PDA

View Full Version : General awareness

Stargazer
03-15-2009, 01:17 PM
Friday night at work we had the fire alarm go off.Nothing in the kitchen smelled out of the ordinary so after shutting down my equipment I made my way to the back kitchen to get my jacket.Being the only one there I decided to make sure no one was in the walk-in cooler or freezer.When that was done I used a side door to get out.I was the last one to leave the kitchen.When I got outside I heard one of the managers ask is everyone out?
So I said I checked the walk-ins and they were empty.I'm thining a manager should have known that for themselves.I overheard some of the wait staff saying they just about ran out of the building.It was an odd feeling watching some of the management not knowing what they should be doing.I asked if the bathrooms were cleared and all the customers were out.I believe so was the answer I got.The fire department showed up and told us someone had bumped one of the pull boxes and we were OK to go back in.

When the GM gets back to work on Tuesday I plan on talking to him to make sure there is some kind of plan put into place so this "believing" everyone is out does not happen again.

crashdive123
03-15-2009, 01:48 PM
Good idea. There are a few on here that have done, and still do workplace preparedness so they may be able to offer some suggestions. IMO it is prudent to have a plan. Something like - head chef and kitchen staff muster at "x" location, chef takes head count to make sure all are accounted for and then reports to GM. Host/Hostess makes sure all cutomers get out and then muster wait staff at "y" location and then reports to GM. This way, when the fire department arrives a report can be made with confidence to them that all staff and customers have exited the building. No point in an emergency situation to risk the safey of one of the first responders needlessly. Of course a periodic practice drill would be beneficial. Make it fun. Have the families in before hours - run the drill - maybe heavy hors d'eouveres for all.

Rick
03-15-2009, 02:28 PM
Someone, perhaps the manager on duty, should be the fire warden or whatever title. They should have a duty list for those working that night and that should be carried out with them to ensure all the employees are out and no one is forgotten. Individuals should be designated to check specific areas working from the back of the shop to the front or toward the nearest exit, whichever is safest. They would not only be checking for the source of the fire but also for any patrons that have not left. As Crash said, that could be the head chef, head waiter, whoever. I agree with you, your GM should be very concerned not only from a moral perspective but from a liability perspective as well.

BK-72
03-23-2009, 04:42 PM
When the GM gets back to work on Tuesday I plan on talking to him to make sure there is some kind of plan put into place so this "believing" everyone is out does not happen again.

I would look into developing a Floor Warden as mentioned above, and depending on the size of your organizations, extra people assigned specifically as Searchers, responsible for searching a given area, and finally Door Guides - who would be responsible for making sure that the fire exit(s) are kept open until the last person in out (that would be the Floor Warden).

The Floor Warden would then be responsible for conducting the head count once outside. Make sure there is a designated rally point outside where everyone will meet.

There should be a employee roster by every fire exit to help with the head count.

The Floor Warden should also have access to a "go bag" (or whatever you want to call it - we call ours "Emergency Bag") that has roster's, flashlight, whistle and a basic first aid kit.

There should be someone responsible, a safety coordinator perhaps, that would make sure that there are Floor Wardens, Searchers and Door Guides on the staff at all times, that these personnel are trained in first aid, are comfortable with using a fire extinguisher, know the locations of fire exits and can recognize potential fire hazards.

To top it off, these people would also be responsible for severe weather emergencies as well (especially since this is Severe Weather Awareness Week). The big difference there is of course not to let people outside.

If you like, I could send you a copy of the brief that we have for our Emergency Team and their responsibilities during a evacuation or relocation. It's two pages long, but I think it sums up the duties of the Warden/Searcher/Door Guide pretty well. Just PM a email addy to me.

endurance
03-23-2009, 09:56 PM
There's a great book on this subject called The Unthinkable. It talks about how it's important not just to have a plan on paper, not just to drill portions of the plan, but to follow through and learn from each experience. The author looked into 9/11 survivors and victims and found that some companies, like Morgan Stanley, really took drills seriously after the 1993 WTC bombing and acually made employees go down several flights of stairs during drills. Most companies in the WTC only made people go into the hallways near the stairs. Morgan Stanley had one of the highest survival rates of any company in the upper floors of the WTC.

I'd highly recommend the book to any building engineers, managers, and security. Complacency kills.

crashdive123
03-23-2009, 10:02 PM
Reminds me of the signs, banners and posters in all of the simulators I've been through. "Train they way you're going to fight, because you will fight the way you train".

endurance
03-23-2009, 10:32 PM
People do the damndest things. On 9/11 they estimate that somewhere between 50-200 people went up the stairs instead of down because they'd seen helicopter rescues on TV in 1993. Unfortunately, they arrived at a locked door and wasted precious minutes that cost them their lives.

I've gone a bit to the extreme at my work. I brought in a 150' 7mm static line, webbing, old harness and figure-8 just to make sure I have my way out no matter what. ...and yes, my coworkers find it odd that I also have duct tape, MREs, 4D cell light, and a smoke hood in my filing cabinet, too.

Rick
03-23-2009, 10:35 PM
Let's see, (Crash) I think I remember someone (Crash) checking in to a hotel in the far east (Crash) and the room (Crash) had a rope that could be used to repel out of the window (Crash) in case of air raid. If I remember correctly (Crash) it was on the 14th floor. Now who was that?

crashdive123
03-23-2009, 10:39 PM
Hmmmmm - wonder who that was...

DrWELLth
04-01-2009, 09:54 PM
Picking on the practice angle in Endurance's post ... makes a lot of sense ... to practice your preparedness means: you know it will work when neeeded ... and therefore, the practice(s) must mean something to those participating ...

crashdive123
04-01-2009, 09:57 PM
Very true - practice is important. Hey - You can practice your next post in the Introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself. Thanks.

Alpine_Sapper
04-01-2009, 10:12 PM
I've gone a bit to the extreme at my work. I brought in a 150' 7mm static line, webbing, old harness and figure-8 just to make sure I have my way out no matter what. ...and yes, my coworkers find it odd that I also have duct tape, MREs, 4D cell light, and a smoke hood in my filing cabinet, too.

You too, huh? I'm glad that my filing cabinet has a lock on it. It keeps me from having to have the locked bag sitting out next to it. :)