PDA

View Full Version : Change to Foraging Database

Chris
03-25-2009, 10:14 AM
I'm going to be upgrading the foraging database in the next two months, this should be really cool.

It will be integrated with Google Maps, allowing you to pin point exactly (and I mean exactly) where a foragable can be found. Google's satellite imagery isn't at equal resolution everyone on the globe. So how accurate it will be can vary depending on area, but in some areas you could tag it within a few feet.

With each tag you can set it to public or private, so if you don't want to share your locations, you mark it as private, and then the site becomes like a diary or organization tool for your own collection. You could also choose to send a mark to a friend also on the site, if you want to share things just with him/her. Each mark will allow you to add comments and details and upload photos if you want to put up a photo of the location you've tagged.

The ideal situation is, eventually with enough people adding public markers, you'll be able to look at your area of the world and see where to go to find dozens or hundreds of foragables locally.

Then, when that step is done, the next step is a recipe system.

It is just going to be really cool to actually have it be map integrated.

Thoughts?

nell67
03-25-2009, 10:46 AM
I think it is a great idea Chris,and will be a great tool for those who wish to find area specific wild edibles,we have had that question more than once on the forum.

Will other members be able to "tag" edibles that another member posts that also is in their area,even though they may be totally different areas.

Chris
03-25-2009, 10:56 AM
yup, once the edible is in the database, no matter who added it, it can be plotted on the map in any (many) location.

crashdive123
03-25-2009, 12:14 PM
Really good idea. Thanks.

Ken
03-25-2009, 12:27 PM
That IS a neat idea. Thanks, Chris!

Pal334
03-25-2009, 12:28 PM
Another one of those "if I am not careful , I may learn something" ideas. Seriously does make things a bit more accessible. Thank you

Scoobywan
03-25-2009, 12:30 PM
Thanks for this, I actually searched google for this same thing a couple weeks ago :)

crashdive123
03-25-2009, 12:49 PM
Just remember - as a courtesy to forum members - mark your morels accurately.

Rick
03-25-2009, 12:52 PM
This will be a great upgrade! Thanks. I don't spend time on other forums but I do surf the net a lot and I've never seem this before. You heard it here first, sports fans.

Lorna
05-02-2009, 02:23 PM
This is a great idea. Very helpful. Thanks so much Chris.