper
03-31-2009, 09:55 PM
Hey Alpine check out the thread Sarge posted Miac!
Talking about H.E. + survival forum = undue attention from Uncle Sam lol

lol. Yeah, I posted there too. I'm sure they already know who I am. I'm also pretty sure that after doing they're research they've written me off as not being any possible kind of threat. :innocent: Maybe a lunatic fringe gun crazed paranoid psycho, but not a threat.

But if they're watching/listening/reading, help a brutha out!
Everybody else is getting a bail out, what about me? I promise not to pay any bonuses with it. Swear!
:cool2:

If you think they are watching this board, I can imagine what they think of some of the other forums I'm on.

dawg69
04-02-2009, 02:56 PM
A little off-topic, but I like to use the esbit stove (stand) as an alcohol stove. I put a couple tea candle cups full of alcohol in them. Works great for a cup of soup, etc.

Chris Kavanaugh
04-07-2009, 01:57 AM
Esbit fuel, or hexamine has been around as long as Trioxane. It's the stuff that produces smoke in some model trains.

The biggest advantage is it won't degrade when exposed. Trioxane will evaporate.

Trioxane is easier to light. Both emit toxic fumes, though the hexamine is less odorifous.

Esbit stove efficiency varies with local conditions. You can make up additional windscreens ( I cut two aluminum can plates to fit the open sides with a small base bend to steady them and cut to fit neatly inside on the fuel tabs.)

A second method is to simply dig a small cathole to set the stove in with your container level with the ground.

It also helps to mate a cooking container WITH A LID.

Both fuels leave a messy, black residue.

The stoves are very robust for their size and steel guage.
Mine is stamped Made in W-Germany.