PDA

View Full Version : C.e.r.t.s

BK-72
03-23-2009, 04:44 PM
Does anyone know anything about this program?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community_Emergency_Response_Team

Thanks for any help.

jrock24
03-23-2009, 04:56 PM
I am a member of my local team. What is it you want to know?

crashdive123
03-23-2009, 05:16 PM
BK-72 - I had heard of it, but really didn't know much about it. I looked up my local area http://www.coj.net/Departments/Fire+and+Rescue/Emergency+Preparedness/CERT2.htm and am going to call this week to get more information on the program and sign up. Thanks for this thread!

BK-72
03-23-2009, 05:56 PM
I am a member of my local team. What is it you want to know?

Basically just curious on demands on personal life mostly.

1. Are you "on call" so many days/nights a month?
1a. How do you respond to a emergency? Meet at the local EMA office?

2. Are there regular/annual meetings?

3. Expanded training. Are there re-certifications that need to be done annually? How many and how often? How much is mandatory and what's optional? Are there a lot of options?

My only problem is that I have my kids every other weekend, and I won't give up my time with them.

BK-72
03-23-2009, 06:00 PM
BK-72 - I had heard of it, but really didn't know much about it. I looked up my local area http://www.coj.net/Departments/Fire+and+Rescue/Emergency+Preparedness/CERT2.htm and am going to call this week to get more information on the program and sign up. Thanks for this thread!

No problem. It looks as is the CERTS program is fairly standardized - here;s my local EMA office -
http://www.co.fairfield.oh.us/emergencymang/?page=cert.html

crashdive123
03-26-2009, 09:40 PM
My wife and I are taking the next class. One night a week (3 hours) for eight weeks, and the participation in a disaster preparedness drill.

Rick
03-26-2009, 09:48 PM
Are you a casualty?

crashdive123
03-26-2009, 09:54 PM
Time will tell....you been talking to my wife?

trax
03-27-2009, 12:04 PM
Are you a casualty?

Uh, Rick? careful there man, that's actually how he looks when he's well, OK?

jrock24
03-27-2009, 01:27 PM
Basically just curious on demands on personal life mostly.

1. No, just ready to respond whenever. Being in Earthquake city, I carry my gear in my truck.

1a. Meet at the EOC that is predeterimned.

2. There are refresher courses every month in different catagories.

3. Being volunteer, everything is optional. Different teams may require different things, so I cannot say what will be expected of you.

You should not have to give up time with your kids for anything.

BK-72
03-27-2009, 06:44 PM
Thanks Jrock24!

I signed up at my local EMA office. Classes start in about three weeks.

Rick
03-27-2009, 06:46 PM
Let us know what kind of training you receive. It sounds interesting.

jrock24
03-27-2009, 06:54 PM
http://www.usc.edu/hsc/info/pr/hsccert/
Check out the link to see pics from our drill.

Rick
03-27-2009, 06:59 PM
Hey! You guys have a really pink fluffy bunny in those pictures!

jrock24
03-30-2009, 06:33 PM
Where, I didn't see one.

crashdive123
03-30-2009, 06:35 PM
Image 2407 - definitely - pink fluffy bunny attack.

Badawg
03-30-2009, 06:58 PM
I am on the CERT team at the University where I work. No on-call or restraints on my life, but some pretty good training for free and on work time :)

Also have some authority when Sh*t happens. That's a good thing!

Kemperor
03-31-2009, 11:52 AM
I'm a CERT. It's amazing how few CERT members that Indiana. There are only 4 in my county, me included.

Kemperor
03-31-2009, 11:56 AM
Oh, I can quite possibly hook you up with CERT training Rick. Just got to get enough people for a class. The instructor lives about 200 yards from me. Central Indiana could use the forces, especially if we get another flood.

jrock24
04-01-2009, 12:51 PM
What type of supplies were you other CERT members given?

Badawg
04-06-2009, 05:36 PM
I used my cert training last week. Read my thread...

What's in my cert bag? Well they gave me a lot of crap and some of it I replaced.

Cert bag as supplied:
3 triage tarps, Small roll Caution tape, 1st aid kit, Water bottle, Hard hat, vest, earplugs, goggles, dust mask, Flashlight, Duct tape, Work gloves, toe tags, sharpie, notebook, Bandanna, emergency blanket. GMRS radio

What I added: Better goggles, hearing protection, Respirator that fits with goggles, big knife, more tape, Headlamp, better gloves, another space blanket and a loading blanket, Actual water and some energy bars, Fence pliers, a big pair of dikes, a hammer, 10' of surgical tubing, 100' of paracord, a poncho, 4 trashbags, some more 1st aid stuff. a fleece vest and a beanie, spare pants and a tee-shirt, crank radio.

BK-72
04-28-2009, 06:08 PM
So I've done a few classes on this - has been interesting so far.

Anyone know where the CERT manual could be downloaded, or happen to have a good clean electronic copy they could send me? The way they bound the manual they gave to us is good and sturdy, but I'd like to have one I can put in a three ring binder and add additional information as needed.

crashdive123
04-28-2009, 06:29 PM
Here's the participant manual if that's what you are looking for. http://www.bpusd.net/files/CERT%20Manual.pdf My wife and I will be taking the next class offered (June).

BK-72
04-28-2009, 08:16 PM
Awesome - exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

BK-72
05-08-2009, 09:23 AM
My wife and I will be taking the next class offered (June).

I'm almost done with my class. Tomorrow we do our scenario drill and we'll be done.

It's been a good class, and I believe it is applicable to my job in corporate security. Since I'm a trainer there I'll be putting together something to share with my co-worker's.

What will be interesting will be the follow-on classes. They are trying to organize a search and rescue scenario for this summer, but next week for example is a fairly simple but important class on the CERT vehicle and trailer, basically just to get CERT members familiar with what is inside it.

The CERT backpack, btw, does need to have a few things added to say the least. I got pretty much what Badawg listed above (no water bottle, toe tags, earplugs, radio or duct tape).

The pack itself is pretty nice though. And now I have a good excuse to go buy a few more things!

oldsoldier
05-09-2009, 01:04 PM
I took the CERT class a couple years ago It has a lot of good "beginner" info SAR, first-aid,etc. I volenteer for local SAR team. EMT/Paramedic/diver/Specialized rescue. ( Rappeling/Para-rescue.) But someone starting out or w/ minimul training will benefit plus meet some neat people. I added B.P. cuff, stethescope, airways, air splints, pen light, O.B kit to mine. I recommend you join a team when a "new" class does its hands on you can have fun being a victim.

Rick
05-09-2009, 02:09 PM
O.B. Kit!!!:eek: I sure hope that stands for onion bulbs. If it has anything to do with delivering babies you can color me gone!!!!!!

RichNH
05-12-2009, 05:38 PM
I'm in our town's CERT. I haven't had any formal training yet but we did have an activation last December (two months before I joined). It was for an ice storm that knocked out power to a lot of houses for several days.

I was asked to join because I'm a ham radio operator, I presume that my actual duties during a declared emergency would include activities in addition to operating the radios at the town's emergency center.

The SM-317 manual is the one I was given when I joined in February.

Rich

crashdive123
05-12-2009, 05:50 PM
My (and TDW) classes start at the end of June.

oldsoldier
05-19-2009, 01:05 AM
Rick..... Sorry OB don't mean onions. Besides deliverin' babies there is a large gauze like pad(s) in the kit that makes an excellent trauma pad for a large wound. Course in a major incident early labor happens.

Rick
05-19-2009, 07:59 AM
I hope that pad is the size of a blanket. I can just cover her up. Eeeeeeewwww!