PDA

View Full Version : Garden Tools

Rick
03-28-2009, 08:42 PM
We've talked a lot about plants for long term survival and how to store seeds but what tools do you have for survival gardening? Some are quite simple. Still others would make your life so much simpler. Here's what I have:

Axe
Scythe
Shears
Rake
Sickle
Spade
Wheeled plough
Frost bar
Spade
Pitchfork
Billhook
Hand pruners

I would also like to have

Flail (which I could make)
I would have to convert some of the baskets we have to Winnowing baskets.

This is just for food planting and harvesting. In addition, I have a lot of hand tools for wood working as well has modern tools. I also have several books on historical wood working tools that I could use to build the tools I would need. But none of those would be worth their wait in salt if I can't eat so I prize my food tools most.

What about you? Have you considered what tools you would need to feed your family?

crashdive123
03-28-2009, 08:51 PM
My garden is relatively small, so everything I do in it is with hand tools. Various sizes of shovels, rakes, pruners, machette, hand saws - nothing too fancy.

wareagle69
03-28-2009, 08:51 PM
well ......i am trying to make my life easier rick, i am cutting down some tammarack(larch) and some balsam pine to make a raised bed garden, so i need and axe and bow saw for that. then i will haul manure to fill these beds so i will need a shovel. thats about all i can think of for now.

tennecedar
03-29-2009, 12:23 AM
Is your wheeled plow vintage/homemade/new? If new, is it any good?

RaymondPeter
03-29-2009, 11:25 AM
Tools that we still use that I can remember off the top of my head:
Garden shears
Hand held pruners
Transplanting trowel
A couple various rakes
Small spade
Wheelbarrow
Pitchfork

LowKey
03-29-2009, 06:26 PM
My garden is fairly small so all is done by hand. Except this year I've borrowed a rototiller to extend it and put in some raised beds (and one sunken one).
I do have a fairly wide assortment of gardening and yard tools.
Wheelbarrow
Garden fork
various shovels and spades
4-tined cultivator
Stone rake
chopping hoe
V-hoe
pruning shears and loppers
Pruning saw
pole saw/pruner
axes and hatchets
sledgehammer
Pick/Mattock
Yard tractor for mowing also has a cart for heavier hauling.

I also have a collection of useful vintage tools that are at the moment on display on the wall in my den but could be useful 'just in case'.
Hayfork
Hand Scythes
Large swing scythe with grass and brush blades
2-man saw
Buck saw
Ice tongs
Ice saw
Spokeshaves
Various and assorted other non-powered vintage hand tools.

tennecedar
03-29-2009, 06:39 PM
I've got most hand tools to raise a garden minus a wheeled plow and a scythe. I'm looking for those. I raise over a half an acre of vegetables each year. I don't see me doing that without my tractor. Plus I make extra money plowing other peoples gardens for them.

Chris
03-29-2009, 10:33 PM
Not really a garden tool perse, but I'd love to have a stone mill on my property, and when I have more property, maybe one day I will.

Ag Nettogrof
03-30-2009, 05:43 AM
I have the general gardening tools. Shovel(Spade) Transplanting Shovel, Pitch Fork, A thing that is used like a Hoe but works much better for weeding, a Potato Fork, Pulaski Ax, Pole Ax, DB Ax, Rakes, Pruning Shears and Hand Pruners, Hoe, and other hand tools.

But as long as I can get diesel fuel I'll use the tractor for the heavier work such as turning, cutting and cultivating.

I also have several Mule drawn implements if I had a good mule. They're just too heavy for the wife to pull. But she did give it a good try though.

Ag

crashdive123
03-30-2009, 07:34 AM
Ha - that's funny - send her to the gym!