PDA

View Full Version : Septic tanks!!!

evan2
03-25-2009, 10:01 PM
I'm at a dilemma, I have a septic tank in my backyard, and I want to plant a garden. Now I'm pretty certain you definitely want to keep it away from it right? So how far away is efficient? My yard is not that big approximately a half an acre, with lots of tree lines and such preventing most spots from getting enough sun ( how much sun a day is good?). So there is a spot about 20 to 30 feet away, at the topmost part of an upward slope(the backyard is slightly slanted), is that alright? Its either that or I'm gonna have to grow in pots and such, either on the pool deck or the roof(there is a big flat part). I kind of prefer the roof( I would use buckets and a tarp under them or something of that sort) due to theft security and more sun. So your inputs would be much appreciated!

I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow just to give you all a better sense of what I am talking about.

crashdive123
03-25-2009, 10:12 PM
I'm at a dilemma, I have a septic tank in my backyard, and I want to plant a garden. Now I'm pretty certain you definitely want to keep it away from it right? So how far away is efficient? My yard is not that big approximately a half an acre, with lots of tree lines and such preventing most spots from getting enough sun ( how much sun a day is good?). So there is a spot about 20 to 30 feet away, at the topmost part of an upward slope(the backyard is slightly slanted), is that alright? Its either that or I'm gonna have to grow in pots and such, either on the pool deck or the roof(there is a big flat part). I kind of prefer the roof( I would use buckets and a tarp under them or something of that sort) due to theft security and more sun. So your inputs would be much appreciated!

I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow just to give you all a better sense of what I am talking about.

Evan - your septic tank is (probably) made of cement (big square cement box). You don't want to plant directly over top of it, you also probably do not want to plant directly over the drain field (pipes that carry the liquid overflow away from the tank and disperse it in the yard). How much sun the plants need will depend on what you plant. I have a very small yard, so I do some container gardening as well as planting in the ground. Put your containers where they will be secure, but also where you can easily get to them to tend your garden.

Rick
03-25-2009, 10:21 PM
You raise a good question and I think it's right to be cautious. I don't know what a safe distance is because I don't have septic and I've never investigated it. I would not only be concerned about plant contamination through osmosis but surface contamination if your yard has standing water after a large rain.

A lot is going to depend on the type of soil you have. That will determine how well the effluent percolates and how far it will travel.

Contact your county extension agent. He/She will be familiar with the soil in your area and I'm sure they've been asked the same question several times over.

If it turns out to be a problem or you just don't have enough room for everything, why not bring your plants up around the house? Plant your vegetables just like you would a flower bed. Last summer I had Ozark strawberries, raspberries, kale and peppers on the east side of my house. Moon and stars watermellons as well as some edible flowers and peas on the west side.

Plants are plants. If you think about it a bit you can mix and match garden colors just like flowers.

Ken
03-25-2009, 10:26 PM
For whatever it's worth, in most states, if you have a well for drinking water (as opposed to watering your lawn, etc.) it must be at least 100' from your septic tank and leaching field. My new septic system is being installed this week. We perked just 3 weeks ago and we were bone dry at 8 feet. How high is your water table? If you have a low water table, you're probably safe unless your right over the tank/field.

Our garden this year will be about 120' away, but we decided to put it there even before the septic system plans were drawn.

Stairman
03-25-2009, 10:34 PM
Your garden will grow great over your septic tank. But the plants will absorb nitrates at too high a level.Also roots might migrate into the drain field.Bottom line is your plants will be happy but theres a price to pay.IMO,Its safe to grow your garden where the grass/weeds dont grow real lush.

Rick
03-25-2009, 10:59 PM
I've read that plants can absorb some bacteria and viruses. I don't know for certain but it makes sense. While I would be concerned about human waste, the other contaminants, from the gray water, would be a huge concern to me.

RBB
03-26-2009, 09:33 AM
My only worry would be frost. That is the only reason I've ever heard for not planting a garden over a leeching field. Loose garden soil is more likely to let the frost get down to the leeching field than sod. If you've ever had a leeching field freeze half way through winter - you know this is a real concern. Hell, half the world uses their own wastes to fertilize their food crops. Except for the freezing problem - the ground over a leeching field would make a great garden.

Rick
03-26-2009, 09:41 AM
But half the world doesn't dump Tide, Downy, Dawn, Dial soap, old makeup, bubble bath or all their associated chemicals on their foods. Plant above a leaching field and you'll be exposing your foods to anything that's dumped in the septic.

endurance
03-26-2009, 11:46 AM
I wouldn't worry so much about bacteria as chemical contamination. Vinyl chlorides leaching from plastic drain pipes could be a problem depending on your water (highly chlorinated water tends to leach more, but using bleach in your laundry could also cause problems with leaching. My understanding is that without chlorine, leaching isn't a problem). The tank itself shouldn't be a problem except you want to retain access for pumping and inspection (if you didn't have the tank pumped and inspected when you moved in, think about it now. Preventive maintenance is a lot cheaper than fixing problems later). If you were to do raised bed square foot gardening over your leach field, you'd be better off. If you were to till the soil 18" down, you just might hit pipes and create your own worst nightmare. Being uphill from the pipes would be best, being in raised beds above the leachfield would be last resort and only with crops that are above ground (no potatoes or carrots).

People have been using human waste for fertilizer for centuries. Sometimes it works out, other times it can lead to hepatitis and e-coli. It's not just what diseases your family has, it's what the family who lived there before you had. A low water table puts you at less risk, a high water table puts you at greater risk.

evan2
03-30-2009, 11:25 AM
I decided to put it about 30-40 feet away from anything. Thanks for all the help.