PDA

View Full Version : A Good Read on Buggin In

Rick
03-12-2009, 09:10 AM
I'm a bug in kind of guy. I know there are scenarios that would force me to leave and I've tried to prepare for those but, all in all, I'll be staying right here as long as I can. The link below is a pretty decent read for anyone that is of the same mindset or simply doesn't have any other choice for whatever reason.

http://gallimaufree.wordpress.com/2009/03/02/bugging-in/

Ken
03-12-2009, 09:18 AM
What it all comes down to is:

1. Where you live.
2. What the threat scenario is - what the immediate/long term risk is to you.
3. What you have on hand to deal with the threat.
4. Whether or not you have the ABILITY to leave. Consider other family members here.
5. Whether or not you have a choice to stay or go. (Forced evacuation.)
6. Where you would go. (Sometimes the best answer is "anywhere but here" - other times it may not make a difference, in which case you bug in.)

Did I miss something here?

RunsWithDeer
03-12-2009, 09:30 AM
Good article, I am definitely a bugging inner. We have 80 acres, two wells (one manual), a good size pond with lots of bass and panfish, enough trees for sustaining use of firewood, large garden, and we raise our own livestock. My biggest concern is the two legged predators that will be out in a true survival situation, which may force us to our northern Michigan cottage, which is also well stocked, provided we can get there.

Rick
03-12-2009, 09:31 AM
That's a pretty good list. When folks say they intend to bug out they sometimes fail to consider that an event will occur:

1. When family members are separated (at work, school, on the road, etc.)
2. Travel may be next to impossible (Think Houston during Katrina)
3. When you are in no position to bug out (in hospital, at airport, etc.)
4. Family members are too fearful to leave (It's one thing to talk about in your living room but something else when it happens)

And you might find the place you are bugging out to is now "owned" by someone else or some group.

Bugging in, even for a few days, might be the better option even if you are a bug out kind of guy/gal.

Dennis K.
03-12-2009, 12:03 PM
A nice blog, Rick. Some good stuff there. Some stuff that will help me, some stuff that is extraneous.
Looks like the guy actually does (or, at least, has done) what he posts.

crashdive123
03-12-2009, 12:32 PM
Excellent stuff.

Rockgod1619
03-12-2009, 12:41 PM
Nice find there Rick! I know I'd me more apt to bug in than out, supposing I had the necessary resources available at my location.

Alpine_Sapper
03-12-2009, 12:51 PM
Definitely food for thought. thanks.

bulrush
03-12-2009, 02:15 PM
There is a high potential that at least a few of my neighbors will be the looting type, so I may consider bugging out.

Rick
03-12-2009, 02:32 PM
Actually, I probably am too. If everyone gets out of Dodge and things are really super bad then I have all these houses that offer all kinds of stuff. I doubt those that are going to bug out are going to take all their weapons and thousands of rounds of ammo. I'm sure to find tools, medications, ammunition, and all manner of stuff that has been abandoned. I'll probably even have my pick of vehicles. Sheeesh. I feel like Charlton Heston in the Omega Man already.

SARKY
03-14-2009, 01:55 PM
After having read the article, he has a lot of good points, but he also has too many holes in his argument.
1: How many of you know and I mean really know your neighbors?
2: If you live in an urban/suburban enviroment how easy would it be (provided you had the cooperation of your neighbors) to fortify your neighborhood?
3: Fortifying: most handgun rouns will easily pass through the outer wall of a wood/stucco/siding home, a highpowered rifle round will go through it like a hot knife through butter.
4: You will find that most people who live in an urban/suburban enviroment simply can't be bothered with preperations and fully expect the govt. to come to their rescue.
5: If you approach these people with your prep ideas they will either think you're a nut job or decide if the SHTF they will just invite themselves over and mooch off of you or decide to attempt to take what you have in supplies.
Yes it's an ugly world out there, but we made it that way.
Do i plan to bug in or bug out?.... depends on the situation. I'm ready for both contingentcies. If I must bug out do I have somewhere to go besides away from here? several depending on situation. Most of the people I would group up with are about 30 -40 miles south of me. the rest are within 7 miles of me. My place is large enough to house 15 or 20 close friends though the bathrooms might be taxed to their limit. We have a large garden that we could grow food. and there is game available about 3 miles to the east. Also east is the direction I would probably head initally if I had to bug out.
The biggest problem with buggin out of the bay (SF) area is that there are so few ways out via auto. so that would be a large problem.

Amazon
03-14-2009, 04:35 PM
I know my neighbors pretty well and there are some unsavory characters about.
A shelter in place or bugging in scenario is in my plans and prepared for. Thanks to many of the great post I've read here and the weekend drills at our refuge, I've learned just how labor intensive a bug out scenario is. However our current residence needs to be reinforced to sustain us in a bugging in situation. We replaced all our exterior doors, (eliminated one altogether) with steel frames and doors. We also reduced the number of windows and replaced them with new windows. Our home is a wooden stucture but we are leaning toward building a facade of concrete blocks with re-bar. We have surivial supplies here as well as my other places. I must say I would hope to be living in our refuge full time when SHTF. thanks for the posts.

endurance
03-14-2009, 04:36 PM
Sarky, what's worse is did you catch his location? DC! Yikes. Of all the cities I could think of that I wouldn't want to even try to bug in in, that would probably top my list. True, getting out would be a nightmare, but staying there would be it's own hell.

On that note, I was in DC on 9/11 and it was surreal. All non-essential government employees were released at the same time and the streets around our hotel were gridlock for a solid two hours. Cars were stopped in the intersection because too many people were trying to get through a light and it repeated itself for as far as the eye could see. They also shut down numerous Metro lines, so if you took the subway into work, good luck getting home. Better hope there's no imminent threat lurking that makes it a matter of life or death that you get out in a hurry.

As mentioned in another thread, seems like a Tom-Tom or other vehicle sat nav with maps of every road in the city, county, state, and country would be an invaluable bug out tool if you had to leave. As you discover one route impassible, start looking for the next alternative without ever stopping or trying to find the right map (every state map I've ever owned lacks sufficient details to get you through even the smallest towns, no less the biggest cities).

While I'm focused on bug in, I'm prepared for bug out, including adequate cash and my passport to get the next flight out of Denver to whatever location gives me the best chance of survival. If Yellowstone erupts today, I'll be in South America in 24 hours.

Rick
03-14-2009, 04:48 PM
Endurance - You've just supported why buggin' in in DC would not only be doable but preferable. In the face of one of the worse SHTF situations the country has faced, there were no roaming hordes attempting to do you harm. Only folks just like yourself trying to get home (or some similar place). I really don't get why folks think there are going to be bands of people killers hell bent on whatever. Even New Orleans was a scene of folks trying to help each other, medical facilities trying to carry on and neighbors helping neighbors albeit on roof tops. Only in isolated places did gangs have a foot hold. Unfortunately, the Dome was one of them.

There are places in any city I won't go today. I won't go there after an event either.

endurance
03-14-2009, 08:45 PM
Fair enough, Rick, but I guess I can't think of a reason I'd want to live in DC. Obviously some folks have work that demands it, but it certainly wouldn't by my choice city.

I think the risk of terrorist attacks and it's likelihood of being a first strike target would make me want a way to escape.

Rick
03-14-2009, 10:14 PM
I am in complete agreement. I was located out of Silver Springs just on the northside of the beltway for several years. Great monuments. I nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there.