PDA

View Full Version : locations u can actually survive in?

polishpunk
03-10-2009, 01:43 AM
i was wondering if anyone knows any good locations that u can go and survive in and it isnt illegal near chicago. when i say near i mean within an hour or two and u dont hav to pay or not pay much.

hoosierarcher
03-10-2009, 02:18 AM
Head due south or to the southwest. There is plenty of public land in Illnois in the southern and southwestern parts of the state. or you can move into Indiana an hour or so southeast of chicago and do the same thing. All these locations are near rivers and farm land.

crashdive123
03-10-2009, 07:28 AM
i was wondering if anyone knows any good locations that u can go and survive in and it isnt illegal near chicago. when i say near i mean within an hour or two and u dont hav to pay or not pay much.

Illegal to survive in Chicago? What about all those people? Wow I thought there were lot's of people living and surviving there.

Are you asking about camping? Homesteading? Getting away from it all? I don't know much about you (you never did an introduction in the Introduction Section (http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14). You did say in one of your posts that you were under 18...so what is it that you are asking?

Rick
03-10-2009, 08:01 AM
This will give you some information.

http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/Landmgt/PARKS/R2/region2.htm

And don't forget about Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore. It's provides a completely different environment and it's pretty close to Shy Town.

RichJ
03-10-2009, 10:36 AM
Illegal to survive in Chicago? What about all those people? Wow I thought there were lot's of people living and surviving there.

Are you asking about camping? Homesteading? Getting away from it all? I don't know much about you (you never did an introduction in the Introduction Section (http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14). You did say in one of your posts that you were under 18...so what is it that you are asking?

I think he means where can he go to get away from Chicago when SHTF; somewhere that's not private land he can get away to, and of course the situation would dictate the duration. I know Chicago is one of the last places I'd want to be near, much less in. If he's under 18, he's a lot smarter than most in his age group for even thinking ahead and making a plan. Good for him.

crashdive123
03-10-2009, 11:16 AM
I think he means where can he go to get away from Chicago when SHTF; somewhere that's not private land he can get away to, and of course the situation would dictate the duration. I know Chicago is one of the last places I'd want to be near, much less in. If he's under 18, he's a lot smarter than most in his age group for even thinking ahead and making a plan. Good for him.

Rich, my sarcasm aside, I'm not sure what he is looking for. To assume that it is a bug out location for a SHTF situation is possible, but then why look for a place where you don't have to pay too much. Land purchase? Camping fees? To offer an answer that will be helpful, a bit more clarification would be nice. No arguments about anybody, at any age making plans.

Rick
03-10-2009, 12:10 PM
Hmmm. I assumed he wanted to practice his skills. My bad if I was wrong.

RichJ
03-10-2009, 02:11 PM
Hmmm. I assumed he wanted to practice his skills. My bad if I was wrong.

he said where could he go to "survive." In a SHTF scenerio Chicago, LA, and New York would be the first three places i would not want to be. So an obvious answer would be anywhere but there; the further south for him the better. I would also think if things got bad enough to have to flee, cost would no longer be a factor. Do yourself a favor and go ahead and move now so you don't have to worry about it later. <sidenote> anyone remember Hurricaine Ike, I think, when everyone had to leave Houston in a hurry and all the Interstates were parking lots? No one could move and people were running out of gas on the road, and all the gas stations along the highways ran out of gas. I would pretty much plan on that in a Super Metro area like Chicago. Get yourself some County maps and take all the back roads and stay off the freeways.

RichJ
03-10-2009, 02:19 PM
Rich, my sarcasm aside, I'm not sure what he is looking for. To assume that it is a bug out location for a SHTF situation is possible, but then why look for a place where you don't have to pay too much. Land purchase? Camping fees? To offer an answer that will be helpful, a bit more clarification would be nice. No arguments about anybody, at any age making plans.

I have a bad habit of assuming smarty remarks sometimes. Sarcasm just doesn't translate to written word very well. I'll work on that.:innocent:

wildography
03-10-2009, 02:48 PM
good suggestions above... you can also do what I did, some, in Yosemite Valley... I would sleep in some out of the way areas where, technically, I wasn't supposed to. But I either did not have a fire or carefully controlled it (a Dakota pit is excellent for that).

And, since no one knew I was there, I couldn't get in trouble! LOL (yes, I know... but if you are very careful to not cause damage to the area, or hurt anyone/anything... its kinda OK)

wildography
03-10-2009, 02:57 PM
he said where could he go to "survive." In a SHTF scenerio Chicago, LA, and New York would be the first three places i would not want to be. So an obvious answer would be anywhere but there; the further south for him the better. I would also think if things got bad enough to have to flee, cost would no longer be a factor. Do yourself a favor and go ahead and move now so you don't have to worry about it later. <sidenote> anyone remember Hurricaine Ike, I think, when everyone had to leave Houston in a hurry and all the Interstates were parking lots? No one could move and people were running out of gas on the road, and all the gas stations along the highways ran out of gas. I would pretty much plan on that in a Super Metro area like Chicago. Get yourself some County maps and take all the back roads and stay off the freeways.

Good point, RichJ. I was living just north of Woodville, TX, 1 mile from the primary evacuation route for SouthEast Texas - when IKE came through. When the "masses" began to evacuate, it was like a swarm of locusts... they consumed everything in site and caused havoc. I've never seen the FOOD section of a Walmart empty before... the one in Woodville had about 90% of all their food gone. And the local gas stations ran out of gas two or 3 times... geez... made me want to never be a part of the unprepared again!

crashdive123
03-10-2009, 02:58 PM
I have a bad habit of assuming smarty remarks sometimes. Sarcasm just doesn't translate to written word very well. I'll work on that.:innocent:

No problems. One of the things you will find on the forum is that individuals often come onboard and use a term that means one thing to them, but something completely different to somebody else. Here's an example...

Survival: camping; hiking; getting through TEOTWAWKI; getting through a SHTF scenario; getting through the eighth grade........the list goes on and on.

Here's another....

Off-Grid: Well except for high speed internet; tired of high energy costs; at least 5 miles from the nearest neighbor; free and easy.....this list also goes on and on.

So sometimes with an attempt at humor (sometimes feeble, sometimes not) I try to glean enough information to figure out what is really being asked.

Stairman
03-10-2009, 02:59 PM
If I were 18 again Id join the army.Now that Im smarter Im too old and they dont want me.

crashdive123
03-10-2009, 03:01 PM
For all we know, he's only 10. I guess starting early to be all you can be is a good thing.

doug1980
03-10-2009, 03:07 PM
These days survival is much more than living, camping, or whatever in the woods. I am dealing with a survival situation that will soon be coming. My wife wants to get out of the Military and move back to Southern Indiana. We have comfort and security right now meaning a steady income, good benefits and always a roof over our heads. Moving back to IN is a huge risk because everyone there I know is either laid off or cut back on hours. We will be living a survival situation there every day not knowing if we will make enough to pay the monthly bills and keep food on the table. You are no doubt thinking why would you do that, why not just stay in the Military. Well happiness isn't about money, it's about how you want to live. Of course we want to live comfortably and not worry about whether or not we will have heat to keep us warm or food to keep us fed but the Military for us is not where we wanna be. So we will do whatever it takes to stay afloat and get through these hard times. If that ain't a survival situation I don't know what is.

Stairman
03-10-2009, 03:16 PM
Im sorta in that boat.Self employed and the housing buisness in Jax is pitiful.Never had a problem till now.All contacts are dead in the water.Living rural and out of debt helps but I gotta eat and pay the light bill.A large garden and more eatin critters are in my future for sure.I am enjoying the rest on my wore out hip and knees though.

crashdive123
03-10-2009, 03:17 PM
Doug - I don't know if the Air Force has it, or if the do, what it is called - but the Navy has what is called Transition Assistance Program (TAP) that helps folks that are leaving the service. Lot's of good info from your VA benefits to resume writing tips. I've participated in a few classes (first when I was retiring and later as a civilian employer). Changing careers during tough economic times can be difficult, but sometimes is the lesser of two difficulties.

Geronimo!
03-10-2009, 03:36 PM
Polishpunk,

I'm from Chicago as well. Surprisingly, there are a ton(!) of state parks in the area. Some close, some not so close. The three best (excluding Indiana dunes) in order of distance are:

3) Chain O Lakes State Park - (Travel time 1.5 hours) Chain-o-lakes state park is the closest. It's up on the border between Wisconsin and Illinois along the chain-o-lakes/fox river. Great fishing and plenty of camp sites.

1) Starved Rock State Park - (Travel time 2 hours) - Just head west down I-80. It's right before I-39 in Utica, IL. It has the Illinois river running through it for fishing + tons of hiking trails, and even a couple amazing lookouts onto the Illinois river. Used to be a great rockclimbing site, but the sandstone started to crumble so now it's just open to ice-climbing in the winter. While there's no backcountry camping permitted, you could spend a week there and not see the same place twice.

2) Mississippi Palisades - (Travel time 3 hours) - Located on the Mississippi river. Tons of trails, great lookout on the bluff, and AMAZING rock climbing. No backcountry, but still tons of camp sites.

For obvious reasons, the closer the site is to Chicago, the more you'll have to fight the crowds. Hope this helps.

RichJ
03-10-2009, 04:23 PM
Polishpunk,

No backcountry, but still tons of camp sites.

What do you mean No Backcountry. You mean during normal operating hours when designated campsites are used? When hell breaks loose it'll take more than a no camping sign and a Ranger to keep me out of the "backcountry." I can see it now...

Ranger: "Ah yes, excuse me sir but these areas are prohibited from overnight use."

Me: "Yes sir Mr. Ranger, but the Zombies are all over Chicago now and I need a place to hide my brain."

Ranger: "We have strict regulations that must be followed sir, even in times of crisis, you and your brain must move along."

Me: <pulls out 9mm> "Yo man, Shorty's about to get his bro, you'bess step aside yo, cuz you bout 'ta feel me bro."

endurance
03-10-2009, 08:52 PM
What do you mean No Backcountry. You mean during normal operating hours when designated campsites are used? When hell breaks loose it'll take more than a no camping sign and a Ranger to keep me out of the "backcountry." I can see it now...

Ranger: "Ah yes, excuse me sir but these areas are prohibited from overnight use."

Me: "Yes sir Mr. Ranger, but the Zombies are all over Chicago now and I need a place to hide my brain."

Ranger: "We have strict regulations that must be followed sir, even in times of crisis, you and your brain must move along."

Me: <pulls out 9mm> "Yo man, Shorty's about to get his bro, you'bess step aside yo, cuz you bout 'ta feel me bro."

Congrats! You've just found a way to receive free meals and a warm bed for the next five to ten years for threatening a forest officer.

Sorry, but any plans that involve telling any figure of authority to go screw themselves, no less, pull a gun on them isn't planning for survival, it's planning for jail.

Rick
03-10-2009, 08:53 PM
I think he was being facetious.

endurance
03-10-2009, 09:00 PM
I think he was being facetious.
gotcha. This whole sarcasm without being able to look into people's eyes thing can be a bit tricky at times.:blushing:

crashdive123
03-10-2009, 09:03 PM
Now that's funny (to me anyway) Rich said almost the same thing a few posts earlier in this thread. Don't worry guys - we'll bring ya around.

Rick
03-10-2009, 09:06 PM
Somehow I don't think Improv at the Forum is going to be a big hit.

polishpunk
03-10-2009, 09:16 PM
ok first of all im 16 i live in a town like a 45 min. away from chicago s it woodnt be terrible as if i lived in chicago and i want to go and practice my skills. all i hav around my house r a lot of trees and a forest preserve. the only time i actually get to practice my skills for real is wen i got o my friends summer house in wisconsin. 36 acres and i love it.

crashdive123
03-10-2009, 09:18 PM
ok first of all im 16 i live in a town like a 45 min. away from chicago s it woodnt be terrible as if i lived in chicago and i want to go and practice my skills. all i hav around my house r a lot of trees and a forest preserve. the only time i actually get to practice my skills for real is wen i got o my friends summer house in wisconsin. 36 acres and i love it.

So are you just looking for a place to practice? If so, what kind of things do you want to practice? Shelters? Fire starting? Making cordage? Let us know so that we can give you good answers that might help you.

polishpunk
03-10-2009, 09:24 PM
i wanna do it all but i already know how to make cordage so i cood care less about that.

crashdive123
03-10-2009, 09:28 PM
i wanna do it all but i already know how to make cordage so i cood care less about that.

OK - your call on what you want to practice. So if I'm understanding - you live outside the city next to a forest preserve. If so, figure out what is is that you do want to practice and then practice it in your back yard, or right next to your backyard in the forest preserve. If you have a specific question, ask it.

crashdive123
03-10-2009, 09:44 PM
RichJ - do you see what I mean now?

RichJ
03-10-2009, 10:31 PM
RichJ - do you see what I mean now?

Word up! .

RichJ
03-10-2009, 10:36 PM
Endurance: The point is that during an emergency the normal rules go out the window. And although I would not actually threaten someone, I wouldn't let some green shirt tell me I couldn't escape the zombies because I was in a restricted camping area.

endurance
03-10-2009, 10:50 PM
The difference in how we're approaching this is that you assume there will be a time where the rules will switch off like a light switch and I don't make that assumption. While I wouldn't see it as impossible that there could be a situation where all bets are off, I think most emergencies won't go that far. At what point during Katrina did you think the people in New Orleans were entitled to open fire on a cop that got in their way?

I'm not a zombie planning kind of guy. I never let my emergency planning jump outside the current legal structure. If you guess that all bets are off and in ten days things start to return to normal, are you willing to pay the price of your crimes? I think the worst thing I could imagine myself doing to survive is taking game out of season and that would have to be a matter of absolute necessity. I would never take a human life unless it was clearly in self-defense with an immediate and immenent threat of death of me or a family member.

Geronimo!
03-10-2009, 11:06 PM
Congrats! You've just found a way to receive free meals and a warm bed for the next five to ten years for threatening a forest officer.

Safe from the zombies though.

RichJ
03-10-2009, 11:13 PM
Endurance: I think you're way overreaching. Squatting on a restricted campsite is not a crime; a ticketed violation of policy yes, but your not going to go to jail. I would think during an emergency, some people in authority would use a little common sense. I'm sorry but in a dire circumstance I would not think twice about exceeding the speed limit or busting a u-turn in front of a cop (the zombies are coming you know!). Seriously, do you really think cops are going to ticket people for loitering or traspassing when they are trying to escape a tornado, or flood, or chemical cloud?

Sarge47
03-10-2009, 11:17 PM
...get real! "Night Of The Living Dead" was pure fiction that made George Romero a lot of cabbage, OK? Zombies! Sheesh! I'll believe in Bigfoot before
I believe in Zombies...of course, if you've ever driven the drunk route around 3am at the University I work at, some of the students staggering home & to their dorms do look like "Zombies". Hey! You don't think.....? AGGGHHHH!:drool:

RichJ
03-10-2009, 11:21 PM
At what point during Katrina did you think the people in New Orleans were entitled to open fire on a cop that got in their way?

How did you get that far anyway? What planet are you from? :alien:

PS: Always plan for zombies!

RichJ
03-10-2009, 11:25 PM
...get real! "Night Of The Living Dead" was pure fiction that made George Romero a lot of cabbage, OK? Zombies! Sheesh! I'll believe in Bigfoot before
I believe in Zombies...of course, if you've ever driven the drunk route around 3am at the University I work at, some of the students staggering home & to their dorms do look like "Zombies". Hey! You don't think.....? AGGGHHHH!:drool:

"Night of the Living Dead" was based on an actual event that happened in a small town that my brother-in-laws second cousin lived in. Google it!

endurance
03-10-2009, 11:31 PM
I agree, when I was a twig-pig, I was a perfectly reasonable guy. I don't think you'd have any problems. You're right, you would probably just get a ticket, at worst, with a $50 or $75 fine. But you said: <pulls out 9mm> "Yo man, Shorty's about to get his bro, you'bess step aside yo, cuz you bout 'ta feel me bro."

That's a lot different than politely accepting a ticket.

Sarge47
03-10-2009, 11:32 PM
"Night of the Living Dead" was based on an actual event that happened in a small town that my brother-in-laws second cousin lived in. Google it!
What are you talking about? Give me a link! I can't find any....Oh no! They're coming in! Help! Stay back! Hey! The fat zombie is wearing a "Twinkie" suit! ARRRGGGGHHH!!!!:drool::drool::drool::drool:

(Oooooh, I'm sooo bad!:innocent:)

polishpunk
03-10-2009, 11:52 PM
i think its a little funny that this discussion got on the topic of zombies and shooting a cop

RichJ
03-11-2009, 12:05 AM
i think its a little funny that this discussion got on the topic of zombies and shooting a cop

No. 1) Never ever shoot a cop.

No. 2) Always plan for zombies, seriously.

Nativedude
03-11-2009, 12:45 AM
RichJ wrote;". . .during an emergency the normal rules go out the window."

Rich, While you are right to a point about the "rules going out the window" (NOLA after Katrina), in a severe emergency situation Martial Law is enforced. Curfews, travel restrictions, etc.

Now, if we had a Nationwide State of Emergency (SHTF), then, most likely, there would not be as tight of restrictions on a local level. They (the Gov't.) would be concentrating more on our borders and general national security. Protecting our national defenses and major commerce cities. So suburban and rural areas would not be as heavily guarded and you would have more freedom of movement. But I'm sure there would still be some restriction. Most likely an imposed curfew, etc.

So I don't think camping at a state park would be high on the list of protected areas and you would be able to "get away", as it were, to camp and sustain. At least for a short time, but MARTIAL LAW WOULD PREVAIL!

That's why I live where even the bears have a hard time finding us!

RichJ
03-11-2009, 12:59 AM
That may be so but I'm not going to let my family get hurt or put in danger because of some BS buracracy. I've always been a law abiding citizen, but rules are make to be broken in an emergency. Family first, country, laws, and everybody else is second.

Sarge47
03-11-2009, 07:28 AM
No. 1) Never ever shoot a cop.

No. 2) Always plan for zombies, seriously.
I've done a little homework & come to find out that there are two schools of thought on what Zombies are:

1.) People who don't develop any survival skills, yet think that because they have guns when TSHTF they'll just shoot people & take what they want.

2.) Hollywood's version of the "undead"

Which one are you referring to?:cool2:

RichJ
03-11-2009, 09:44 AM
I've done a little homework & come to find out that there are two schools of thought on what Zombies are:

1.) People who don't develop any survival skills, yet think that because they have guns when TSHTF they'll just shoot people & take what they want.

Shhhh... If you say the "z" word more than three times within the same moon phase, they will come.

Geronimo!
03-11-2009, 10:03 AM
Shhhh... If you say the "z" word more than three times within the same moon phase, they will come.

Dont' do it!!

Another word of advice on the word "abba." Talk about shtf...

Ever wondered of the horrors of being in a swedish pop group singing mama mia all day?

Three times in front of the mirror and that's what you'll get.

Rick
03-11-2009, 10:06 AM
Polishpunk - Check out the Illinois DNR site for state parks and wilderness areas near you. You can also take a look at an Illinois state map. It will have the state parks and forests highlighted in green.

gryffynklm
03-11-2009, 10:18 AM

I'm Definitely with Sarge on this. I have a lot to learn in regard to actual survival in a emergency situation but I believe I can survive as log as #1 leaves me alone.

#2 on the other hand can be trapped. If you cook them like chitterlings they taste like chicken and old socks.

Rick
03-11-2009, 10:22 AM
If you cook them like chitterlings they taste like chicken and old socks.

Okay. 2 questions.

1. How do you know what zombies taste like?
2. Worse, how do you know what old socks taste like?

gryffynklm
03-11-2009, 10:29 AM
Okay. 2 questions.

1. How do you know what zombies taste like?
2. Worse, how do you know what old socks taste like?

Parts of college are a bit fuzzy.

Seriously though, zombies comes up in a subject how am I supposed to take the post seriously? If you are referring to zombie #1, yes I am concerned for my survival.

If you are serious about zombies I would like to read the article from a reputable source. Until then, sorry I think games.

Rick
03-11-2009, 10:31 AM
I understand the college thingy. Old socks might have been the least of your worries. Six day old pizza looked good after a binge. At least I think it was six day old pizza.

gryffynklm
03-11-2009, 10:39 AM
By the way survival food don't, Coffee sandwich.

Back to the actual subject of this thread.
Polishpunk: Were in the Chicago area can I bug to?

Can you give a county at least. It does no good for me to suggest North if you live south. A lot of the forest preserves are big. You can get lost and be hidden if you go far enough off the trails.

RichJ
03-11-2009, 10:44 AM
cool2:

to me this category reffers to the punks, gangbangers, roaming bandits, and looters as well as anyone who would use an emergancy to take advantage of others. I keep a weapon as a prep. for these types. I don't believe in murder but if someone steals my food, that is the same as sentencing my children to a slow death and that can't happen. I think most here prep for non-prepers to some degree. Sarge: also, you seem to have the mindset that all emergency scenarios will be short lived and temporary, most will be, but I also prep. for long term situations that could occur. Call me paranoid but I think it's a very real possibility that there could be long term dissruptions that are nothing like Katrina. What if in a year from now the dollar collapses? Do you think FEMA is going to save you with meal packs in just a few weeks when no one can buy food? I don't have a "don't worry, this is just temporary mindset." I have a scared to death this could happen mindset.

RichJ
03-11-2009, 10:46 AM
Parts of college are a bit fuzzy.

Seriously though, zombies comes up in a subject how am I supposed to take the post seriously? If you are referring to zombie #1, yes I am concerned for my survival.

If you are serious about zombies I would like to read the article from a reputable source. Until then, sorry I think games.

If you really have to think about this, then obviously the humor didn't reach you and I worry about you.

Rick
03-11-2009, 10:49 AM
Dude, there is photographic evidence all over the web. They walk among us. Seriously. Watch your brain!

http://www.mccullagh.org/db9/1ds-17/zombie-market-street.jpg

Rick
03-11-2009, 10:53 AM
More proof!

http://weblogs.newsday.com/entertainment/tv/blog/22_simoncowell_lgl.jpg

gryffynklm
03-11-2009, 11:20 AM
They got my daughter!!!

I'm quite proud of her. Thats my little girl Kari.

Sarge47
03-11-2009, 12:53 PM
Sarge: also, you seem to have the mindset that all emergency scenarios will be short lived and temporary, most will be, but I also prep. for long term situations that could occur. mindset."
1st.) ZOMBIES! ZOMBIES! ZOMBIES! (oh crap! here comes Barrack Obama!)
2nd.) What makes you think that I think ALL emergency scearios will be short-lived & temporary? You have NOT been paying attention young man! Drop & give me 20!
3rd.) Actually Zombies DO exist!:drool: They are the genetic offspring of Aliens & Bigfoot!:alien::innocent::cool2:
(HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!)

Rick
03-11-2009, 02:10 PM
Karl - You should be very proud. She looks a lot like dad.http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w303/cascabelsl/smiley-zombie46ni.gif

RichJ
03-11-2009, 02:29 PM
1st.) 2nd.) What makes you think that I think ALL emergency scearios will be short-lived & temporary? You have NOT been paying attention young man! Drop & give me 20!

fair enough. I'll be in the latrine.

MatthewnOK
03-11-2009, 06:19 PM
Isn't a latrine a trench dug in the ground of doing your business. If so wouldn't that mean you get IN a trench filled with.... ewww....

polishpunk
03-11-2009, 07:59 PM
i live about 45 min southwest of chicago in dupage county.

endgame118
03-11-2009, 08:20 PM
although i agree with the south southwest mentality i prefer northwest myself
sparsely populated with a large game animal population

A GOVERMENT BIG ENOUGH TO GIVE YOU EVERYTHING IS BIG ENOUGH TO TAKE IT AWAY
Thomas Jefferson

Sarge47
03-11-2009, 10:25 PM
Well, just off the top, I'd say that the Moon is out of the question, as is Mars or any of the other planets....!:cool2:

Sarge47
03-11-2009, 10:31 PM
This is more interesting.:innocent::cool2:

crashdive123
03-11-2009, 10:37 PM

Well, if you are not going to answer questions to help us help you.....we've still got to talk about something.

gryffynklm
03-11-2009, 11:35 PM
i live about 45 min southwest of chicago in dupage county.

Im from Cook County a bit north of there. HEre is a link to the Dupage Forest preserve. There are maps and the Blackwell forest preserve allows camping at a reasonable rate.

http://www.dupageforest.com/recreation/camping.html

polishpunk
03-13-2009, 01:32 AM
thanx now i hav somewhere to go this spring break

polishpunk
03-13-2009, 01:34 AM
Well, if you are not going to answer questions to help us help you.....we've still got to talk about something.

wat do u meen every time u guys ask me a question i answer. so ur like the only person that doesnt realize im answering

Sarge47
03-13-2009, 07:12 AM
wat do u meen every time u guys ask me a question i answer. so ur like the only person that doesnt realize im answeringNemo cameltrat asdfg hjkl; odjenef jjfiss, you see?:spam::cool2:

Rick
03-13-2009, 07:24 AM
I didn't think about it earlier but Vancouver or somewhere along the Inside Passage would be pretty nice, too.

crashdive123
03-13-2009, 08:08 AM
Polishpunk said: wat do u meen every time u guys ask me a question i answer. so ur like the only person that doesnt realize im answering
Polishpunk said: i wanna do it all but i already know how to make cordage so i cood care less about that.After reading back through the questions asked and your answers - you are correct, you did answer - my apologies for not being able to recognize them as useful in trying to help you.

Ken
03-13-2009, 08:15 AM
After reading back through the questions asked and your answers - you are correct, you did answer - my apologies for not being able to recognize them as useful in trying to help you.

Try to communicate with with some of his age-group when they really need help and should be able to answer specific questions. :punk::confused1:

polishpunk
01-03-2010, 11:12 PM
i dont know about you guys but i hav always wanted to try and live of the land with just the bare essentials. so definitely no tent. but doing this isnt my question. i want to know where i could go to do this and not get in any trouble. just a big forest area where i can hike and build my own shelter and fire.

crashdive123
01-04-2010, 12:28 AM
So, what did you end up practicing, and how did it go? http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6078

polishpunk
01-04-2010, 12:52 AM
haha i like that u found that. um well i ended up going on a camping trip with my friends (my parents didnt know) we were out there for 3 days just living off the land. we made a shelter. it was a lot of fun. all we brought was a sleeping bag a knife and little homemade survival kit

rwc1969
01-04-2010, 01:26 AM
It would be nice to hear of a place where one can go out and do this responsibly without having to aquire all kinds of permits and such.

Around here most everything can be done except setting snares, deadfalls, primitive fishtraps, etc. etc. You have to get a free permit in advance though and you cannot do it within a mile of a campground. I think there are limits as far as cutting down live trees too. I'm pretty sure if I cut a bunch of spruce boughs, or peeled some birch bark to line my shelter a CO would have a hissy fit, not that I would, because there aren't a lot of spruce around here. I'd pretty much be limited to using dead materials for anything I wanted to make.

Sarge47
01-04-2010, 01:26 AM
Since this is all ground that's been covered in depth before & you still don't seem to have matured very much I believe I'll abstain. :cool2:

rwc1969
01-04-2010, 01:39 AM
Judging by his posts they don't seem immature to me. I read all 17. The one thread he started had a whole lot of immature posts, but none were his. He tried responding with answers and instead of responses he just got a bunch of cop killing remarks and tales of zombie infestation. :)

I haven't seen any threads or posts stating where one could go practice living off the land without actually purchasing the land. And I haven't seen anyone say it's legal to practice all these woodland skills that are so prevalent on the net on public land.

Sarge47
01-04-2010, 01:42 AM
1st, he didn't revive the other thread, but came on like a new member, which too me is foolish. 2nd, he talks about "survival" like it's a game or something. That's what I consider immature. :cool2:

finallyME
01-04-2010, 01:55 AM
BLM. As long as you follow local hunting rules.

klkak
01-04-2010, 02:07 AM
There's a whole bunch of folks out there that have this romantic fantasy about going out and living off the land. There just aren't many who can or should try.

Go for it, but please have someone take pictures and post them on here.

Sarge47
01-04-2010, 02:25 AM
Since your 2nd thread was basically the same as your 1st I've merged the 2 together. :cool2: