PDA

View Full Version : worms as survival food ?

Canadian-guerilla
03-22-2009, 07:52 AM
couldn't find a " worms " thread, so i thought i'd start one
with the possibility of being a survival food

good video here of " rooping " worms to the surface

http://www.tampabay.com/video/?v=16951687001

anyone remember cooking/recipe contests using worms ?
bake/cook whatever you wanted, as long as worms were the main ingredient

Rick
03-22-2009, 07:59 AM
Holey Herkamer. That's a new one on me. Wish I had known about that when I was a kid. I would have spent a bit more time fishing and less time digging.

Lot's of protein there. Lot's of bait there as well.

wareagle69
03-22-2009, 08:02 AM
more protein per oz then beef. cool thing is my neighbor has a worm farm, website also i think its thefreindlywormguy.ca

crashdive123
03-22-2009, 08:11 AM
That was a new one on me as well. Pretty cool. Here's some cooking ideas, including cleaning your worms. http://www.zetatalk.com/nonproft/worms/recipes.htm

RunsWithDeer
03-22-2009, 08:17 AM
Doesn't sound too bad as long as you get the dirt out of them.

Canadian-guerilla
03-22-2009, 08:18 AM
more protein per oz then beef. cool thing is my neighbor has a worm farm, website also i think its thefreindlywormguy.ca

http://www.friendlywormguy.com/blog/ :thumbup1:

now i've seen everything, a blog about worms
looking at these worm prices, got me thinking about extra money
just have to do a little local re/search

Rick
03-22-2009, 08:26 AM
One thing we did when we got older was drive metal rods in the ground about 3-4 feet apart. Run a wire from the top of each rod to an old crank magneto from a telephone. Soak the ground with water and wait about an hour for the water to drain down. A couple of turns of the magneto would bring them up too. Works best in early morning and late evening when they are near the surface feeding. They go deeper during the heat of the day.

The same principle will stun fish. Just drop one wire over one side of the boat and the other wire over the other side. Then crank the magneto.

Magnetos can still be found on the net and eBay. A word of caution. Depending on how hard you crank a magneto, you can get a good 90-100 volts out of them. Keep your pinkies out of the way. You won't have to get hit more than a time or two to learn that lesson.

crashdive123
03-22-2009, 08:29 AM
Rick - did you mean megger? Meggers and capacitors - brings back fond memories of a bored sailor and practical jokes.

wareagle69
03-22-2009, 08:30 AM
ha thats funny first time i have looked at jeff's site, thrasher is still there, funny at the bottom he says about the recycled building at looks good to, only thing there that does evrything else to not so nice

Rick
03-22-2009, 08:50 AM
Nope. Magneto. In your case, a magneto is inside the hand cranked megger.

http://physics.kenyon.edu/EarlyApparatus/Electricity/Magneto,_telephone/kenyon121a.JPG

crashdive123
03-22-2009, 08:56 AM
Gotcha....

Ole WV Coot
03-22-2009, 11:08 PM
One thing we did when we got older was drive metal rods in the ground about 3-4 feet apart. Run a wire from the top of each rod to an old crank magneto from a telephone. Soak the ground with water and wait about an hour for the water to drain down. A couple of turns of the magneto would bring them up too. Works best in early morning and late evening when they are near the surface feeding. They go deeper during the heat of the day.

The same principle will stun fish. Just drop one wire over one side of the boat and the other wire over the other side. Then crank the magneto.

Magnetos can still be found on the net and eBay. A word of caution. Depending on how hard you crank a magneto, you can get a good 90-100 volts out of them. Keep your pinkies out of the way. You won't have to get hit more than a time or two to learn that lesson.

You mean to tell me you didn't "borrow" a breakdown set when you did actually work ? Melted phones, killed things and burnt up one trailer(not me). I don't think there are many around anymore, think it was 640v @ 3amp dry cell batteries. Burnt up a cross box and the pole it was on I will admit.:innocent: We would charge all the capacitors and replace them in the box:innocent: Rather some folks would.

LudwigVan
03-26-2009, 12:16 AM
I would only eat the worms if I couldn't catch a fish with them.

And wouldn't worms be a good bait for a bird trap too?

RobertRogers
03-26-2009, 04:40 AM
Protein is protein. If you can eat a fried clam (a worm with a shell that filter feeds from sewerage) then you can eat anything.

Rick
03-26-2009, 09:54 AM
Amen to that. Filter feeds are at the bottom of my "I have to eat these to stay alive" list. Just above hagis.

Nativedude
04-10-2009, 12:05 AM
Worms, ants and grubs are all excellent sources high protein that takes very little energy to find and harvest.

Worms taste like the fat of a pork chop. Most ants taste like a garlic sweet-tart, and grubs don't really have a taste. Although, if you just swallow them whole there is no taste.

And all three are a lot more proficient to get than trying to make snares, set snares and hoping to snare or trap animals.

vthompson
04-10-2009, 01:02 AM
I watched the video, and I have to say that was a first for me. I have never heard of that before.

Rick
04-10-2009, 05:20 AM
Worms taste like the fat of a pork chop.

'xactly! That's why I don't eat them. I'd eat pork fat if I had to just to stay alive but, really, I mean, yuck! Same with worms. I'll worry about that when the times comes. In the meantime...BACON!!!!

Ole WV Coot
04-10-2009, 06:20 PM
The way my luck runs I would be chowing down on a mess of worms and somebody would come by and offer me a ham sandwich while SHE grilled me a nice steak, fried six eggs and made a pan of homemade biscuits.

Rick
04-10-2009, 06:58 PM
There is not much old telephone guys haven't done. There's not much you can trust them with and not much you'd want them to keep an eye on. But you can rest assured we know where all the restaurants and coffee shops are and don't need to be eatin' wigglers.

Nativedude
04-10-2009, 11:10 PM
Worms are gourmet food in the wilderness. . .yummmmmmmmm! :thumbup:

Ole WV Coot
04-11-2009, 12:12 AM
There is not much old telephone guys haven't done. There's not much you can trust them with and not much you'd want them to keep an eye on. But you can rest assured we know where all the restaurants and coffee shops are and don't need to be eatin' wigglers.

Working out of town for a few months I am sure we have had everything that walks or crawls in the only "restaurant" within 100 miles, except for my mind I don't think all those critters hurt me.:tongue_smilie:

Ted
01-16-2010, 03:20 AM
Worms, ants and grubs are all excellent sources high protein that takes very little energy to find and harvest.

Worms taste like the fat of a pork chop. Most ants taste like a garlic sweet-tart, and grubs don't really have a taste. Although, if you just swallow them whole there is no taste.

And all three are a lot more proficient to get than trying to make snares, set snares and hoping to snare or trap animals.

You got that right! One of my favorite spring time meals (next to blugill and morrel omlets) is night crawlers and maple seeds! Boil the worms ,gently squeeze the poop out, hull the raw maple seeds, throw 'em in a skillet with a little butter hummmmmmmmm!

neondog
01-19-2010, 01:06 AM
Magneto
http://physics.kenyon.edu/EarlyApparatus/Electricity/Magneto,_telephone/kenyon121a.JPG

Me and a friend came across one of these when I was twelve but we were having a hard time convincing folks to hold on to the ends of the bare wires.

My friends dad came to the rescue, soldered tin cans to the ends of the wires, then all we had to do was tell 'em to hold one can up to their ear and the other one to their mouth and say hello.

Got a couple dozen real good laughs out of it but then an elderly woman took notice and wanted to try it out. We were too young and too dumb to know better. That was our last demonstration. :blushing:

Rick
01-20-2010, 07:42 AM
You will be hard pressed to find anything hurt quite like that magneto. Ring cycle, perhaps. But that little magneto will light you up.

catfish10101
01-22-2010, 05:20 AM
Nope. Magneto. In your case, a magneto is inside the hand cranked megger.

Just a little note:
This type of fishing is not legal in Louisiana, and probably in most states. (In a survival situation, you do what you have to, but be aware of what you face for it.)

mcgyver
02-09-2010, 04:36 PM
Just a little note:
This type of fishing is not legal in Louisiana, and probably in most states. (In a survival situation, you do what you have to, but be aware of what you face for it.)
If you are caught, throw the gadget in the drink, Run to the conservation officer and hug him yelling "Thank God Somebody found me!".
:ohmy:

klkak
02-09-2010, 05:35 PM
One day many years ago in a land far far away I was pulling watch duty. Well this truck pulls up to the gate. I pick up the receiver for the TA-312 field phone to get permission to let the truck in. As I started cranking on that phone I heard this blood curdling scream. I seems someone was connecting another phone. Come to find out the guy was stripping the wire with his teeth when I started cranking. I know it must have really hurt but it was just so funny that the truck driver and busted out laughing.

hybrid
03-11-2010, 11:49 AM
Sandworms and mangrove worms are traditional foods in Australia. Both also used as bait for beachfishing with much success. I find worms taste like ...eating a worm. Squidgy, kind of rich, very earthy with a hint of humus, haha. Certainly not as tasty as the things you could catch with it but if you are already digging say a sleeping hollow, a watertrap or a firepit and find a few along the way, they might come in handy.

Best time to hunt (possibly with a teeny tiny spear, or miniature bow :P ) is after decent rain, they get flooded up.

I've read that worms fart nitrous oxide, which is quite the party trick.