PDA

View Full Version : blowguns/hunting

woodsey
09-19-2007, 10:59 AM
I:ve Thought About It But Never Tried It , Hunting With A Blowgun,i Put The Plan Together Last Night Went To The Woods This Morning. After Chasing Squirrels For About Three Hours I Finaly Got One Then Two. As Long As I Been Practicing Survival I Think This Is The Most Fun Ive Had In A Long Time , Give It A Try If You Get Chance. Woodsey..........:d

survivalhike
09-19-2007, 03:28 PM
That sounds like fun. There have been native cultures for hundreds if not thousands of years hunting for animals that way. Also, I have seen some higher end blow guns that look like they have some serious power and range to them.

owl_girl
09-19-2007, 03:50 PM
Blowguns are fun. I’ve practiced with them a little bit but never hunted with them though I thought about it.

U.S.Marine2111
09-19-2007, 04:36 PM
Why are you shooting at squirrels? I think you could get just as much practice shooting at a stationary target, are with a minimal amount of ingenuity you could rig up a moving target. I don't see the point to killing animals if you're not going to eat them. Not only that, you might just severly injure one, yep, a Marine with a soft spot for animals.

owl_girl
09-19-2007, 04:46 PM
Are you gona eat the Squirrels woodey? If not then I agree with U.S.Marine2111 on that one.

Sarge47
09-19-2007, 04:59 PM
Yuummm! Squirrel stew! MMMMM! Also save the tails for tying flies!:cool: BTW, Ron Hood, I believe it is, shows how to make a blowgun out of 1/2 " PVC pipe.

survivalhike
09-19-2007, 05:00 PM
I'm not a big fan of killing animals either unless the situation dictates it. I'm not above eating fresh caught fish, but I am comfortable with that little slice of hypocracy. I hope you did eat them at least after you bagged them, though not personally in love with hunting I do respect other's rights to do so as long as they are using what they hunt and not just shooting at things.

owl_girl
09-19-2007, 05:23 PM
I’ve never hunted because though I’m zealous fore the hunting part I feel so bad about the killing part, once I look into those beady little eyes I cant pull the trigger. So I take pictures of wildlife instead.
But I think hunting is more kind then buying meet from the store because the animals at the store are often kept in pore conditions and they don’t have a chance. Where as when you hunt the animal has a fair chance.

woodsey
09-19-2007, 05:28 PM
yes i do eat them ,i eat every thing i kill,or gather,as for easy target go try it. these are not city squirrels soldier boy. woodsey....................

owl_girl
09-19-2007, 05:31 PM
I’ve never eaten Squirrel before. But if I get the chance to try them I will. What do they taste like?

woodsey
09-19-2007, 05:47 PM
like the dark meat of a chicken,just a little tougher. i practice survival so i dont depend on markets,chow lines ,or charity . ive spent 1 to 2 months at a time in the woods living off the land and it feels great knowing that can do it .... some like to just talk about it i love doin it, most people in a survival situation would die under most circumstances,nowing this practice gives me independence and confidence.

owl_girl
09-19-2007, 06:21 PM
That’s why I am learning wilderness survival, to gain independence and confidence when I’m in the wilderness. There was a thread about that.

FVR
09-19-2007, 06:45 PM
Yeh, so there Soldier Boy! LOL!

woodsey
09-19-2007, 06:45 PM
it was a little tough learning to eat some things when i started practicing survival about 16 years ago, thats one thing a person has to prepare for is edibility, storys have said that some folks starved to death because they would not eat bugs,rodents,birds,ect. but know this when a person is hungry enough you got to get past the cute fuzzy wuzzy bunny thing , and the only way to do that is practice camping without taking a bunch of prepacked stuff with you. i dont want to sound like a heartless person,when it comes to nature i have nothing but respect... nature can give us what we need to survive if we learn how to do it. woodsey...................

owl_girl
09-19-2007, 07:01 PM
I am soft hearted but not to the point where I’d let my self starve. I’m not a vegetarian and if I was hungry I would get past cute fuzzy wuzzy bunny thing. I’ve thought about hunting and if I was in a situation where I had to hunt I would. And yes I could eat a bug if I had to.

woodsey
09-19-2007, 07:20 PM
i hope i didnt offend you owl, that was not my intentions,surviving in the wild is hard until you learn how to . then it is fun knowing you can do it without modern conveinience. woodsey.............

owl_girl
09-19-2007, 08:33 PM
i hope i didnt offend you owl, that was not my intentions,surviving in the wild is hard until you learn how to . then it is fun knowing you can do it without modern conveinience. woodsey.............
Don’t worry I wasn’t offend. I know what you’re saying.

corndog-44
09-20-2007, 12:37 AM
woodsey, sounds like you have the natural gift for the blowgun.

U.S.Marine2111
09-20-2007, 11:15 AM
yes i do eat them ,i eat every thing i kill,or gather,as for easy target go try it. these are not city squirrels soldier boy. woodsey....................

Who the $%^& are you calling Soldier boy?

U.S.Marine2111
09-20-2007, 11:18 AM
Lets clarify this, in the United States Armed Forces a "Soldier" is someone who is in the Army, I'm a Marine, there is a difference. It is also best not to add "boy" either.

Sarge47
09-20-2007, 12:00 PM
Lets clarify this, in the United States Armed Forces a "Soldier" is someone who is in the Army, I'm a Marine, there is a difference. It is also best not to add "boy" either.

(R. Lee Ermy's Drill Sgt.'s voice) :mad: "You can call him "Jar-head", you can call him "devil-dog", you can call him a "Fire-pis#ing, butt-kicker". But you never call one of the U.S.M.C.'s finest a "soldier-boy"! Otherwise he might unscrew your head from your neck and use your neck as a latrine! Now drop and give me 50!" Will that do Marine 2111?:rolleyes:

U.S.Marine2111
09-20-2007, 04:18 PM
(R. Lee Ermy's Drill Sgt.'s voice) :mad: "You can call him "Jar-head", you can call him "devil-dog", you can call him a "Fire-pis#ing, butt-kicker". But you never call one of the U.S.M.C.'s finest a "soldier-boy"! Otherwise he might unscrew your head from your neck and use your neck as a latrine! Now drop and give me 50!" Will that do Marine 2111?:rolleyes:

That about sums it up, thanks Sergeant.

FVR
09-20-2007, 05:02 PM
LOL!

My 5yr old son was walking out of pre K with his mom this afternoon and walking in the door was a USMC recruiter. My son looked at my wife and said "mommy, that's a Marine" and she responded, "yes son and your daddy has his blues in the closet."

Some things just make your day.

Rob
10-03-2007, 04:07 PM
I just finished making a blow gun for hunting. I got the idea from www.blowgunhunter.com. I am amazed at the accuracy and power of it. I am using xacto blades as broadheads. Any other ideas out there for broadheads? I will be huntig and hopefully eatting squirels with it. It only costs $10 to make one. I am suprised more people dont use them.

wareagle69
10-03-2007, 04:18 PM
i am a soldier btw they called me ranger not boy....

trax
10-03-2007, 06:21 PM
woodsey

aren't you glad you didn't offend owl_girl? since you seemed to manage to p### off about half the guys in here. Smooth blowgun boy, smooth. :D:D

spartan
10-05-2007, 12:59 AM
Ahhhh!! You're still a soldier...call it what you will...you can make whatever difference you want of it...still a soldier...as we all were

flandersander
01-16-2008, 10:21 PM
What about fishing with a blowgun? here is a good site on blowgun fishing.

http://www.geocities.com/blowgunhunter/index.html this is a better site on making the darts http://www.geocities.com/maddd_doggg/blowgun/darts.htm Just ignore the part about the jigs and Washers and such.

Beo
08-19-2008, 07:43 AM
I know this is old but I don't care:p
Spartan,
Bro, I gotta disagree. After doing 8 years in the Army as a soldier of the 101st Airborne and an LRSD scout I trained with many Marines and we called them Marines, when you needed to call someone from the Army you said: Come here Soldier.
And when you called someone from the Marines you said: Come here Marine... there is a difference to the Soldiers and Marines serving past and present and its what they wish ans so it should be respected.
Unlike the reputation of the movies we got along real good without fighting, sure we ragged on each other but it was all in fun. There was a deep respect that each gave each other and that respect went with calling each other Soldier or Marine.

crashdive123
08-19-2008, 08:21 AM
I know this is old but I don't care:p
Spartan,
Bro, I gotta disagree. After doing 8 years in the Army as a soldier of the 101st Airborne and an LRSD scout I trained with many Marines and we called them Marines, when you needed to call someone from the Army you said: Come here Soldier.
And when you called someone from the Marines you said: Come here Marine... there is a difference to the Soldiers and Marines serving past and present and its what they wish ans so it should be respected.
Unlike the reputation of the movies we got along real good without fighting, sure we ragged on each other but it was all in fun. There was a deep respect that each gave each other and that respect went with calling each other Soldier or Marine.

Let's not forget - if you wanted to call somebody in the Navy, you had to go to the chow hall. If you wanted to call somebody in the Air Force you had to wake them up first.:D:D:D

trax
08-19-2008, 10:47 AM
I'm surprised this still comes up. You want to talk survival skills? If someone's just spent the last several years of his life being trained to kill people and/or killing people at his government's behest, you call that person what that person wants to be called! If it's Marine, it's Marine---if it's soldier, it's soldier, and I don't think it's ever "boy" Duuhhh... that there's what you call your common sense survival skill.

Rick
08-19-2008, 11:15 AM
And God bless them little pygmies.

Cleankill47
08-20-2008, 04:17 AM
Hey, U.S. Marine, I was a 2111 as well. With Second Amphibious Assault BN, Camp Lejeune. Who were you with, if I may ask?