PDA

View Full Version : Want to Store Food in Your Vehicle?

Rick
03-12-2009, 03:26 PM
No problem! Go right ahead......I guess.

http://www.alpharubicon.com/bovstuff/dispellcarfoodmyth.htm

crashdive123
03-12-2009, 05:11 PM
Interesting stuff. Thanks.

Alpine_Sapper
03-12-2009, 07:31 PM
agreed. anyone up for a test with some home dehydrated meals? :clover:

Ken
03-12-2009, 07:33 PM
agreed. anyone up for a test with some home dehydrated meals? :clover:

You want me to pull out the Mountain House that's been my trunk for about 3 years? It's Beef Stroganoff, I think.

crashdive123
03-12-2009, 07:39 PM
3 years? That's still young. AS - you sending out samples?

vthompson
03-12-2009, 10:45 PM
Thank's for the post Rick, a lot of good information there.

Beans
03-13-2009, 06:05 AM
Has he made any other post concerning old food since 12/06???????? :dead:

Rick
03-13-2009, 07:12 AM
That was the only one I saw. The good news (although very unscientific) is it does challenge conventional wisdom. It might be worth trying something similar yourself (myself?) just to see what the results are. The ability to store food sources long term in a vehicle is an obvious advantage particularly if you live in a remote area when being stranded for any length of time is a possibility.

What I didn't see in the post were the affects of freezing on those items. Since he lives in the South I doubt the food was subjected to frequent freeze/thaw cycles that would likely be seen in more northern climates.

Alpine_Sapper
03-13-2009, 08:49 AM
I believe the guy said he was here in Texas. Probably only dropped below freezing a handful of times this winter, and the stuff that I had in my bag for winter was wrapped/insulated as best I could to conserve space. Never had anything freeze. Now, outside of Texas and similar climates, I'd be really leary about canned goods for that very reason. I prefer dehydrated anyway. Less weight and space.

endurance
03-14-2009, 12:12 AM
I store two kinds of food in my car; regular consumables and MREs. Frankly, I understand where the myth comes from because despite the mylar wrappings on clif bars and rice crispy treats, three months in the car and they're pretty damn unpalatable. The rice crispy treats dry out and the clif bars get down right hard enough to nail into oak with.

On the other hand, I try to rotate my MREs once a year, usually in the fall and I'll eat them over the next week or two. No problemo. They taste just as nasty as when Uncle Sam contracted them.

The thing that I have a hard time storing in my car during the winter is water. Sure, you can crack open a water bottle and squeeze out enough air and water to allow for expansion to prevent bursting when they freeze, but it's still a giant ice cube when you need it.

crashdive123
03-14-2009, 12:26 AM
When I lived in colder climates I kept bottles of water inside a cooler in winter to keep them from freezing.

Beans
03-14-2009, 10:24 AM
The thing that I have a hard time storing in my car during the winter is water. Sure, you can crack open a water bottle and squeeze out enough air and water to allow for expansion to prevent bursting when they freeze, but it's still a giant ice cube when you need it.

Depending upon the container the water is in, you can put it in the engine compartment and the heat will go a long way toward reducing the "ice cube" into drinkable water.

You can also heat your food this way. Be sure to vent any unopened cans to keep your food from redecorating the under side of your vehicle hood.

The residual heat from a recently used engine will usually be enough.

Ken
03-14-2009, 11:09 AM
I'm gonna' get that Mountain House Beef Stroganoff out of my trunk and call it "Lunch." Been there about three years. I'll report my findings later on.

crashdive123
03-14-2009, 12:53 PM
I'm gonna' get that Mountain House Beef Stroganoff out of my trunk and call it "Lunch." Been there about three years. I'll report my findings later on.

If you're feeling a little bloated and uneasy after lunch, how will you know if it's from the stroganoff or the pillow sized pastry?

Ken
03-14-2009, 01:09 PM
If you're feeling a little bloated and uneasy after lunch, how will you know if it's from the stroganoff or the pillow sized pastry?

The pastry was two hours ago. Ancient history with my metabolism. :munchies: I'm going to try the Mountain House in about a half hour.

crashdive123
03-14-2009, 01:29 PM
It should be fine. I've eaten some really old freeze dried/dehydrated stuff - never noticed a difference.

Ken
03-14-2009, 01:43 PM
Okay, I didn't wait the full half hour. I just ate the Mountain House Beef Stroganoff that's been sitting in the trunk of my car for the past 4 years (I thought it had been 3 years, but I had written 05/05 on the package with a marker.)

Nothing remarkable to report. I rehydrated the contents per the instructions and chowed down. There was no noticable difference in either taste or texture as compared to packages I have eaten within days of purchase.

Of course, there was no comparison the the Stroganoff I make :no: Thin sliced fillet mignon, parpadelle pasta, shallots, porcine and crimini mushrooms, fresh sour cream OR yogurt, dijon mustard, butter, a splash of Courvoissier (with a snifter on the side when cooking).........

Why am I getting hungry again so soon?

Rick
03-14-2009, 05:11 PM
Yeah? That sounds pretty good. How do YOU make it?

Ken
03-14-2009, 05:17 PM
Yeah? That sounds pretty good. How do YOU make it?

That's MY recipe. Just don't try making it at home. You may hurt yourself.

Rick
03-14-2009, 05:18 PM
Oh. I thought that was the Mountain House menu. Did you eat it in the trunk of your car?

Ken
03-14-2009, 05:21 PM
Oh. I thought that was the Mountain House menu. Did you eat it in the trunk of your car?

Nope. I prefer to sit on the roof of the car when I eat. The chair scratches the paint a bit, but there's nothing quite like dining alfresco.