PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Pole

vthompson
03-16-2009, 02:41 PM
How many of you guy's carry a fishing pole around in your BOB ? I do and it's easy to do. I have an ultra-light reel with 6# test line on it that I keep in my BOB. I also carry some eye screws so that I can screw them into any type of pole that I want for the line guides. I carry zip-tie straps to hold my reel onto the pole and it works real well.
I then have a small plastic box with assorted hooks, split shot, swivels, and small spinners and spoons. To beat it all, it doesn't take up much room at all and you always have it when you need it.

Sourdough
03-16-2009, 03:29 PM
Six Pound test line is what Alaskans use to catch bait, Real men use 3/4" wire rope cable, and back the D-7 Dozer down to the river, and free spool some line off the Hyster wench........:innocent::innocent::innocent: Note: to snarled traffic, D-7 makes a good Get out of Dodge Rig.

Sarge47
03-16-2009, 03:52 PM
Not if I was going into the desert. Depends on where you're at. I'm a fly fisherman so a homemade rig is good enough for me.:cool2:

Ken
03-16-2009, 05:13 PM
For fresh water fishing, I have one of these: http://www.gofastandlight.com/Ultralight-Fishing-Pen-Rod-with-Large-BaitCast-Reel-COMBO/productinfo/F-P-STDKIT/

For salt water fishing, I have a hand-line rig that looks like this, http://www.theyachtshop.co.uk/images/h07621.jpg with 50 lb test wrapped around it.

I live near the ocean, and have a personal preference for salt water fish if a choice can be made.

I also have two "Altoids" tackle tins - one for fresh water and one for salt water.

Rick
03-16-2009, 05:28 PM
Ken - Is that first rig any good? I've seen those advertised and have thought about getting one a time or two but didn't know how good they were. I posted late last year looking for a backpacking rig but never really found one I like.

Years ago I had a hand line for fresh water similar to the second link you posted. They are really pretty simple to make.

Ken
03-16-2009, 05:43 PM
Ken - Is that first rig any good? I've seen those advertised and have thought about getting one a time or two but didn't know how good they were. I posted late last year looking for a backpacking rig but never really found one I like.

Years ago I had a hand line for fresh water similar to the second link you posted. They are really pretty simple to make.

Rick, I bought several of the first ones as stocking stuffers for Christmas - one for my stocking, too! I've only played with it at home, but I think it'll work okay. I'll field test it soon. It comes with different types of reels - box, open-faced, or fly. Before, I used my handline for fresh water as well. Now I've got another toy for my kit. It weighs almost nothing, but still, I know that ounces add up to pounds quickly.

My handline is homemade - it's probably older than I am. The link was just an example of the design.

Sourdough
03-16-2009, 05:49 PM
[QUOTE=Ken;106419]For salt water fishing, I have a hand-line rig that looks like this, http://www.theyachtshop.co.uk/images/h07621.jpg with 50 lb test wrapped around it. QUOTE]

Ken, How long since you read, "The Old Man & The Sea"........?

Rick
03-16-2009, 05:51 PM
I've never seen the fly reel version. Cool. I love to fly fish. I can take a LOT of game fish with a fly rod in a very short time. More than enough to eat.

I've posted this before but it's worth repeating. There is a lot of concern about the safety of eating fresh water fish. Most state DNRs regularly check the quality of fish in various lakes, streams and rivers and post which are safe and which have restrictions including those fish that should not be eaten. Check your state's DNR and learn which sources of water are safe. It could be a valuable piece of knowledge.

For those living in and near Indiana, that information is found in the Indiana Fishing Guide beginning on page 24.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/2347.htm

Ken
03-16-2009, 05:57 PM
[QUOTE=Ken;106419]For salt water fishing, I have a hand-line rig that looks like this, http://www.theyachtshop.co.uk/images/h07621.jpg with 50 lb test wrapped around it. QUOTE]

Ken, How long since you read, "The Old Man & The Sea"........?

Years and years ago, David - in high school. I was probably reading Chapter 2 when you were celebrating your 65th Birthday. :happybday::wheelchair:

Just kidding! :flowers: I shouldn't be picking on you - it's not like you're not a Super Moderator. :thumbdown:

Ken
03-16-2009, 05:58 PM
I've never seen the fly reel version. Cool. I love to fly fish.

Here ya' go, Rick! http://www.gofastandlight.com/Ultralight-Fish-Pen-Rod-with-Fly-Reel-COMBO/productinfo/F-P-FLYKIT/

Sourdough
03-16-2009, 06:01 PM
Rick, I've only played with it at home, but I think it'll work okay. I'll field test it soon.

Don't cram to hard for the test, you don't want things to get out of hand....:innocent::innocent::innocent:&:smash:

Ken
03-16-2009, 06:05 PM
Don't cram to hard for the test, you don't want things to get out of hand....:innocent::innocent::innocent:

LMAO!!!!!:lol::lol::lol::clap::clap::clap:

Runs With Beer
03-16-2009, 08:53 PM
For fresh water fishing, I have one of these: http://www.gofastandlight.com/Ultralight-Fishing-Pen-Rod-with-Large-BaitCast-Reel-COMBO/productinfo/F-P-STDKIT/

For salt water fishing, I have a hand-line rig that looks like this, http://www.theyachtshop.co.uk/images/h07621.jpg with 50 lb test wrapped around it.

I live near the ocean, and have a personal preference for salt water fish if a choice can be made.

I also have two "Altoids" tackle tins - one for fresh water and one for salt water.

Thats the smallest one Ive seen yet, Please let us know when you try it out.

Ken
03-16-2009, 09:04 PM

Will do, RWB!

Sourdough
03-16-2009, 10:37 PM

Smallest one I have seen, However it is well polished...........:rockon::rockon::rockon::oops:

Sarge47
03-16-2009, 11:15 PM
You're kidding me! Somebody's posted a piece of gear that can be found in any large-size shopping mall, & that's been advertised in many "pulp" mags; & YOU haven't seen one before? Oh crap! This is a moment indeed!:lol:

Sourdough
03-16-2009, 11:32 PM
Wait just a minute, Ken is my "publicity" agent..........are you inferring that he is advertising in cheap "Pulp" magazines.......? And using a photo of a small pole, I am doomed, I'll never get a women.......:no::no::no::no::no:

Sarge47
03-16-2009, 11:39 PM
Wait just a minute, Ken is my "publicity" agent..........are you inferring that he is advertising in cheap "Pulp" magazines.......? And using a photo of a small pole, I am doomed, I'll never get a women.......:no::no::no::no::no:
Trust me, that ain't the problem; forget the door on the outhouse & get some indoor plumbing. That'd be a good start!:innocent:

crashdive123
03-17-2009, 07:46 AM
Hope - It wasn't the small pole that's going to scare em off....it's the hand line.:lol:

Ken
03-17-2009, 11:05 AM
I can see that I should now compose my posts with the same care and scrutiny as I do with contracts and memoranda. :sneaky2:

Nah. If I did that, I may as well spend the time working and making money.

RBB
03-17-2009, 06:51 PM
Many years ago my bro-in-law gave me a light weight rod and reel which stores in a 16 inch carrying case. This rig is so easy to pack I've been looking for another one for the Mrs ever since. It goes on all my canoe trips and has landed some pretty hefty fish over the years.

hoosierarcher
03-17-2009, 08:49 PM
Remeber the addage "You can catch big fish on small hooks but you can't catch small fish on big hooks." I've caught fish around 12 pounds in weight on 6 pound line on 11 foot UL rods and tiny hooks with a maggot for bait. I was shocked that decent walleye and smallmouth hit such small bait. Spinning rod with Fire Wire. Fire Wire 6# is the diameter of 1.5# monofilament (if I remember correctly) and it casts very well indeed.
All my fishing stuff was stolen out of my storage unit over the Winter. Along with a lot of my other stuff(90%). I'll be rebuilding my gear this year.

Rick
03-17-2009, 09:19 PM
Man! That's bad news indeed. I hope they catch whoever did it and I hope either the storage place was responsible for security and/or you had insurance.

hoosierarcher
03-17-2009, 11:12 PM
The Storage place(the new owner) says he did not continue the previous owners insurance for losses or any policy of the previous owner. So I was just SOL. You'd think someone would have seen some guys loading a truck with a washer and dryer(not to mention everything else) at 2 in the morning.

Ken
03-18-2009, 06:25 AM
The Storage place(the new owner) says he did not continue the previous owners insurance for losses or any policy of the previous owner. So I was just SOL. You'd think someone would have seen some guys loading a truck with a washer and dryer(not to mention everything else) at 2 in the morning.

You may NOT be SOL. Unless you were notified otherwise when the new owner took possession and control of the facility, the new owner generally assumes all of the obigations, liabilities, and responsibilities of the original owner. Check your original storage contract. Is theft or loss insurance mentioned in its provisions? If so, the new guy's likey bound by the obligation to continue to provide such insurance coverage.

Think about this: How many people would even KNOW that ownership of such a facility had changed hands? It's the new owners obligation to notify you of changes in ownership and policies. Did he/she do that?

In Massachusetts, if insurance was part of the original contract with the original owner, and the new owner failed to give notice of any change to you, the new owner would either have to make a reasonbable offer of settlement to compensate you for your loss or he/she would be potentially liable for treble (3 times) damages (your losses), plus 12% annual statutory interest, litigation costs, and attorney's fees. That's a pretty good incentive for the owner to do the right thing.

This is something you should definitely run by a local lawyer.

hoosierarcher
03-18-2009, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the info Ken I will look into it and run it by a lawyer. I was told I would need a photo inventory to get 100% reimbursed. I don't have that. I new owner has offered me a lump sum far below the actual replacement costs. In fact less than the cost of my custom made 11 foot ultralight rod. A fly rod builder up in Michigan that was an aquantence of mine made it for me after a discussion of a rod that could be used for panfish but still land a walleye or bass. I even caught Spanish mackeral in the Gulf of Mexico with it, much to the suprize of my Floridian guide.Man oh man I miss that rod.