PDA

View Full Version : Seed shelf life?

Antifeds
03-12-2009, 11:27 PM
What is the best way to store seeds, and how long can they be expected to remain viable?

Ken
03-12-2009, 11:35 PM
Check this out: http://www.survivalseedbank.com/?gclid=CNmLgrr8npkCFQETGgod1Xsepg

Rick
03-13-2009, 07:40 AM
As I've said in other threads, store them in your refrigerator. They will remain viable for years. I simply close or fold over the seed package and place it on a shelf of the refrigerator door. I have a refrigerator in my garage so the door isn't opened and closed as much as one that would be in the house but the seeds should still be fine. I planted lettuce and radishes earlier this year that are three years old. I planted spinach that is four years old.

You will probably loose some seed after several years but not enough to notice. At least I haven't yet. I've always used up my seeds over the course of a few years and I've never had to discard any because they were no longer viable.

Cool and dry are the only two requirements for storing seeds and the refrigerator is perfect.

Actual plants will not last nearly as long, however. Onion sets, for example, will only be good for two years, generally. After that the fail rate is very high.