PDA

View Full Version : TSHTF in Fargo

RBB
03-27-2009, 09:12 AM
My niece and her husband live in Fargo. Flood stage for the Red River is considered 18 feet. Currently it's at 39 feet and they are projecting a crest of 41 feet. I just heard from him, and he is busy sandbagging. He thinks their house will be okay as it is an older home in the highest part of town. Just in case, he has their car filled with bug out gear and parked next to the freeway.

Hoping it will go okay for them.

tennecedar
03-27-2009, 09:15 AM
Hope they stay safe

Rick
03-27-2009, 09:16 AM
I've been watching this on the news. What a terrible situation. I hope your niece and her family will be safe and won't need to leave. Good to know that they are prepared, though.

tennecedar
03-27-2009, 10:26 AM
FARGO, North Dakota (CNN) -- The Red River rose to 40.2 feet early Friday, breaking a 112-year-old record and creating a quandary for emergency officials who can no longer rely on historical data to guide their response.

The water rises Thursday in Fargo, North Dakota. Forecasters say the Red River will crest Saturday.

Hundreds already have evacuated Fargo neighborhoods, hospitals and a nursing home. Officials across the Red River in Moorhead, Minnesota, also were urging residents to leave.

The river topped the 1897 record of 40.1 feet about 4 a.m. CT (5 a.m. ET), said National Weather Service spokesman Patrick Slattery in Kansas City, Missouri.

"It's expected to continue rising," he said. Forecasters have said the river will crest Saturday.

Record levels for the river mean uncertainty for officials and volunteers who are scrambling to mitigate the flooding in the area, Slattery said.

Emergency responders can extrapolate the effects of the rising river, he said, but they cannot know for sure what works because they have never witnessed the river so high and therefore have no previous data with which to work.

doren
03-27-2009, 10:49 AM
I hope they have a boat just in case.

lucznik
03-27-2009, 11:53 AM
In addition to his BOG, you might want to suggest to him that he pack as many irreplaceable treasures (I'm speaking of pictures, scrapbooks, family videos, journals, letters, etc.) as well as any legal documents (deeds, Social Security cards, health insurance cards, etc.) as he can so that they aren't lost if the sandbagging, etc. doesn't go as well as hoped.

RBB
03-27-2009, 01:08 PM
Talked to my sister-in-law this morning. She got a text message from my niece about 3 AM. My niece, who is a nurse at the hospital in Fargo, was in the back of an ambulance transporting a sick child to Minneapolis. The hospital in Fargo has been evacuated.

trax
03-27-2009, 02:12 PM
This morning they were projecting a crest of 44 feet in Fargo because of recent storms and their sandbag dykes were at 42 feet. For every foot you go up apparently you have to go two feet wider so there's a lot of sandbagging to be done in a hurry. I saw a director of the hospital, must be the same one RBB was talking about, promising that they wouldn't close "Until people are getting their feet wet at work". Winnipeg is hauling a$$ on sandbagging and preparing for evacuations as well. Some property owners south of Winnipeg have been told to get out. Winnipeg radio stations yesterday were broadcasting info on where to get sandbags, where to call if you need help sandbagging or want to help with the sandbagging.

Beans
03-27-2009, 02:14 PM
In addition to his BOG, you might want to suggest to him that he pack as many irreplaceable treasures (I'm speaking of pictures, scrapbooks, family videos, journals, letters, etc.) as well as any legal documents (deeds, Social Security cards, health insurance cards, etc.) as he can so that they aren't lost if the sandbagging, etc. doesn't go as well as hoped.

Good advice, But having gone through the Mississipe flood of 1973 ( Hannibal Mo, Quincy Ill area) when the levees and sandbags failed. some of the folks had to swim to save just their lives and their preparked vheicles were under 20 feet of water. It was that quick. A small trickle became a torrent in just a couple of seconds,

Take your prized items/treasues, unreplaceable memories to a safe area while you can, You can always bring them back

Ken
03-27-2009, 03:55 PM
I hope your family stays safe, RBB.

RBB
03-27-2009, 08:14 PM
Just heard from my niece. She says the worst thing for them - may be the aftermath. She's been told by the hospital that she will be laid off for about three months. This will make it hard for them to meet house payments. Their house should be high and dry, no matter how high the water gets, but if she can't work - they may loose the house anyway.

She asked about temp agencies for nursing over here, but then it turned out she doesn't have a nursing license in Minnesota. Not sure how hard that is to get.

pgvoutdoors
03-27-2009, 08:22 PM
RBB - I'll keep your family in my prayers. Good luck and God speed to them.

nell67
03-27-2009, 08:29 PM
Prayers for the safety of your family and all the inhabitants of the affected area RBB.

crashdive123
03-27-2009, 08:35 PM
RBB - is she an RN? My brother-in-law is a Dr. in Minot - It's about 150 miles - I can ask if he knows of any openings.

lucznik
03-27-2009, 08:49 PM
She should definitely look into temp agencies. They will help her with accomplishing all the licensing requirements for the state that she will be assigned to work in. She will almost assuredly have to travel, but they pay very well. It would be hard for awhile, but better than losing the home.

Runs With Beer
03-27-2009, 09:39 PM
Prayers Inbound:innocent:

Ken
03-27-2009, 11:38 PM
Check out these pics.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/03/red_river_flooding.html?p1=Well_MostPop_Emailed5

laughingbeetle
03-28-2009, 01:48 AM
I am praying for your family.

wareagle69
03-28-2009, 07:22 AM
so the shtf in fargo and people have pulled together to help each other. kind of gives ya hope eh! hope things work out for your family RBB

Rick
03-28-2009, 08:11 AM
Also, she could look into Traveling Nurses. There are tons of agencies that manage placing nurses into areas with shortages. The pay is good, usually with expenses. The down side is she will be away from home but if it's a short term lay off then it might be doable.

She might also check into unemployment if she is laid off.

Finally, if push comes to shove, they can talk to their provider about only paying the interest on their loan. It's not the best scenario and you don't lower your principle but it shows you're willing to work with the lender and, depending on the age of the loan and the interest rate, it could reduce the house payment by 50%.

wareagle69
03-28-2009, 08:33 AM
i agree with rick , with the amount of coverage this is getting you would think that the bank knows tough times are ahead especially with the recession and all,she can ask , can't hurt ,worst they can say is no

RBB
03-28-2009, 11:18 AM
RBB - is she an RN? My brother-in-law is a Dr. in Minot - It's about 150 miles - I can ask if he knows of any openings.

Please ask - though of course we'd like her over here (250 miles in the other direction). The licensing issue might be sticky for Minnesota. Though we have reciprocity with Wisconsin (according to my wife) she's not sure about NoDak.

In Minot it would not be an issue.

Oh, and yes, she's an RN.

Also, thanks for all the prayers!

crashdive123
03-28-2009, 05:17 PM
Please ask - though of course we'd like her over here (250 miles in the other direction). The licensing issue might be sticky for Minnesota. Though we have reciprocity with Wisconsin (according to my wife) she's not sure about NoDak.

In Minot it would not be an issue.

Oh, and yes, she's an RN.

Also, thanks for all the prayers!

I left a message for him. I'll let you know when he calls back.

crashdive123
03-31-2009, 04:36 PM
RBB - my wife talked to her sis today (they've been out of town for a bit) and she doesn't know of any specific programs for temp nurses. She did say however that they are hiring a lot due to the expanded work going on in the oil fields. So it sounds as though there is some opportunity there, just don't know if they'll take temps - probably worth checking into.

RBB
04-01-2009, 07:36 AM
RBB - my wife talked to her sis today (they've been out of town for a bit) and she doesn't know of any specific programs for temp nurses. She did say however that they are hiring a lot due to the expanded work going on in the oil fields. So it sounds as though there is some opportunity there, just don't know if they'll take temps - probably worth checking into.

Thanks for checking. I'll pass it on.