PDA

View Full Version : Trapping Rodents

smoke
03-11-2009, 05:09 AM
Does anybody have experience trapping pack rats and like critters and are they safe for survival food? Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks

crashdive123
03-11-2009, 07:46 AM
I've got a bit of experience trapping rats. Rat traps work just fine. A BB Gun would be fine to dispatch them. As far as eating them - in many parts of the world that is already done. I personally would stay away from "urban" rats, as their diet and habitat lend themselves to the rats becoming disease vectors. Rats in the wilds though? Sure, why not?

Rick
03-11-2009, 10:25 AM
I would think medicinal moonshine. Coot would no doubt fall for it and from what I hear he's a bit of a packrat. He's probably a bit too chewy to survive on, though.

Stairman
03-11-2009, 04:11 PM
Hantavirus comes to mind when discussing rats as food.If you want to killem and have no traps you can mix 1 part portland cement to 4 parts flour.Set it next to a dish of water.

crashdive123
03-11-2009, 04:18 PM
Hantavirus is extremely dangerous. It is usually spread through rodent urine or droppings. Once they have dried, particles can easily become airborne. At a minimum use a dust mask (respirator being the preferance) when cleaning up after them.

Rick
03-11-2009, 04:19 PM
Are you wanting to kill them or build a statue of them?:clap:

crashdive123
03-11-2009, 04:25 PM
I get oen or two rat jobs a week. Last month I had one in an abandoned building. The droppings were about 2 inches deep, completely covering the floor of this 1000 sq ft building. That one may have deserved a statue. Killed over 60 rats in that one.

Rick
03-11-2009, 04:31 PM
Can you say arson? I knew you could.

SARKY
03-11-2009, 07:33 PM
Hantavirus comes to mind when discussing rats as food.If you want to killem and have no traps you can mix 1 part portland cement to 4 parts flour.Set it next to a dish of water.

Doesn't that just make them heavy and hard???:innocent:

Stairman
03-11-2009, 08:04 PM
Yep,and permanently constipated.

Rick
03-11-2009, 08:10 PM
To get your thread back on track, Smoke. Is this the critter you're asking about?

http://sbsc.wr.usgs.gov/cprs/research/projects/global_change/images/neotoma.gif

smoke
03-13-2009, 05:39 AM
yep thats what I want to know about. I know it is small but at times a meal is a meal if you know what I mean.

wildography
03-14-2009, 12:58 PM
I grew up (age 15-to almost 19)in a Boys' Home on the outskirts of Beaumont, TX. Being out in the country, it had a few horses, cattle, sheep, pigs... and a big ol' barn. The mice/rats were so bad, the staff let me take my pellet rifle out there... I'd set up a few dishes of grain scattered around different places and then hide in a slightly elevated dark corner... killed dozens that way. Never did eat any... but that was how I became a really good shot... I almost always aimed for the eye... unless I couldn't get a clear shot... then would go for the heart.

I could... and did... use rat/mice traps, but it was more "fun" to shoot them...

for survival purposes... that would be a good choice... and good practice... you could also use the mice/rats as bait on trotlines, catfishing, etc. I saw Bear Grylls, or Les Stroud, (forget which one) just throw the whole mouse on the coals and then eat them that way... personally, I think that I'd rather gut them, singe the hair off, and roast them... I've seen what coyote poop looks like after eating mice/rats... lots of hair and some undigested bone material... no thanks!

Smok
03-15-2009, 03:37 AM
Look up .....Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmerman ...he's name may be mis spelled ....Also you may look up gene pig for recipes , as they are raised for food in Mex.. They are not bad when they are not to dry . Some like them deep fried and very dry , it's OK but ...just not for me .. Not too dry....As long as it is cooked [well dune] most food ....even rat will be OK .. The only one that is not killed by cooking that I know of is ..... Mad Cow

Ultimate Survivor
03-15-2009, 03:51 AM
I have Eaten Rat When I was In Africa, Straight off the bone Real Chewy Not Much Taste, And i Warn you all Now they absoulutely Stink to high Heaven when Gutting, i have killed and gutted lots of animals but these were real bad, Personally Fried Meal worms and Maggots are a Better Protein rich food for survival, and Urban Rats are A No No To many Chemicals.

smoke
03-15-2009, 07:50 AM
Thanks for the tips, Hey ultimate just curious are the chemicals in the urban rats from people trying to exterminate them?