PDA

View Full Version : snow tips

Ranger andy
03-05-2009, 09:03 PM
any one have any tips for a snowy Clement.i need shelter ideas,food,fire and game.:cold::lol:

wildography
03-05-2009, 10:11 PM
yes, do a search, in this forum for any topic that you are curious about...

look at the top 3rd of the web page for the green bar; the 7th clickable word from the left is SEARCH. Click on that and enter key words to find the topic...

make sure that you spell the word correctly, or you may not find anything; for example if you want to find out about survival in a winter climate... just type that into the search box

Ole WV Coot
03-05-2009, 10:45 PM
Motel 6, follow the light.

Sarge47
03-06-2009, 12:27 AM
I swear by the older Boy Scout Handbook & Fieldbook; you might also try checking out some of the BSA Troops in your area.:detective::thumbup1:

Ranger andy
03-06-2009, 11:56 AM
I need other thin the simple

Ken
03-06-2009, 12:09 PM

"Simple is as simple does." Forrest Gump

nell67
03-06-2009, 12:14 PM
I see you are from sunny san Jose California,which snowy climate are you refering too? There are many out there,answers would need to be specific to the planned location,since there are different food sources,and in some cases types of shelter depending on the location that you would need the info for,a debris hut comes to mind for shelter,if the area that you are looking at is wooded,just for starters.

Sarge47
03-06-2009, 01:52 PM
You need to learn how to spell, I don't know what you just meant here! However, simple things are the best. You need to learn why.

crashdive123
03-06-2009, 03:22 PM
Ranger Andy - I think most of us are having trouble trying to figure out what you are asking. If you use the checklist (http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5477) in this thread we may be able to give you useful answers.

Rick
03-06-2009, 07:22 PM
Try this link. It covers everything you asked about:

http://wilderness-survival.net/

Ranger andy
03-06-2009, 07:29 PM
more like trucky,Navada and i am doing this from a i phone so sorry

Ken
03-06-2009, 07:45 PM
more like trucky,Navada and i am doing this from a i phone so sorry

Andy, using the Forum isn't like texting your school friends on your cell phone. Think about what you want to say or ask, type it correctly (buy a dictionary for spelling, too) and then, and ONLY then, hit the "submit reply" button. Okay? Good. Thank you.

SARKY
03-06-2009, 08:14 PM
ranger andy,
I am trying to get a bunch of us Northern Cal. guys and gals together for a meet, greet, swap lies( I mean stories) an show off your gear. We could also do some training for the nuggets.

crashdive123
03-06-2009, 08:15 PM
...and with parental permission.

Ranger andy
03-06-2009, 11:53 PM
i don't need u being a 2ed mom thanks!!!

crashdive123
03-06-2009, 11:56 PM
i don't need u being a 2ed mom thanks!!!and I don't need to see somebody inviting somebody they believe to be an adult, not a 13 year old on a camping trip. You see RA, we tend to look out for others around here.

Ranger andy
03-06-2009, 11:59 PM
my bad........but can u look out a little less,please

Ranger andy
03-07-2009, 12:00 AM
well i did post it on my file

crashdive123
03-07-2009, 12:00 AM
my bad........but can u look out a little less,please

Probably not. It's what I do.

Ranger andy
03-07-2009, 12:03 AM
grrrr........joking ha ha ha well thanks

flandersander
03-07-2009, 12:39 AM
Notice the super moderator under crash's name? That means he's the nose picker i mean boss 'round here. Did you see what I did there? I made it seem like crash picks his nose. hahaha. As for your snowy question, i would reccomend a fire, a shelter, and maybe a super 8.

SARKY
03-07-2009, 12:40 AM
Hey my bad! didn't know he was 13 not that it bothers me as long as he has his head on straight. I did untold numbers of PAOs (Public Affairs Outings) at SERE with Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Middle schools (including my sons), JROTC, ROTC, and a home for wayward teens (probably the most unruley of the lot. As the instructor, I am god! and my safety rules will be obeyed!

Nativedude
03-08-2009, 01:55 AM
Ranger Andy wrote:"any one have any tips for a snowy Clement.i need shelter ideas,food,fire and game. :cold: :lol:

R.A., Your question tells me that you are inexperienced in the woods, especially in winter. Before you venture out into the snow and cold, I suggest you practice and learn in the summer. Once you have the basics, then you can try to venture out during winter.

Winter is no place for a novice (noob) to practice and learn survival skills. Because, most likely, you will not survive!

If you must venture out half-cocked and not prepared, here are a few things you need to survive:

1.) The most important thing you need is shelter. And not a half-assed, lean-to type shelter, but a full-on wiki-up or solid debris shelter. Something that will block out as much cold and wind as possible.

2.) You need a fire. Now a fire in winter can be difficult to ignite and if you are not well versed in gathering the proper and right amount of EXTREMELY DRY tinder, which it can be hard to find dry tinder in a snowy climate (clement). But you have to find the best and driest tinder you can!

3.) As for food; snares are your best bet to catch a meal without exerting a lot of energy. You'll need 10-12x30" pcs. of 18 - 20 ga. wire to make your snares. It is best to set all 12 snares, but 10 will work. If you're lucky, 3 of the 10 or 4 of the 12 snares will have dinner in them (as a general rule of thumb), BUT NOT ALWAYS! Now, of course, you need to set your snares on active game trails.

tsitenha
03-08-2009, 05:51 PM
I would very leery about telling a beginner to make an open fire in California, best to get some experience with others first (as someone suggested try a boy scout troop near you). Be extremely careful with your fire pit, bring to mineral earth always, and put it out with a lot of water and stir it up.

MatthewnOK
03-08-2009, 10:10 PM
The thing about snowy weather is that if you become injured or get wet hypothermia will set in quickly. There isn't any second chances. Practice this skills in the summer and then one at a time in cold weather not all at once.

Ranger andy
03-09-2009, 06:52 PM
thanks but my weak spot is the snow i am good any where els but i suck in the snow lol

Gray Wolf
03-12-2009, 01:11 AM
Motel 6, follow the light.

Or just follow Grylls to the Motel. :tongue_smilie: