PDA

View Full Version : Human Waste During an Emergency

Rick
03-22-2009, 08:23 PM
A nice article of some of the pitfalls of various "bathrooms" and how to deal with the problem.

http://www.thefarm.org/charities/i4at/lib2/hmnwaste.htm

crashdive123
03-22-2009, 08:29 PM
Good stuff - what's that on the outhouse? A door?

On another note - if there is no flooding and the sewage system is not backed up, or you are on septic - you can flush the toilets by dumping a bucket of water into the tank, or directly into the bowl. Your gray water, or if you have a swimming pool or spa is a good source.

RangerXanatos
03-22-2009, 09:02 PM
For those emergencies while out hunting/camping.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=462880

oly
03-22-2009, 09:07 PM
I use the cat hole while in the woods.

wildography
03-22-2009, 09:11 PM
On another note - if there is no flooding and the sewage system is not backed up, or you are on septic - you can flush the toilets by dumping a bucket of water into the tank, or directly into the bowl. Your gray water, or if you have a swimming pool or spa is a good source.

This is what we did during Hurricane IKE last September; before the power went out (we were on well water - living near Colmesneil, TX), I filled up the bathtub, to use as water for the toilet. When that ran out, we used water from an old well that we dipped water out with a bucket thing. The water wasn't really fit for drinking, but it worked for the toilet.

Also, before the power went out, we filled up about 15 gallon sized milk jugs with water for drinking. To get the "milk" taste out of the jug, I put a teaspoonfull of chlorine bleach into the jug, put in about a qt of water, swished it around, the dumped it back out; rinsed it again with 1 cup of water... and the jug was ready to be filled with clean water.

Power was out for 8 days, so preparations came in handy.

crashdive123
03-22-2009, 09:18 PM
Also, before the power went out, we filled up about 15 gallon sized milk jugs with water for drinking. To get the "milk" taste out of the jug, I put a teaspoonfull of chlorine bleach into the jug, put in about a qt of water, swished it around, the dumped it back out; rinsed it again with 1 cup of water... and the jug was ready to be filled with clean water.

I know that you did this, and I'm glad that it worked out OK for you. I would caution you and anybody else to never use old milk containers for your water storage. Plastic containers are difficut to rid of all milk products and create a harborage for bacteria to grow. Save 2 liter soda bottles, water bottles or other food grade containers, but not milk containers. Again, I'm glad it worked out OK for you.

Rick
03-22-2009, 09:33 PM
I concur with Crash on the milk jugs. You could also have relied on your water heater. Depending on the size, you would probably have had 40-50 gallons of fresh water on hand. Just be sure to turn the intake off and open the relief valve (normally on top of the heater) so air will replace the water you remove. In addition to my 50 gallon hot water heater, I have two 5 gallon fresh water jugs that I could throw in the truck if I needed to.

On the original post, I live in an urban setting so an outhouse would be out of the question for me. I do wood working so I have plenty of wood. I always thought I'd just build a potty chair with a trash bag inserted in a 5 gallon catch bucket. I use lime in the garden so I'd use it to reduce the odor.

Stairman
03-22-2009, 09:42 PM
My wife would never use that toiletseat hitch. If she did Id crank up the truck and take off. Were on a septic tank, and I installed a T in the line beside the house with a screw-on cap.We can use the portopotty with the blue stuff and empty it right in the tank,but the pool water is best for keeping the tank full. For camping, not backpacking,We have a folding toilet seat[canvas] and just fit a trash bag over it.Tie a knot in it while holding your breath and fling it in the dumpster.Ive got a fear of spiders and will not sit on an outhouse seat.

Rick
03-22-2009, 09:44 PM
LOL! What a ride your wife would have! That's funny, I don't care who you are.

Any spider worth his salt would NEVER hang around under an outhouse seat.

Nativedude
03-22-2009, 09:55 PM
I have seen spiders in outhouses, porta-potties, etc. . . . .Do they have noses? :confused1: :confused1: :confused1:

Oly wrote: "I use the cat hole while in the woods."

I use the "human hole". Cat holes, generally, have already been used. . .by a cat! :lol: :FRlol: :lol: :FRlol: :lol: :FRlol: :lol:

crashdive123
03-22-2009, 09:57 PM
My wife would never use that toiletseat hitch. If she did Id crank up the truck and take off. Man - spit coffee through my nose. Just got a picture of a truck running down Blanding Blvd with a lady sitting on a trailer hitch toilet seat cussing and screaming.

Rick
03-22-2009, 09:59 PM
Or a cop walking up.

"Ma'am. What in the he** do you think your doing?"

"I'm using the toilet!"

"Ma'am. You're in the Wal Mart parking lot!"

Nativedude
03-22-2009, 10:11 PM
Stairman wrote: "My wife would never use that toiletseat hitch. If she did Id crank up the truck and take off."

I just read that and washed the window with my tea.

That there is hilarious, I don't care who you are!

Ken
03-23-2009, 10:37 AM
This thread presents just far too many ways to get banned. I'm gonna' read about those broken knife tips instead. :innocent:

Beans
03-23-2009, 02:56 PM
Don't forget about the paper! cactus plants don't make a good replacement