PDA

View Full Version : baking bread

wareagle69
03-20-2009, 01:33 PM
at the wifes new job as a vet tech doing surgical assistence, her new boss is awesome along with some great benefits she gave linda a bag of amish bread starter, we had to mix it up in the bag over the last 10 days actually yesterday was day 10 but i was to whipped to bake so my first ever bread will be going into the oven in a little while and i will let ya know this evening how it went

Ken
03-20-2009, 01:36 PM
That's good stuff! A batch of starter makes its way back to us every few years. Actually, we're due for some pretty soon. :tongue_smilie:

Rick
03-20-2009, 01:40 PM
I've never made Amish starter bread. I've made a lot of regular yeast bread. You'll be hard pressed to find anything in the world that smells or tastes better than fresh baked bread right out of the oven.

Round cake pans will give you a round loaf if you want something a bit different.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out. Pictures would be good.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, QC. We know. You want your sample. Sheeesh.

Ken
03-20-2009, 01:41 PM
You caught my hint, didn't you? :innocent: Pretty astute for an old guy. Yes you are.

Rick
03-20-2009, 01:50 PM
Why thank you, Ken. Pardon me while I go save the world...again.

http://pro.corbis.com/images/KF012584.jpg?size=67&uid={2DD12A72-99B1-4398-B7EF-FD5109AAA7F1}

laughingbeetle
03-20-2009, 03:48 PM
Rick, I have never used a cake pan if I wanted a round loaf of bread. I just pop the shaped dough on a cookie sheet and let it do it's thing. Wareagle, I look forward to hearing how the starter went.

Rick
03-20-2009, 03:56 PM
I use regular loaf pans and cake pans. I've never tried just "free style". I'll have to try that.

laughingbeetle
03-20-2009, 04:02 PM
Sometime I braid the dough. That comes out really neat looking.

Ken
03-20-2009, 04:19 PM
A Fairy Tale About The Disposition Of A loaf Of Bread

One day as the Little Red Hen was scratching in a field, she found a grain of wheat.

"This wheat should be planted," she said. "Who will plant this grain of wheat?"

"Not I," said Sarge.

"Not I," said Rick.

"Not I," said Crash.

"Then I will," said the Little Red Hen. And she did.

Soon the wheat grew to be tall and yellow.

"The wheat is ripe," said the Little Red Hen. "Who will cut the wheat?"

"Not I," said Sarge.

"Not I," said Rick.

"Not I," said Crash.

When the wheat was cut, the Little Red Hen said, "Who will thresh the wheat?"

"Not I," said Sarge.

"Not I," said Rick.

"Not I," said Crash.

When the wheat was threshed, the Little Red Hen said, "Who will take this wheat to the mill?"

"Not I," said Sarge.

"Not I," said Rick.

"Not I," said Crash.

She took the wheat to the mill and had it ground into flour. Then she said, "Who will make this flour into bread?"

"Not I," said Sarge.

"Not I," said Rick.

"Not I," said Crash.

She made and baked the bread. Then she said, "Who will eat this bread?"

"Oh! I will," said Sarge.

"And I will," said Rick.

"And I will," said Crash.

"No, No!" said the Little Red Hen. "Ken, the Director of Quality Control, will do that." And he did.

Rick
03-20-2009, 04:58 PM
Man! You sure went a long way for a joke.

Ken
03-20-2009, 05:02 PM
Man! You sure went a long way for a joke.

Rick, that was plagerized. "The Little Red Hen?" The Fairy Tale? Don't remember it?

A quick Google search with a cut and paste, a few global replacements, and presto!

No effort. None at all. :blush:

wareagle69
03-20-2009, 05:23 PM
put the miture in the oven a 1700 will be out at 1800

Rick
03-20-2009, 06:06 PM
We'll be there at 1745. Is the beer cold?

wareagle69
03-20-2009, 06:27 PM
no beer here sorry charlie
just had my first piece of bread from the first bread i have ever baked, not bad honestly seems more like a muffin mix though, but the wife just walked in the house and was surprised said it smelled great and wanted to know if it was diffucult, very easy to me, now to play with some other receipes

crashdive123
03-20-2009, 06:30 PM
Growing up, it was always Mom's baked bread. My favorites were her brown bread and her raisin loaf. We rarely bought any, at least that I recall. I've got a hunch you're going to like it.

Rick
03-20-2009, 06:31 PM
For me, the worst thing about making yeast bread is just the waiting. Make, wait, kneed, wait. That kind of thing. Takes a chunk out of the day.

Try this web site. It will keep you busy for a while.

http://www.cookingbread.com/

wareagle69
03-20-2009, 06:41 PM
mm interesting will have to bookmark that one thanks twink

tsitenha
03-20-2009, 10:20 PM
Used to make bread 30 years ago but i have limited myself to biscuits for the last while, I get invited to to a lot of gatherings especialy for my chedar cheese biscuits.

crashdive123
03-20-2009, 10:43 PM
Bisquick = very versatile.

Ken
03-20-2009, 10:45 PM
Bisquick = very versatile.

Bisquick Blueberry Dumplings. :tongue_smilie: The best!

wareagle69
03-21-2009, 08:36 AM
Used to make bread 30 years ago but i have limited myself to biscuits for the last while, I get invited to to a lot of gatherings especialy for my chedar cheese biscuits.

one of my favorites, lite and fluffy warm mmmmmm maybe will practice on those, bisquick is also a great idea

crashdive123
03-21-2009, 08:56 AM
My wife has been on a Bisquick mission lately (much to my delight). Cheese & garlic biscuits - yum. Another fav is the Bisquick soup bowl.

Ken
03-21-2009, 08:59 AM
My wife has been on a Bisquick mission lately (much to my delight). Cheese & garlic biscuits - yum. Another fav is the Bisquick soup bowl.

Yep. It's great stuff. :tongue_smilie: Just don't forget to add an extra 10 miles to your hike this weekend. Maybe a extra hour of exercise, too. :banana:

wareagle69
03-21-2009, 10:13 AM
i screwd up dang it. i just noticed on day six i was supposed to add more flour and mix then seperate at day 10 so i could keep my mixture going now i am out. lynn will have to see if the others followed the rules properly so i can get another batch
see what happens when you are overworked and tired

Ken
03-21-2009, 10:16 AM
i screwd up dang it. i just noticed on day six i was supposed to add more flour and mix then seperate at day 10 so i could keep my mixture going now i am out. lynn will have to see if the others followed the rules properly so i can get another batch
see what happens when you are overworked and tired

It's all Rick's fault. I'm sure of it. :innocent:

tipacanoe
03-21-2009, 10:45 AM
Bakewell Cream for biscuits, can't beat it. Ken you should be able to get that in Mass, as it comes from Hampden Maine. 25 minutes and you can be eating them, I make extra to have with butter and honey or molasses for a snack. Darn good eating.

Chris
03-21-2009, 11:55 AM
Rick, I have never used a cake pan if I wanted a round loaf of bread. I just pop the shaped dough on a cookie sheet and let it do it's thing. Wareagle, I look forward to hearing how the starter went.
Pizza stone. Better than cookie sheet. But that is also how I do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmiY8vbiBo8&feature=related

Video that includes how to shape it freehand for those interested.

Ken
03-21-2009, 11:56 AM
Bakewell Cream for biscuits, can't beat it. Ken you should be able to get that in Mass, as it comes from Hampden Maine. 25 minutes and you can be eating them, I make extra to have with butter and honey or molasses for a snack. Darn good eating.

I'll try to find some. Thanks!

cabingirl
03-21-2009, 03:45 PM
I think I have made that sweet bread before, is it the starter that you add sugar and water to , then press down on the bag a few times each day? .If it is, it is called friendship bread and is very good

wareagle69
03-21-2009, 08:21 PM
I think I have made that sweet bread before, is it the starter that you add sugar and water to , then press down on the bag a few times each day? .If it is, it is called friendship bread and is very good

yup thats it day 6 you add milk flower and sugar and then day 10 you divide into four bags give 3 away, friendship bread is also another name for it, great stuff

palerider
03-24-2009, 07:18 PM
anyone know any good starters?

crashdive123
03-24-2009, 07:21 PM
Bored tonight?

palerider
03-24-2009, 07:27 PM
nope. why?

crashdive123
03-24-2009, 07:30 PM
My bad. Just looked like you were talking to yourself.

palerider
03-24-2009, 07:34 PM
would take toooooooo loooong to expalin it to ya

Rick
03-24-2009, 08:34 PM
I won't get too worried until he starts answering himself. If the two of them get a conversation going I'm outta here!

laughing beetle
03-24-2009, 08:38 PM
Dancing bear... Cool avatar, paleeagle.

palerider
03-24-2009, 08:58 PM
if the bickering starts then duck and cover

LudwigVan
03-26-2009, 12:04 AM
I have been doing some sourdough lately, If by round loaf you mean "artisan" style with a nice crispy crust, my mom has a recipie where she puts it in a clay crock pot in the oven. Half with the top on and the rest of the time with the top off IIRC..

I like making focaccia. Good stuff.

RBB
03-26-2009, 03:25 PM
My mother always made excellent home made bread. It was that much better if someone in the family got a bear. My great aunt would come and do the rendering. Bear oil was much better than lard or shortening for baking and Aunt Vi could get it nice and clear. When there was bear oil - there was no end of baking. Best donuts and pies I've ever had.

On a totally different tack - here is a great bread recipe from a Dominican nun:

Sister's Rye

Water - one pint
Yeast - one
Rye flour - 1 1/2 cups
Bread flour - 2 cups
Salt - 1 Tbl
Mollasses - 1/2 cup
Shortening - 3 Tbl
Ground carraway - 1/4 oz
Orange peel - 1 oz (optional)

Best and sweetest rye you've ever had.

Ken
03-26-2009, 03:46 PM
Bear oil was much better than lard or shortening for baking and Aunt Vi could get it nice and clear. When there was bear oil - there was no end of baking. Best donuts and pies I've ever had.

"Bear oil which is from rendered bear fat sells for $14.00 per ounce or $0.50 per gram plus shipping

Bear oil has many uses. Besides culinary and soap making, it is used in crafts, medicine, conditioning leather and hair, oil lamps, as a lubricant, as a skin softener, in cosmetics, as aphrodisiac and rejuvenator, to promote hair growth and countless other uses." http://www.naturallist.com/bearfat.htm

Wow. Never heard of this before. This stuff sells for $14.00 per ounce and its legal? I'm in the wrong line of work.

RBB
03-26-2009, 04:07 PM
"Bear oil which is from rendered bear fat sells for $14.00 per ounce or $0.50 per gram plus shipping

Bear oil has many uses. Besides culinary and soap making, it is used in crafts, medicine, conditioning leather and hair, oil lamps, as a lubricant, as a skin softener, in cosmetics, as aphrodisiac and rejuvenator, to promote hair growth and countless other uses." http://www.naturallist.com/bearfat.htm

Wow. Never heard of this before. This stuff sells for $14.00 per ounce and its legal? I'm in the wrong line of work.

You've never tried to render it. a moment's inattention - and the whole kettle's gone bad.

Ken
03-26-2009, 04:38 PM
You've never tried to render it. a moment's inattention - and the whole kettle's gone bad.

Can you describe what it tastes like - compared to regular lard or vegetable oil?

trax
03-26-2009, 04:48 PM
Can you describe what it tastes like - compared to regular lard or vegetable oil?

Has a bit of a bear-y taste to it, I think because bears eat a lot of berries. Actually, though, what I've had didn't have a lot of taste to it at all, but I would say greater viscosity than lard or vegetable oil that is store bought.

LowKey
03-28-2009, 01:00 PM
I made some yeast bread last night. Since the dehydrator I jsut got says you can raise bread in it, I tried it. Put in a pan of water on the bottom, put the bowl in with a damp towel cover and set it for 115º. It only took 20 minutes to double!

Careful on the pan-rise though, 20 minutes was too long and the one in the small pan grew legs and had to be punched down for a third rise. LOL.
A most excellent time-saver for bread.

If the wood stove was still going though, I'd do it the longer wait way and save the electricity.