PDA

View Full Version : Stupid People on TV

Chris
03-07-2007, 10:39 PM
I was just watching Jericho on CBS, which I like, but man this episode had some stupid parts.

For one, a large part of the plot was that people were migrating south because they couldn't handle winter in Dakota.

I thought maybe they were trying to make a stupid political statement like in The Day After Tommorow where American's are prevented from fleeing to Mexico to escape the cold... :mad:

What is stupid of course about that whole concept is that Natives and early European settlers had no problems living in the Northern US during the winter and they did not have gortex, fiberglass insulation, weatherstripping, a closet full of clothes, or double/triple paned windows. Humans survived the last ice age without any of that.

Seriously... if you're cold, put on your snowpants and a knit cap and cuddle down by the fire. Don't sit around in a t shirt with no hat on and complain.

Then they got stuck out on a road with a truck rollover and had all their gear stolen and the one guy has his leg pinned under the truck. The guy who can walk goes and picks up a bunch of dead grass and I think "Ha, smart." Then I end up disappointed because he makes a pillow with the grass and does not use it for insulation. He should have insulated his friend underneath to get him off the cold ground, and on top to trap body heat.

The he keeps complaining about the cold but he doesn't do the most important thing, share body heat. He should have laid down on top of his friend. That is the #1 survival thing you can do, share body heat. If you ever watch those Navy Seal training shows on the Discovery Channel you'll see the seals in the ice cold atlanta come out, strip down, and hug each other all night long to stay alive. The human body produces tremendous heat, and with multiple bodies together you end up with excess that can help keep you all warm.

Bowcatz
03-08-2007, 11:21 AM
When watching television shows like Jericho, I will on occasion think that the reason the producers, directors, and actors creating the show want their characters shown doing stupid and ill prepared things is to encourage us folk out here in TV land to say to themselves, "Gee, if I ever get in a situation like that, I'll ... [insert a more intelligent response to the disaster currently being experienced by TV actor.]"

Maybe I'm just reaching a little too far with that response to Jericho's story writers. :confused: But the Weather Channel's Storm Stories has been a great influence on what to put in my 72 hour survival pack. TV can be very influencing, if you let it. :p

I didn't see the movie The Day After Tomorrow. Mexican authorities weren't letting the rich gringos into Mexico? Why? :eek:

Personally, I love cold weather. No snakes, bugs, or ticks to get me sick when I go camping or hunting. :D
Living in Mississippi, you appreciate cold weather when the humiture (humidity and temperature factored together some how) reaches 120 degrees Fahrenheit and teenager football players in excellent health and zero body fat drop dead from heat exhaustion like shot ducks on the football practice field. It's March 2007 and winter is slowly pulling away from down south and I'm not too happy about it.

BSM
04-03-2007, 03:03 AM
I like Jericho, because it brings up things I wouldn't have thought of on my own. Like the fact that salt would suddenly be valuable for preserving food. Or that some metals would become worthless because they absorb radiation so readily that no one is willing to risk trading in it. At the same time, I feel there are some strange parts. For example, Chris, when they got ran off the road, the one man leaned out of the car window to shoot back at the truck. Over a ten second period, he shot, what, twice, three times maybe? If you were willing to fire on a vehicle, wouldn't you empty the whole damn clip? It wasn't like they didn't have plenty of guns and ammo on them, they were going hunting. Ah, hell, it doesn't matter, it's just a TV show. And, beside, if they succeeded in killing the driver and getting away, what would they do with the other 40 mins of the episode? Celebrate?
LOL,
BSM

lovegettinlost
05-02-2007, 10:21 PM
I have never watched JEricho so I dont know what you are all talking about tehre, but I do agree TV can be very influencing, usully ina bad and negative way. But every now and then ina good way, something to promote heatlh or intelligence, or survival. Tonight I was watching something on obesity, and how there is the world's heaveist man in MExico, he used to weigh something like 1300 lbs. I weigh 185, and to me that is fairly heavy, I work out a lot and hike and rock climb alot so I don't have much fat on me so its hard to understand why people would binge eat like that and get that heavy. But it jsut kind of makes feel bad for htem, but at the same time it makes me want to go outside and run for awhile or jsut be happy I can go outside dan climb or kayak, or get out of bed. SO I think if youwatch the right shows TV can inlfuence people in very good ways, but then there is MTV I wont get into that crap.

mistylady
05-03-2007, 12:33 PM
Jericho is just a TV show but I am glad they have it. It might make someone out there wake up and do a little planning just in case something does happen like the Jericho scenario.

Lovegettinlost...Jericho is a show about a small town that had to deal with the aftermath of nuke attacks in the big cities. They had fallout, radiation sickness, no electricity, refugees and now a fight with a nieghboring town that wants to take some of the farms and part of the salt mine. Salt is a very important item. The first season wasn't as good as the second. It has faults but it's just a tv show so I never expect perfection. MTV...I blocked that channel.

lovegettinlost
05-05-2007, 08:02 PM
thanks for the info, it soudns alright, I actaully think I over heard my spanish teacher talking about it, I think she said she likes it, maybe I'll have to catch teh show soon, I'm already into Lost, and heros, Lsot is getting old but can't stop watchin, its good I think. MTV is jsut an excuse for people to get famous by doing stupid things for the viewers with jsut slightly a lower IQ then thsoe doing hte stupid thyings.:mad:

timetotrip
05-06-2007, 10:48 AM
Jericho is one of the few non sci-fi shows me and my pops watch together. Just saw the episode where the brothers were being held prisoner in the neighbouring town, new episode tonight... don't know where you guys down south are at.

Thought it a bit wierd when the munitions factory blew up and all of a sudden every single guard left the gate. Yeah, yeah... there was an explosion, but there were 6-8 guards there.