PDA

View Full Version : My boys' first real gear

tennecedar
03-31-2009, 12:56 AM
I have two boys that are getting to that age to where i believe they can participate more on our woods treks. They have been after me for a while now to have their own "stuff". I asked specifically what they wanted. The youngest (7) said "A back pack like yours that ain't made for school". My oldest (9) responded after a moments thought "We need our own knives. Pocket knives. So we can whittle and open up feed bags. And I'd really like to have a hatchet too. For when we're camping."
Well, I couldn't help myself. I went the next day and got them both a Buck hatchet and a new Swiss army knife each. I went over the Scout manual with them on knives and axes twice. I just ordered a copy of the movie Old Yeller thinking that might drive home the responsibilities of having an axe.
This weekend we go looking for backpacks(junior BOBs).
What do ya'll think?

vthompson
03-31-2009, 02:03 AM
tennecedar, I am happy for you. Look at all the time that you are going to get to spend with them, and just think of the memories that you are going to have to remember.
I plan on taking my grandson camping with us some this summer, and I can't wait. The fun part is getting to teach them things that they will use the rest of their lives.
I have to buy a junior size BOB myself for the same reason that you have to. It is hard to tell the little fellers no.

crashdive123
03-31-2009, 06:25 AM
Nice. Hmmm - young boys wanting knives and axes - yep - they're normal! Oh, and dads happy to get them - yep - you're normal too.

Aurelius95
03-31-2009, 06:54 AM
I gave my 8 year old son a Swiss Army knife for Christmas. While he was very pleased with the gift, he said, "Don't you think a fixed blade knife would be safer? Or at least a locking blade?" While he has a point (a locking blade won't come down on his fingers), I am not quite ready to take that step.

Thoughts from some dads/granddads who have already been this way?

crashdive123
03-31-2009, 06:56 AM
They'll be playing mumbly peg before you know it.

Pal334
03-31-2009, 07:20 AM
Great way to teach them. Besides is fun to buy more stuff :)

Pict
03-31-2009, 07:57 AM
I have always had a knife as far back as I can remember. Oddly enough I don't remember having one moments instruction on the use of knives from any adult, nor do I recall adult supervision when using them. There was no "taboo" around using a knife like there was no "taboo" concerning the use of wrenches to take apart our bikes. My point? We survived.

Yes, I do have a very well made scar on my left index finger from a Barlow. I was cutting a notch in the top of a self box and it skipped out. I think that taught me more about knife use and safety than anything else.

I started my kids out with red handled Moras and my son has his own folder. I only let them use their knives when I am there to instruct. It won't save them from getting cut eventually, even I cut myself on occasion. I also bash myself periodically with hammers, shock myself when doing wiring, burn myself on engines, etc. It keeps me on my toes. Mac

jrock24
03-31-2009, 10:54 AM
I am glad my son only wants his own fishing gear. I don't think he (6) is ready for any blades.

Rick
03-31-2009, 11:24 AM
It won't stop. My youngest is 31 and I just got him a another fixed blade. One you get started it's just hard to find a stopping point.

Kemperor
03-31-2009, 11:38 AM
Shoot, I wasn't even allowed to have a BB gun. I feel deprived. Then again, my Dad knew I'd use the neighbors as target practice.

tennecedar
03-31-2009, 11:51 AM
I got my first Daisy Red Rider at 5 and my first knife around 7. That's about the age when we all (the kids in my family) got our firsts. It was just natural to us. (I have 15 cousins within 5 years of my age. My mom is the middle child of seven.)I got my first shot gun,single shot 410, at 9 and by 11 had taken a couple of doe's with slugs. We all still hunt and fish together. Now that our children are getting interested in the outdoors the cycle continues.

MatthewnOK
03-31-2009, 12:41 PM
What kind of packs are you getting them? Does it have a hydration bladder? A sleeping bag compartment? Room for your ammo and rifle... err... maybe not that one. We need details! Details and pictures!!! (pics or it didnt happen l0l n00b.) My nephew who's fixing to be nine wants me to start teaching him survival/bush skills. Kids are great! (with BBQ sauce...)

trax
03-31-2009, 12:52 PM
I always let my kids have access to my gear and bought them what they needed as they grew. I started teaching them how to use a rifle when they were around 6 and 7. I gave my grandson a .22 last year, he was 12, it was the first chance I'd had to give it to him.

I figure it's how I grew up and I made it this far without shooting myself or slicing off anything major.

Rick
03-31-2009, 02:30 PM
Does that imply you have minor things that have been? EEeeeeeek.

tennecedar
03-31-2009, 02:36 PM
I'm at a serious loss when it comes to packs that would fit the boys. The oldest (9) is
4'8" and 172Lbs. The young one is not far behind him. ( We grow em full sized round here). I'm really leaning towards ruck sacks with 10-12 lbs of gear max.

trax
03-31-2009, 02:40 PM
Does that imply you have minor things that have been? EEeeeeeek.

You're a sad....bitter....lonely man, aren't you Rick?

Rick
03-31-2009, 02:44 PM
Hey, watch it. I'm not bitter, okay?

doren
03-31-2009, 02:56 PM
I'm at a serious loss when it comes to packs that would fit the boys. The oldest (9) is
4'8" and 172Lbs. The young one is not far behind him. ( We grow em full sized round here). I'm really leaning towards ruck sacks with 10-12 lbs of gear max.

The Wal-Mart where I live keeps in their camping section four or five hiking packs. The most expensive is $30, so if they're a little rough with them it's no real loss.

I still have my first knife, It was the Ranger model Swiss army knife. I don't use it anymore, but I do sit around and remember all that knife did for me.

MatthewnOK
03-31-2009, 03:10 PM
The Wal-Mart where I live keeps in their camping section four or five hiking packs. The most expensive is $30, so if they're a little rough with them it's no real loss.

I still have my first knife, It was the Ranger model Swiss army knife. I don't use it anymore, but I do sit around and remember all that knife did for me.

My brother and I both have one of those. The zippers can be iffy on the desert ridge, which I have. The Adrenaline for 30$ is a real gem. Outdoor products (the makers of these packs) have a lifetime warrante. The have some that would fit a little person for 10-20 dollars.

Alpine_Sapper
03-31-2009, 03:28 PM

Agreed. Another good shot is Big Lots. I found packs there that met my needs for $15, whree as Wallie world and Acadamey both wanted $30 minimum for a model that would work. Neither had a spot for hydration bladder, but, what's wrong with a water bottle? Sure the bladder is more convienant, but either will work.

crashdive123
03-31-2009, 04:20 PM
Whatever packs you decide on, remember that they're growing fast.

tennecedar
03-31-2009, 05:22 PM
I was looking at the Camelback packs. I like the narrow profile. Anybody have experience with them? The only one I have was the one issued to Marines. Given to me by a neighbor when he got back from over there. It is just a bladder carrier.

crashdive123
03-31-2009, 05:39 PM
I've got a Camelbak MULE. It's got a 100 oz hydration bladder. Two small storage copartments. You can't carry a lot of gear with it (if you remove the bladder you can fit quite a bit more). For the kids, you probably don't want them carrying too much anyway. When they're ready for more gear the MULE will still be good for day hikes, bike riding, etc.

tennecedar
03-31-2009, 05:48 PM
What ever I get will have to hold not only the basics but a change of clothes too. These boys never stay dry for long. It's some kind of super attraction water holes/creeks/watering troughs, anything to get themselves wet, then muddy.

crashdive123
03-31-2009, 05:51 PM
The Camelbak that I have would probably not be a good choice then. I'm not sure how old mine is, but it does not look like the current pics of the MULE.

lucznik
03-31-2009, 11:25 PM
I have always had a knife as far back as I can remember. Oddly enough I don't remember having one moments instruction on the use of knives from any adult, nor do I recall adult supervision when using them. There was no "taboo" around using a knife like there was no "taboo" concerning the use of wrenches to take apart our bikes. My point? We survived.

Yes, I do have a very well made scar on my left index finger from a Barlow. I was cutting a notch in the top of a self box and it skipped out. I think that taught me more about knife use and safety than anything else.

I started my kids out with red handled Moras and my son has his own folder. I only let them use their knives when I am there to instruct. It won't save them from getting cut eventually, even I cut myself on occasion. I also bash myself periodically with hammers, shock myself when doing wiring, burn myself on engines, etc. It keeps me on my toes. Mac

Every day of my life from the time I was 8 years old until today I have had a pocket knife in my pocket. This included most of my time in Elementary school, and all of my time in both Middle and High School. My teachers were well aware of the fact that I carried a knife and, in fact, routinely asked to borrow it when they needed to cut something. Ah, those were the days.

When my oldest boy (now almost 11) turned 8 I bought him his first SAK. He is allowed to carry it at all times, except for at school. Times have changed - and not for the better.

My middle son turns 8 this June and another SAK is soon to join our family collection.

tennecedar
04-01-2009, 11:31 AM
What kind of packs are you getting them? Does it have a hydration bladder? A sleeping bag compartment? Room for your ammo and rifle... err... maybe not that one. We need details! Details and pictures!!! (pics or it didnt happen l0l n00b.) My nephew who's fixing to be nine wants me to start teaching him survival/bush skills. Kids are great! (with BBQ sauce...)

Where did you get that idea? Please explain.

trax
04-01-2009, 11:34 AM
These boys never stay dry for long. It's some kind of super attraction water holes/creeks/watering troughs, anything to get themselves wet, then muddy.

Them too huh? Here I thought I had some kind of weird childhood, glad there's others. LOL.

MatthewnOK
04-01-2009, 12:26 PM
Where did you get that idea? Please explain.

I forgot that you hadn't bought them yet. I just forgot to edit. I wanted pictures of they're new packs (which you haven't bought yet. Pics or it didn't happen is just a online saying when you want pictures of something. :blushing:

tennecedar
04-01-2009, 12:30 PM
Actually, I was wondering about the n00b part. Confused me a little.
(not hard to do)

MatthewnOK
04-01-2009, 12:33 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N00b It's just something computer geeks use to refer to everyone just about. It's akin to 1337 sp34|<

tennecedar
04-01-2009, 12:42 PM
from Wikipedia

Newbie is a slang term for a newcomer to online gaming or an Internet activity. It can also be used for any other activity in whose context a somewhat clueless newcomer could exist. It can have derogatory connotations, but is also often used for descriptive purposes only, without a value judgment.

That's what confused me. Check my join date. Never mind off topic anyway. My bad

crashdive123
04-01-2009, 12:50 PM
Don't feel bad Tennecedar - confused me too. But as you say - not hard to do.

tennecedar
04-01-2009, 12:54 PM
Thanks MatthewnOK for the p.m. and the clarification.

FVR
04-01-2009, 06:23 PM
Just teach them how to use the knife and ax. I can attest, that growing up without a male figure in the house, my first ax ended up cutting the side of my right big toe off. A few years later I cut the side of my left thumb off.

Ya don't hold firewood your cutting with your feet or your hand.

crashdive123
04-01-2009, 06:33 PM
Man - that lesson almost cost you an arm and a leg.

Ken
04-01-2009, 06:42 PM
Just teach them how to use the knife and ax. I can attest, that growing up without a male figure in the house, my first ax ended up cutting the side of my right big toe off. A few years later I cut the side of my left thumb off.

Ya don't hold firewood your cutting with your feet or your hand.

No Sh*t? You too? :lol:

After Hurrican Donna skirted by us in 1960, when I was almost 4 years old, my aunt's property sustained some serious tree damage. My family went there to help clean up. As everyone took a break for lunch inside, I snuck outside to do a little clean-up of my own. I managed to take off the tip of my left index finger with a hatchet. :blushing:

04jtb
04-04-2009, 12:18 PM
People always seem wary of giving me (16) knives to use, but I do own a few, including one locking leatherman, and have cut myself far more with other things that are no where near as deadly. I also never recieved any instruction on how to use them, just saw my dad use his penknife when I was younger, and remembered to cut away from myself.

Rick
04-04-2009, 12:32 PM
We wouldn't be leary of you if you saw you way over to the Introductions section and told us a bit about yourself.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14

tennecedar
04-04-2009, 12:37 PM
I just ordered a copy of the movie Old Yeller thinking that might drive home the responsibilities of having an axe.

OK, I need some help here. Was it Old Yeller or Where The Red Fern Grows where the two boys are arguing over the axe and one falls on it killing him?

MatthewnOK
04-04-2009, 12:38 PM
Where the red fern grows

tennecedar
04-04-2009, 12:55 PM
Where the red fern grows

Thanks. I'll order a copy of that one too.

tennecedar
04-04-2009, 01:02 PM
I've finally decided on a pack. I want them to have something that will last. I looked at alot of the packs mentioned. Thank you all for the suggestions. This is what we (the boys and I) agreed would suit their needs and have room for them to grow.

CAMELBAK H.A.W.G.

Features
• 18 liters of storage. Load it up with communications, food, extra clothing.
• Includes dual antenna ports for ASIPS radio and other communications.
• Includes OMEGA™ Reservoir – fill and clean easier than ever.
• Independent Suspension Harness keeps load stable as you move.
• Air Director™ ventilated back panel for keeping cool.
• Sternum Strap, stowable waistbelt, and compression straps add stability.
Capacity: 100 oz (3.0 l)
Dimensions: 19 in x 12 in x 6 in (482 mm x 304 mm x 152 mm)
Volume: Cargo Only – 1100 cu. in. (18.0 l) • Including Water – 1280 cu. in. (20.9 l)
Weight: Empty Reservoir – 2.60 lbs (1.18 kg) • Filled Reservoir – 8.85 lbs (4.01 kg)

MatthewnOK
04-04-2009, 01:06 PM
I bet they're going to be stoked! Good choice. Happy camping!

crashdive123
04-04-2009, 02:22 PM
Those'll work. Good choice.

Rick
04-04-2009, 02:26 PM
What? No QC needs to try it first?

crashdive123
04-04-2009, 02:53 PM
Nah. Don't want the kids to have to wait.

Nativedude
04-05-2009, 07:40 PM
Tennecedar wrote: "I have two boys that are getting to that age to where i believe they can participate more on our woods treks. They have been after me for a while now to have their own "stuff". I asked specifically what they wanted. The youngest (7) said "A back pack like yours that ain't made for school". My oldest (9) responded after a moments thought "We need our own knives. Pocket knives. So we can whittle and open up feed bags. And I'd really like to have a hatchet too. For when we're camping."
Well, I couldn't help myself. I went the next day and got them both a Buck hatchet and a new Swiss army knife each. I went over the Scout manual with them on knives and axes twice. I just ordered a copy of the movie Old Yeller thinking that might drive home the responsibilities of having an axe.
This weekend we go looking for backpacks(junior BOBs).
What do ya'll think?"

Reading this post brings a tear to my eye *sniff-sniff*.

I salute you Tennecedar. . . .WAY TO GO! You, sir, are an outstanding parent, and you give me hope!

Reminds me of the old days when people in this world were "normal"!! When there was no "political correctness" BS, and parents had the right to raise their children instead of the Gov't taking parents rights to raise and discipline their children as they saw fit.

tennecedar
04-05-2009, 08:07 PM
We spent the afternoon whittlin (that's how my pa said it, I will too). It's a fine art where I'm from. The boys are eager to learn and listen surprisingly well. Afterwards we picked up all the shavings from the porch and I let them start a fire by themselves. I watched as the oldest told his brother how to begin with tender and then add twigs. He remembered what I had showed him over a year ago. I can't wait til they get done with the school year.

Thanks everybody for your posts.

Nativedude
04-05-2009, 08:28 PM
Tennecedar wrote: "We spent the afternoon whittlin (that's how my pa said it, I will too). It's a fine art where I'm from. The boys are eager to learn and listen surprisingly well. Afterwards we picked up all the shavings from the porch and I let them start a fire by themselves. I watched as the oldest told his brother how to begin with tender and then add twigs. He remembered what I had showed him over a year ago. I can't wait til they get done with the school year.

Thanks everybody for your posts."

Tennecedar, You're a good dad in my book, and it sounds like you've got a couple of great boys there! I wish you great success with their wilderness training. Keep up the good work!

:clap: :thumbup: :clap: :thumbup: :clap: :thumbup: :clap: :thumbup: :clap: :thumbup: :clap: :thumbup: :clap: :thumbup: :clap: :thumbup: :clap: :thumbup:

Rick
04-06-2009, 07:57 AM
What goes around comes around. My boys take me on trips now days. Gettin' old ain't so bad.:D

grizz
06-02-2010, 10:54 PM
My first pack was made of an old leg fro a pair of my dads jeans. I was 3, and he would take me and my brothers any where. Now i plan the trips and take my dad. I do all the planning and cooking etc.. Just paying him back.

Scaru
08-04-2010, 04:28 PM
hey just saying ive had knives for a couple years now (im 12) never cut myself and i have a locking blade one so i think you have nothing to worry about with locking blades