PDA

View Full Version : Bersa Thunder .380

Rockgod1619
03-12-2009, 07:57 PM
I'm looking at getting my CCW this summer, and was wondering what this forum's members thought of the Bersa Thunder .380. I've read some reviews online but was wondering what you guys thought about it.

crashdive123
03-12-2009, 07:59 PM
Not familiar with that one.

Rockgod1619
03-12-2009, 08:05 PM
Saw it today when I went to Academy. Seems pretty solid, and less than half the cost of a Glock.

MatthewnOK
03-12-2009, 08:44 PM
Be prepared to fill out MANY long forums. It takes longer to buy one gun at academy that two somewhere else.

Rockgod1619
03-12-2009, 08:48 PM
Haha, well I'll probably go somewhere other than Academy then! Thanks for the tip Matthew! How are the forms at Bass Pro?

MatthewnOK
03-12-2009, 08:49 PM
I've never actually been to one of those. You mileage at academy may very. It took my Father almost an hour of forums to buy a .22. The next week we went to a pawn shop and picked up his Taurus Judge. It took maybe twenty minutes at the most.

Rockgod1619
03-12-2009, 08:54 PM
Hmmm. Well I'll definitely take that into consideration when I finally look into buying my handgun, which won't be until this summer.

SARKY
03-12-2009, 09:18 PM
The bersa is OK... not great. There are so many small Nines out there now that are the same size as the Bersa, I don't know why anyone would carry a .380 when they can carry something the same size but with more power.

Rockgod1619
03-12-2009, 10:33 PM
Thanks for in the info SARKY. One of the main reasons I'm looking at the Bersa is that I heard they were good guns for the money and were good for CCW.

Rick
03-12-2009, 10:36 PM
Rockgod - Are you wanting it for personal protection? The CCW thing sort of says yes. I have the same opinion as Sarky on the .380. Take a look at the Kel-Tec PF9. It's the smallest 9mm on the market. I carry it for CCW. It's sitting next to me watching me type.

Rockgod1619
03-12-2009, 10:50 PM
Hmmm. I'll definitely keep the PF9 in mind when I'm shopping around. Seems kind of light, but I'd have to hold it in hand to know for sure. Thanks for the info Rick!

Edit: And yes, for personal protection, whether in the city or the woods.

SARKY
03-13-2009, 09:58 AM
Remember... this is a firearm you carry lots and fire a little. Not the other way around.

Rockgod1619
03-13-2009, 11:13 AM
This is true. The more I've read about the PF9, the more I like it. Who knows, may have to get two. One for me and one for the wife. I'm gonna have her get her CCW this summer too...

Rick
03-13-2009, 02:25 PM
Your wife probably won't like the PF9. Because of it's size it kicks worse than my .45. And you sure don't want to limp wrist it. You'll jam for sure if you do that. You want to give it good solid support.

chiye tanka
03-13-2009, 03:48 PM
The Bersa is a great gun for the money, several of the guys I work with carry that off duty.
I agree with Rick and Sarky though, 9mm would be better. The Kel-Tec is very good, is American made, and has a lifetime warrenty.

BTW, Rick I got you! The smallest 9mm is the Rohrbaugh. Sorry, I couldn't help myself. :lol: It is the cheepest, the Rohrbaugh's dealer cost is $900.00.

sgtdraino
03-17-2009, 11:27 PM
I'm looking at getting my CCW this summer, and was wondering what this forum's members thought of the Bersa Thunder .380. I've read some reviews online but was wondering what you guys thought about it.

My wife owned one for a while. Like others have said, pretty good value for money, but can't really be called a "great gun." It is big and heavy for a .380.

I too would recommend some of the smaller Kel-tec/Ruger entries, like the PF-9 or the P3AT, though my present personal preference is the Kahr PM series, possibly the best power to size/weight ratio out there right now. The PM9 is fairly time-tested at this point, I've been happy with the PM40 I carry, and I am thinking about swapping out for a PM45.

However, Kahr is not in the same price range as Bersa.

EastCoast
03-18-2009, 12:47 AM
I have one that I purchased for the same reason. Dollar for dollar,its a good deal for the money. The .380 is a little lighter load than the 9mm, but in the right hands at 10 to 50 ft its sufficient. I can usually maintain an 8 to 10 inch group at 45 ft. Its made in Argintina,modled after the Walther PPK. All metal frame,no plastic except for the grips. it has a good weight to recoil ratio. Breaks down for cleaning easily. Has a good fullgrip and balances well. I looked at the KEL-TEK 9mm, Its a good gun, their well made for the money, but a little too light. The grips to short unless you get an extended mag, w/ an extended grip.At that point the thunder is a better fit. The small KEL-TEK 9,is ideal if space to carry is limited. It fits well in a pocket, but the 9mm is a heavy load for a gun that does not fit your hand well, and is hard to be accurate with at more than 20ft.

loki
04-01-2009, 08:11 PM
I have one that I purchased for the same reason. Dollar for dollar,its a good deal for the money. The .380 is a little lighter load than the 9mm, but in the right hands at 10 to 50 ft its sufficient. I can usually maintain an 8 to 10 inch group at 45 ft. Its made in Argintina,modled after the Walther PPK. All metal frame,no plastic except for the grips. it has a good weight to recoil ratio. Breaks down for cleaning easily. Has a good fullgrip and balances well. I looked at the KEL-TEK 9mm, Its a good gun, their well made for the money, but a little too light. The grips to short unless you get an extended mag, w/ an extended grip.At that point the thunder is a better fit. The small KEL-TEK 9,is ideal if space to carry is limited. It fits well in a pocket, but the 9mm is a heavy load for a gun that does not fit your hand well, and is hard to be accurate with at more than 20ft.

I also have one and the reason I bought mine was for some of the same reasons metal frame, good weight, full grip plus I like the fact that I have can fire double or single action if I choose. I have the thunder plus so I have 15rounds of .380 in a medium size package and it cost me half of what a glock would have cost. I like mine plus since I leave it in my glove compartment a lot while at work, I don't want some 500 dollar plus gun to get stolen. Most of my firearms like my knives are working tools not relics or show pieces and like accordingly each has their own little niche that they fit in to make me carry that one on that particular day for a particular reason. I don't know what anybodys told you, but at under 15ft with shots to the head chest, and stomach the .380 works too.

Rick
04-01-2009, 08:19 PM
Ooops, Chiya, The Rohrbaugh unloaded is 12.8 while the PF9 unloaded is 12.7. Close, though. Mighty close. I'll call that a draw.

Pict
04-01-2009, 11:03 PM
I can't comment on the Bersa Thunder directly but I have heard good things about them. I did carry a Walther PPK/S for a while and I wasn't enamored with the .380 round. There is less of a selection of ammo whenever you go to buy it. In terms of power factor 9mm is a significant step upwards, it is much easier to find good loads, and the guns are just as small as many .380's especially the Bersa. I traded my PPK/S in for a Kahr K-9 (all steel) and never looked back. Mac

loki
04-02-2009, 08:31 PM
I can't comment on the Bersa Thunder directly but I have heard good things about them. I did carry a Walther PPK/S for a while and I wasn't enamored with the .380 round. There is less of a selection of ammo whenever you go to buy it. In terms of power factor 9mm is a significant step upwards, it is much easier to find good loads, and the guns are just as small as many .380's especially the Bersa. I traded my PPK/S in for a Kahr K-9 (all steel) and never looked back. Mac

I am not saying that a Kahr and Walther are not good firearms in fact they are very good, but as I said mine is pretty much designated as a truck glove compartment gun both the walther and the kahr are at least in my area 500 plus US dollars. The Bersa I walked out the door 348 US dollars. It is not the best round by far and I know its limitations, that is why I got the 15 rounder vs the 7 round version less power just means I put more rounds down range. Accompanied with good shot placement I do not feel undergunned in normal everyday life. You are correct in stating there are not many variations of loads for this round but knowing it limitations means that you do not need a lot of different loads. I think the KISS method works well here I use Speer ball to increase penetration and there are many European manufacturers such as wolf and bear that make them. I think Remmington and Corbon also has a line of .380 ammunition with Corbon being the absolute best if you can find any of it. Not one seller in my area carries Corbon products. I have not seen a box of Corbon ammunition since I lived in North Carolina. Somebody send me a box.

Pict
04-03-2009, 08:18 AM
I carried the Corbon +P load in my PPK/S. IIRC it sent a 95 grain hp out the barrel at 1050 fps. That's not bad for a gun that size, but consider that standard pressure 9mm will launch a 115 or 125 grain hp at 1150-1250 fps. Because of the locked breech of a 9mm pistol the +P loads have much more top end. The .380, by its blowback design is limited for creating hot loads. The Corbon is about the best out there but if a 9mm load was made with those numbers nobody would even look at it.

I don't say this to denigrate the .380 or the Bersa Thunder. The .380 became popular because you can make a fairly compact gun to fire it. It also hangs on today because pretty much all of South America limits civilians to shooting it so there are guns like the 15 shot Thunder that are chambered for it. Glock makes the 25, a blowback .380 built on the 19 frame but they don't even offer it for sale in the US. It was made for civilian use in countries that limit citizens to the .380, like Brazil.

My only point is that from a power standpoint there is no reason to go with a .380 to get a compact auto. If you get a good deal on the Thunder and want to go for it you will have a good shooting, economic, high capacity .380. I wouldn't want to get shot with one. Mac

CZ-82 (http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Czech_CZ-82_9x18_Pistol.html) If you're really serious about this type of firearm one economical choice would be the CZ-82 chambered in 9mm Makarov. The 9mm Mak standard pressure is about the same as the +P .380 loads and the guns are cheap as dirt right now.

From a website - "The standard Russian round (9mm Makarov) is the 57-N-181S which uses a 95gr bullet at around 1,033fps."

That compares very favorably with the +P Corbon.

SARKY
04-03-2009, 09:55 PM
Is it the CZ 82 or 83 that has the 12 round capacity? And if you don't like 9mm Makarov you can always rebarrel to .380 or possibly .32NAA

glockcop
07-03-2009, 01:48 AM
i'm Looking At Getting My Ccw This Summer, And Was Wondering What This Forum's Members Thought Of The Bersa Thunder .380. I've Read Some Reviews Online But Was Wondering What You Guys Thought About It.

One Of The Best Of The Cheap Guns. Makarov = Better. Both More Accurate Than You And I. Go Ahead And Get One Before You Cant Buy Guns Anymore. Half He Price Of Glock Because Its Not A Glock In Form Or Function. Ya Gets What Ya Pay For!

cluznar
04-08-2012, 11:35 AM
I have a Bersa Thunder .380 and feel very confident it will handle any trouble I have. I keep Corbon Pwrball 70 gr in it for carry..... I also have a Ruger SR9c 9mm for carry, if you want an excellent 9mm to carry take a serious look at the SR9c, it is accurate, dependable, and a good size for carry. .380 or 9mm -- both can protect you well.

kyratshooter
04-08-2012, 05:53 PM
OMG!!!

The old 9mm/45acp argument is morphing into 9mm/.380!!

Did the development of the .40 S&W do that? The best of both worlds thing, so now we have to take the next step down to fight over something.

Who wants to fight? You pick a side and I'll take the other! I don't care which cause I'm always right anyhow.

hunter63
04-08-2012, 06:40 PM

Kinda makes ya wonder what Rockgod ended up with......Should have come to some desision since 2009.......That why I always listened to Paul Harvey...so I could get 'The rest of the story"....

Kinda like the Walther PPK in .380.....makes me feel like James Bond......

Moby
04-08-2012, 06:43 PM
I don't recommend a .380. Remember WHY your getting your CCW.
Because you want to defend yourself should the worst happen.
The argument that a .380 round in the forehead bla bla bla
In a OMG situation your going to be scared crap-less. you'll be lucky if you hit your target once.
Unless you train often (and that's exactly what you should do) you'll miss.
I recommend two things. A bigger round, and a weapon you can go to the range often with.
IF YOUR GOING TO CARRY you don't want to have stray rounds hitting an innocent.
Carrying is a big responsibly. Here in Texas if you hit a by stander you have zero protection under the law and
almost assuredly will be prosecuted and then sued.
You must train a lot, and hit your target. once is best.

2dumb2kwit
04-08-2012, 07:12 PM
Heck....this only weighs 28 ounces.

http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=204&category=Revolver

Rick
04-08-2012, 08:40 PM
Yes, but I don't think it's a good tradeoff to drop my assailant and have my hands ripped off. I'm going with the .22. It's all about shot placement anyway. If it's good enough for deer then .....

hunter63
04-08-2012, 08:55 PM
Yes, but I don't thing it's a good tradeoff to drop my assailant and have my hands ripped off. I'm going with the .22. It's all about shot placement anyway. If it's good enough for deer then .....

.....I believe that was , anything on the planet.....just don't use a 30-30, hasn't killer anything since Al Gore invented the interweb......

Rick
04-08-2012, 08:57 PM
Thank you. I couldn't remember the latter part of that. I've written it down. Perhaps when Al gets done with his tweeks on the net and global warming he could stop by and let us know what IS the perfect weapon and the perfect knife.

Wildthang
04-09-2012, 07:42 AM
Bersa's are good guns for the money. They are as dependable as you can get and the price is good too. I bought a used CZ in .380 caliber and it is a great little gun. I gave $350 for it and it had never had over a box of ammo fired through it.
I throw it in the truck or car when we travel, and if I get pulled over and the cops take it, or it gets stolen, I havent lost a high dollar gun.
If I know I am going into a bad area, or dangerous situation, the only think I carry at that point is my Colt .357 Mag. When Mr Colt speaks, everybody listens!

Rick
04-09-2012, 08:25 AM
Isn't any situation requiring the use of a lethal response a bad area or dangerous situation? I understand carrying a different weapon in your vehicle if you choose but my personal carry is what I plan to use regardless of where I am. And I don't plan on going into bad areas or dangerous situations. So far that's worked for me. Except marriage but that was when I was too young to understand the world's dangers.

kyratshooter
04-09-2012, 10:15 AM
. And I don't plan on going into bad areas or dangerous situations. So far that's worked for me. Except marriage but that was when I was too young to understand the world's dangers.

My worry is the times I wind up in a problem situation that was not PLANNED and the occasional time when one is forced to confront possible danger.

The hospitals in Cincinnati are smack dab in the middle of the geto! You have to dodge whores, drug dealers and junkie beggers (they have registered beggers there). If one goes to a Reds or Bengals game they must run the gauntlet for almost a mile from parking to the gate. In both cases we are talking some serious danger, robberies and/or rapes are common, as in DAILY occurance. One can choose not to go to a sporting event, but many times one can not choose to avoid the hospital.

And there is the WalMart parking lot, statistically more dangerous than deployment to Afganistan.

Most of us do not live in the bowl of cherries Central Indiannia seems to be.

Wildthang
04-09-2012, 10:19 AM
Isn't any situation requiring the use of a lethal response a bad area or dangerous situation? I understand carrying a different weapon in your vehicle if you choose but my personal carry is what I plan to use regardless of where I am. And I don't plan on going into bad areas or dangerous situations. So far that's worked for me. Except marriage but that was when I was too young to understand the world's dangers.

Well to me, just going to the mall, grocery store, or normal erends, I just leave the .380 in the truck. Now if I'm going to Chicago, St Louis, Dallas, or somewhere with a high crime rate, I take my .357.
I carry the .380 most of the time because it's a cheap gun, and I don't have to worry about losing it, kind of like a disposable gun! And I really don't feel all that undergunned with the .380 because I shoot it a lot.
The bottom line to me is, any gun is far better than no gun!

kyratshooter
04-09-2012, 11:06 AM
Me again, I had to get coffee.

I view there being three types of .380 pistols on the market.

1. cheap guns, some good some bad

2. .380 designs of the old school, PPK, Bersa, Baretta, all good sized and heavy.

3. The modern crop of Polymer frame ultracompact, ultralight pocket pistols.

My EDC is of type three. I trade 5 shots from my snubbie 38 revolvers for 7 shots of .380 in a package that will always be in my pocket. For me EDC is never in a holster. If I have to wear a holster the .45 is going to be in it.

Type two is too heavy and too large to presently justify its purchase. Why carry a Bersa thunder .380 when every manufacturer makes a full 9mm that is just as small? Why choose a Thunder/Walther/Baretta when a P11 or LC9 costs the same, has more power and weighs less?

Type one lives in the car as a backup. Although it is always loaded and has an extra mag, I have often viewed it as the ammo carrier for the EDC and not what I would go for first. It is there because it is ammo compatable with the EDC. Its real purpose is to arm a passenger in case I must leave the vehicle or potential problems manifest. My type 1 guns are always tested and reliable. They are also heavy and I am not going to carry them.

That is just my own philosophy and others are allowed to have theirs. They can be wrong if they want too.

natertot
04-09-2012, 12:04 PM
I work at a hospital in Cincinnati and you are spot on with that description! Although it has gotten better over the past few years. Either that or I'm getting too comfortable in my environment!

My worry is the times I wind up in a problem situation that was not PLANNED and the occasional time when one is forced to confront possible danger.

The hospitals in Cincinnati are smack dab in the middle of the geto! You have to dodge whores, drug dealers and junkie beggers (they have registered beggers there). If one goes to a Reds or Bengals game they must run the gauntlet for almost a mile from parking to the gate. In both cases we are talking some serious danger, robberies and/or rapes are common, as in DAILY occurance. One can choose not to go to a sporting event, but many times one can not choose to avoid the hospital.

And there is the WalMart parking lot, statistically more dangerous than deployment to Afganistan.

Most of us do not live in the bowl of cherries Central Indiannia seems to be.

Wildthang
04-09-2012, 01:02 PM
Wow, Cinci must be bad, sounds like Detroit!

Rick
04-09-2012, 04:16 PM
Central Indiana is no bowl of cherries, believe me. We can't get them to grow that well here. Pink fluffy bunnies is probably closer. Still not Australian chicks with guns but we're working on it.

rickyp8888
04-29-2012, 08:34 AM
I own a Bersa .380 CC great gun

Wildthang
04-30-2012, 05:41 AM
My Bersa .308 has a problem, you can't hang on to it after it fires:scared

RealPreppersWearPurple
04-30-2012, 08:24 PM
I really like the Ruger LCP. I'm probably gonna get one soon
Anyone have one?
Like em, love em, hate em?

glockcop
05-01-2012, 03:09 PM
The Bersa is a nice lil gun for the money but as a rule of thumb, you should carry the biggest caliber you can control well in a given platform. If the .380 is all you can handle, well so be it. It has been my observation over the years that most people can handle a 9mm pretty well. The blow back operated .380's recoil just as much as a more powerful lock breached 9mm. So in paying a little more for a lock breached 9mm, you get about the same size/weight with a more powerful round that recoils the same as the smaller bullet. Win, Win situtation. I recommend Kahr MK9. I have carried one for years EVERYWHERE when off duty . It is pricey but it's as durable as a ball peen hammer. Good luck with your search.