PDA

View Full Version : Wilderness Survival Covers Urban Survival Too.

Rick
03-13-2009, 08:23 AM
While the focus of this forum is on Wilderness Survival if that is the only subject of your survival training and preparations then you are placing yourself at unnecessary risk. There are five (in my opinion) locations that you should prepare yourself and your family to survive in. Home, Automobile, Work/School, Traveling, and Wilderness. Since we never know when and where a disaster is going to occur it only makes sense to take steps to mitigate the effects to whatever extent we can. While the subject is far too large to detail in a simple post I just wanted to bring the idea to the forefront so everyone at least thinks about it.

You could find yourself in the living room, a hotel room, at the mall, in your Toyota Prius (you are green, right?) or on the job when the next disaster happens. Will you be in a position to save yourself and assist those around you? Time to extend those plans...

Alpine_Sapper
03-13-2009, 08:43 AM
in your Toyota Prius (you are green, right?)

I couldn't fit the minigun in the Prius, so I opted for something a little larger...

http://www.provostnews.ca/thenews/arch/pics2006/monster_truck_kinsmen.gif

bulrush
03-15-2009, 07:02 PM
The truck looks like a horned chameleon.

And what's with your sig talking about mold on lady parts?

Alpine_Sapper
03-15-2009, 10:47 PM
The truck looks like a horned chameleon.

And what's with your sig talking about mold on lady parts?

Um, yeah, it was the first that wasn't retarded that popped in the google search. Speaking of which, if you want to know what the quote means...

Ken
03-16-2009, 11:41 AM
Um, yeah, it was the first that wasn't retarded that popped in the google search. Speaking of which, if you want to know what the quote means...

Let me help you here, Sapper! :) I looked up your quote months ago. The following is edited AND shamelessly plagerized from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molon_Labe!

"Molon labe!" refers to an ancient Greek expression for "Come and take them!", in reference to unilateral disarmament. Molôn Labé! was the reply of Sparta's King Leonidas to the Persian demand for surrender at the Battle of Thermopylae. The phrase is becoming a modern-day Second Amendment cry of resolve never to disarm in the face of tyranny.

Molôn Labé! is Kenneth W. Royce's first fiction book (cover credited to "Boston T. Party"). The novel deals with the migration of freedom-minded individuals to the state of Wyoming, where they take political power through the use of the ballot box.

Molôn Labé!, the free state movement's first novel, has encouraged many people to relocate to Wyoming for their own immediate increase in personal freedom, as well as for long-term hopes of bolstering the general climate of liberty in the Cowboy State.

The novel is very popular among gun rights activists, and sells out at gun shows nearly uniformly on the first day of two day shows."

It's a good quote, Sapper. I like it.

Alpine_Sapper
03-17-2009, 12:00 AM
Let me help you here, Sapper! :) ...
It's a good quote, Sapper. I like it.

Thanks, Ken. I had no idea it was a novel, though not surprised. As well as the sentiment Leonidas had behind the statement, I like the following explanation as well;

The Greek phrase Molōn labe! (Μολὼν λάβε; approximate Classical Greek pronunciation [molɔ̀ːn labé], Modern Greek [moˈlon laˈve]), meaning "Come and take them!", is a classical expression of defiance reported by Plutarch in response to the Persian Army's demand that the Spartans surrender their weapons. It corresponds roughly to the modern equivalent English phrase "over my dead body", "bring it on" or, most closely, "come and get it". It is an exemplary use of a laconic phrase.

Molon labe has been repeated by many later generals and politicians in order to express an army's or nation's determination to not surrender. The motto ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ is on the emblem of the Greek First Army Corps,[3] and is also the motto of United States Special Operations Command Central (SOCCENT).[4]

In the Anglosphere, both the original Greek phrase and its English translation are often heard from pro-gun activists as a defence of the right to keep and bear arms. It began to appear on pro-RKBA web sites in the late 1990s and early 2000s. In the wake of firearm seizures during Hurricane Katrina and the subsequent defiance of Federal court orders by the New Orleans government to return seized weapons, the phrase has again gained popularity among Second Amendment supporters.

I figured something along the lines of "IRA, the only army never defeated" might be a little to offensive to some considering the recent activity of the criminal splinter cells.

To all the Irish out there, Happy St. Patty's day. Slàinte! Erin go bragh!
:clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::c lover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover:
:clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::c lover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover:

wade
03-17-2009, 11:53 AM
Ok, what was it that the IRA would say? You got my curiosity up now.

Rick
03-17-2009, 12:04 PM
Welcome to the forum, Wade. Sure and you might be knowin' twould be a lucky thing indeed if you found yourself over at the Introduction section to tell us a wee bit about yourself.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14

wade
03-17-2009, 12:22 PM
Welcome to the forum, Wade. Sure and you might be knowin' twould be a lucky thing indeed if you found yourself over at the Introduction section to tell us a wee bit about yourself.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14

Thanks for the welcome Rick. I do not think it would be lucky if I went there. It is just a matter of me learning to read all of the titles. Did not see the introduction section. :blushing: But I warn you there is not much to tell.

Rick
03-21-2009, 08:36 AM
As the economy continues to drag on, crime on every level continues to increase. I know a lot of folks live in communities where leaving locks unlocked is just a part of life. However, thefts and burglaries are on the increase so you may want to rethink that habit. Keep items out of sight inside your vehicles or in the back of your truck. Lock your vehicles and your home and outbuildings. There's just no reason to invite criminal activity.

crashdive123
03-21-2009, 08:57 AM
Along those same lines - trash - do not advertise a recent purchase by tossing an old television or the box the new one came in.

wade
03-21-2009, 01:01 PM
Along those same lines - trash - do not advertise a recent purchase by tossing an old television or the box the new one came in.

I saw that on TV awhiile back. I had never thought about it before. They said that people would drive around and see what everyone had just bought or got for Christmas and later come back and help themselves. Good advice Crashdive