PDA

View Full Version : Things You Run Across

RBB
03-26-2009, 03:55 PM
(While looking for other things)

Looking for a bread recipe - I ran across an old recipe for boiled trout. Sure made me look forward to trout season!

Boiled Lake Trout

1 Bay leaf
2 Beef bullion cubes
6 Allspice
1 Onion - cut up
1 clove of garlic
Lots of water

Simmer above for a long time

Put in trout and boil for five minutes - or until skin loosens

Runs With Beer
03-26-2009, 09:55 PM
Sound good, We dont have any of those fish here, but I will have the try it on some other type of fish.

laughing beetle
03-26-2009, 10:02 PM
Florida doesn't have trout!?

crashdive123
03-26-2009, 10:04 PM
Not at the end of my pole.....but yeah, plenty of trout here.

laughing beetle
03-26-2009, 10:14 PM
Huh. Was gonna say. If you didn't have trout why live there. Gotta have trout. i gotta go fishing, soon. Maybe I'll head up to the lake this weekend, drink some coffee and catch some lunch.

canid
03-26-2009, 11:55 PM
lake trout are not trout [they are a char], and no, fla doesn't have them.

laughing beetle
03-27-2009, 12:02 AM
Actually at this lake, I would be fishing for bullhead. Or walleye. Stream fishing is picking up soon. Maybe I will wander back into the woods instead. Couple of good spots, dinner on the fin.

canid
03-27-2009, 12:12 AM
i need to go to lake oroville, they stock everything california has to offer and then some.

on one level, there's something about fishing stocked, man made lakes, but on the other hand, nothing like landing salmon, lake trout or real trout, bluegill/crappie and catfish all from the same beach :D

hoosierarcher
03-27-2009, 02:48 AM
Florida doesn't have trout!?
Florida has sea trout/weakfish. They are pretty good eating fish.

canid
03-27-2009, 03:37 AM
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/the_problem_with_wikipedia.png

laughing beetle
03-27-2009, 03:50 AM
Yeah, I have noticed that. You can find the oddest connections between websites, and the site topics have nothing to do with eachother.

crashdive123
03-27-2009, 07:00 AM
Florida may not have lake trout, but we have Trout Lake.

http://www.fishingworks.com/lakes/florida/osceola/narcoossee/trout-lake/

Speckled trout, book trout, lake trout…….Trout

http://www.barhoppr.com/trout.htm

RBB
03-27-2009, 08:11 AM
lake trout are not trout [they are a char], and no, fla doesn't have them.

Things you learn on WSF. I knew brook trout were a char, but though I've fished them all my life, I didn't know lake trout were a char. I got to thinking that Lake trout and brook trout sometimes end up as splake, so there must be a close connection. Did a little internet hopping and, yes, you are right.

We did a great lake trout fishing snowshoe trip just before season closed. We got so many, our two day trip turned into four. It was colder than blazes, minus 20 or 30, but we kept the wood stove going. We'd be out on the ice for an hour - then into the tent and warm up for an hour or two. We ate trout until they were coming out of our ears. They are great fresh, but no good frozen.

Son Tim had brought home a great new breading for frying fish, Tempura. We tried it again last night on some Halibut a friend brought down for us from AK. Great stuff!

RobertRogers
03-27-2009, 08:42 AM

What DO you find at the end of your pole?

Runs With Beer
03-27-2009, 08:05 PM

Only salt water trout.

canid
03-27-2009, 08:50 PM
it is worth noting that the salmon [salmon and trout] and the char are extremely closely related. it's why they all look alike [wait, was that fish-racist?]