PDA

View Full Version : Wild Pig Prevention

The Shadoran Nomad
03-05-2009, 08:07 PM
Hi
Last night in my campsite I thought that a group of wild pigs went through and scared the **** out of me.
Does anyone know any way to help prevent this. Even my dog was scared(shes not a very good guard dog).

crashdive123
03-05-2009, 08:24 PM
While camping, exclusion is probably not an option (unless you are there for a long (read real long) stay. I'm not aware of any methods that will scare them off. I would make sure that there is/are no things in the camp that would draw them in (food). They may not be a bad thing however. If you get hungry it's kind of nice to have your food source come to you.

Stairman
03-05-2009, 08:53 PM
Id hate to get trampled in my tent by a herd of hogs.That thin nylon doesnt feel too secure when its dark out and your in a sleeping bag.A firearm does help me sleep better.

grundle
03-05-2009, 09:44 PM
Hi
Last night in my campsite I thought that a group of wild pigs went through and scared the **** out of me.
Does anyone know any way to help prevent this. Even my dog was scared(shes not a very good guard dog).

I always feel most secure sleeping in a hammock. I don't like the thought of snakes, bugs, or other critters sneaking up on me. The only time where this is a concern is in cold weather when the wind could turn out to be a problem.

Personally I like the hennessy hammock. Its like a little hanging tent :)

wildography
03-05-2009, 10:01 PM
A 12 gauge loaded with slugs does wonders... of course, you might have to memorize the phrase: "but, Mr. Game Warden, we thought they were going to attack us!".

From what I've seen of wild hogs, wild dogs, and javelinas... the only way to keep them from coming around is the sound of gunfire...

Ole WV Coot
03-05-2009, 10:47 PM
I would holler FREE BACON !! real loud. They should clear out then.

klkak
03-05-2009, 10:56 PM
Sleep in a tree like your wild ancestors did!

Alpine_Sapper
03-05-2009, 11:10 PM
A 12 gauge loaded with slugs does wonders... of course, you might have to memorize the phrase: "but, Mr. Game Warden, we thought they were going to attack us!".

From what I've seen of wild hogs, wild dogs, and javelinas... the only way to keep them from coming around is the sound of gunfire...

No bag limit or season on feral hogs here. But in the middle of the night just use a .45. During the day, that's a different story. Put a little corn on the road and wait till momma sow starts to eat. Put a .223 in her ear and hit the bolt. I wouldn't hit more than one or two a day in the summer though unless you like being covered in fleas and ticks while butchering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00cPQ2M4QGo

The Shadoran Nomad
03-06-2009, 06:01 AM
I guess it may have been the dog food i left out over night - tonight I will make sure its all packed away. I dont have a gun (coz im australian and we have laws againts it) so that isnt really an option.

Free Bacon - yep sounds good to me :)

Stairman
03-06-2009, 07:20 AM
How about bottle rockets or firecrackers then.Hogs would never know the difference.

crashdive123
03-06-2009, 08:04 AM
I guess it may have been the dog food i left out over night - tonight I will make sure its all packed away. I dont have a gun (coz im australian and we have laws againts it) so that isnt really an option.

When you pack it away, hang it in a tree a little distance from your campsite.

Alpine_Sapper
03-06-2009, 11:05 AM

Man, that sux. However, in that case, go primal. Use a nice, sharp spear.

RunsWithDeer
03-06-2009, 06:52 PM
Wild hogs usually avoid people, they also have a very good sense of smell. While camping in hog country in Louisiana, we had hogs come in one night, they tore into the cooler. After that we kept the food up, and we spread some clothes out around the camp to keep the human odor up. Not sure if it made a difference but the hogs never came into camp after that.

SARKY
03-06-2009, 08:27 PM
you could always build a punji pit on their trail

Norse&Native
03-07-2009, 01:06 AM
Check out Les Stroud's episode entitled Arizona Desert. He talks about avoiding peccary attacks.

skunkkiller
03-07-2009, 04:55 PM
make a bow and some arrows , spear, traps and listen to them squeal.

hoosierarcher
03-07-2009, 07:06 PM
They obviously aren't hunted much where you camped or they would have a natural fear of humans. Where humans do not hunt wild swine humans are on the menu FOR the wild swine. Kill some and your smell will be feared.

Rick
03-07-2009, 11:01 PM
My smell is feared and I haven't killed anyone.:scared: Mostly, I blame it on the dog.

Beans
03-08-2009, 12:08 AM

Wild hogs usually avoid people, they also have a very good sense of smell.

according to your post that is the reason they didn't come back, it was the smell LOL

doren
03-08-2009, 07:46 AM
My smell is feared and I haven't killed anyone.:scared:

You should try bathing more than once a month.

swampmouse
03-10-2009, 01:39 PM
Try this the next time, encircle your tent with a few tree limbs about knee high. Pigs are more incline to not go through a fenced area. Also, shoot a couple for the freezer and a small one for the barby.

bulrush
03-11-2009, 09:17 AM
Some people make a stout walking stick, 1 or 1.5 inches thick. Sometimes they put a lead ball on the end, then wack the pig with it, right on the head.

Rick
03-11-2009, 10:12 AM
Try this the next time, encircle your tent with a few tree limbs about knee high. Pigs are more incline to not go through a fenced area.

That's not a bad idea. I'll bet a few branches of Honey Locust would keep them at bay.

ravenscar
11-05-2010, 07:26 AM
once i was pinned by a hog, and the only thing that saved me was a dull knife and headphones :EEK:

Rick
11-05-2010, 08:30 AM
I have no idea what that means. Where's my coffee?

your_comforting_company
11-05-2010, 10:20 AM
At least where we hunt them, they'll climb over downed trees, under them, through briars and vines.. they are inclined to go anywhere their little heart desires. I suggest NOT sleeping in known hog territory, or at least building a raised platform for your bedding.
My uncle had a close encounter with a boar up in Fort Gaines. After firing all 6 shots from his 30/30, the hog, paralyzed at the back legs, dragged his limp half up a steep hill and my uncle was forced to beat the hog to death with the stock of his gun.
Lesson learned.
Now, we always look for a tree to climb before shooting at any hogs.

kyratshooter
11-05-2010, 10:40 AM
once i was pinned by a hog, and the only thing that saved me was a dull knife and headphones :EEK:

This is apparently one of the younger generation Rick. He had Rap music on the MP3 and stuck the headphones in the pigs' ears. The animals brain instantly turned to mush and it fell dead on the spot!

I saw a show last weekend on PBS produced by the KY-WMA. A question and answer call in show so people could ask questions about hunting regs before deer season. One of the questions was "Could you kill a wild hog on a deer liscense?" (the most common question to the screeners was "Can I hunt with a gun if I am a convicted felon?")

In KY you can kill a wild hog with no liscense, any time, with whatever weapon you have at that moment. They are an invasive species not native to KY and they are distroying habitat. They wanted all of them shot on sight.

It seems that some corperation from Texas bought several large plots of land in KY and suddenly wild hogs appeared around these areas in habatat that had never supported them. The are extremely prolific and hardy with a high survival rate. They are smarter than the average wild game animal too, having a higher IQ than most people over on the Survival Boards forum.

The officers warned that one shoud use double latex gloves while cleaning/processing the animals because every one they had tested had Triconosis and brucillis, both of which can be transfered to humans. these are not your average feed lot vaccinated, medicated corn fed hogs.

Rick
11-05-2010, 10:43 AM
Ditto here in Indiana. Open season. I think you forgot BIGGER but who's counting. As to the headphones, since I can't hear a jack hammer even if I'm holding it that accounts for my not knowing what they are.

These tough guys think hunting bear with only a knife is tough stuff. I'm going after a hog with one. Yeah, that's the ticket.

welderguy
11-05-2010, 10:53 AM
Ditto here in Indiana. Open season. I think you forgot BIGGER but who's counting. As to the headphones, since I can't hear a jack hammer even if I'm holding it that accounts for my not knowing what they are.

These tough guys think hunting bear with only a knife is tough stuff. I'm going after a hog with one. Yeah, that's the ticket.

If your really tough you would just use a pointy stick !!!

ravenscar
11-05-2010, 11:59 AM
This is apparently one of the younger generation Rick. He had Rap music on the MP3 and stuck the headphones in the pigs' ears. The animals brain instantly turned to mush and it fell dead on the spot!

I resent that, as it was def lepord on a CD player. :band:

Rick
11-05-2010, 01:07 PM
If your really tough you would just use a pointy stick !!!

Very well. I shall do you one better than that! I shall use a blunt stick. Does it count if it has the word Louisville anywhere on it?

your_comforting_company
11-05-2010, 04:11 PM
yep. it still counts, Rick.

There are closed seasons on them here, I thnk more for safety reasons, and trespassing, but special permits are issued to landowners plagued by the beasts. Basically, any time that any other game is in season.. it's hog season.
Hard to imagine that most all of them came from 8 little pigs Chris Columbus brought over here. There are other species, of course, that have also been introduced and "escaped cultivation" as it were, like the largest boars, and then there are the hybrids... I expect in a few more years there will be open season year round on them here too.

kyratshooter
11-05-2010, 05:10 PM
Hard to imagine that most all of them came from 8 little pigs Chris Columbus brought over here. There are other species, of course, that have also been introduced and "escaped cultivation" as it were, like the largest boars, and then there are the hybrids... I expect in a few more years there will be open season year round on them here too.

When Desoto came to NA he landed in Tampa with 600 hogs as mobile food supply for his troops. many of the got away and quickly populated the southern hills with hogs. That is not where the present supply comes from though. The ones we have now were released on purpose late in the 20th century on private hunting preserves. Hogs will lose their domestic nature and revert to tusk growing demons in two generartions. That is less than 18 months of genetic imprinting.

Back in the old days the entire eastern U.S. was "Free Range". The landowner was responsible for fencing his crops and the livestock ran free in the woods. Hog killing did not mean you went out to the pen and killed the hogs, it ment you went out with a pack of dogs and a shotgun and hunted them down.

There were so many wild hogs in the woods that no one knew or cared who the origional owner was. You went out and killed what you needed to feed you family and so did everyone else. The only people that went hungry were crippled or worthless. That is where the old southern term of "being too lazy to feed his family" came from. Hogs cost only the trouble of going out and getting them.

The favored dogs in our area were the Plott Hounds. They were brought from germany by the Plott family and have an unbroken pure linage from around 1750. The Plotts had been gamekeepers in the Black Forest of Germany and had developed their strain specifically as hog hunting dogs for the German Nobility.

We refer to a big knife as a "Pig sticker", and strangly enough, the German nobles refered to their short hunting swords as the same. It does sound more impressive in German. They used them even after firearms were popular so they did not endanger the dogs trying th shoot a wounded or cornered hog.

It is called a Hirschfanger.

I think when you use a baseball bat on them it is called a blockenheader.

canid
11-05-2010, 05:13 PM
wild pigs usually don't hurt people sure; but they sometimes seriously hurt people. pretending they aren't dangerous just because the danger isn't too large is inviting trouble.

are there any regulations in Oz about bear bangers?

Rick
11-05-2010, 05:31 PM
And the person with the bat is known as the swinginrunner.

welderguy
11-05-2010, 09:18 PM
And the person with the bat is known as the swinginrunner.
lol I was going to say I would have better luck with the pointy stick, cause it's hard to hit something with a bat when your running away .

Batch
11-05-2010, 10:04 PM
I've had hog come through trails just outside of camp. Had them bust out of a head and run right at us. But, never aggressive toward us.

Now when hunting them I have had the hair on my neck stand up. I was crawling through a hog trail in a head and they started a ruckus. No way to stand and fight and no way to retreat.

To say the least I was in a tight spot! Luckily they had an alternative exit.

kyratshooter
11-06-2010, 05:42 PM
lol I was going to say I would have better luck with the pointy stick, cause it's hard to hit something with a bat when your running away .

"It's so easy a caveman can do it"

Lots of pig bones in european and asian dig sites when all humans had were pointy sticks and clubs.

You get one in a leg-hold snare and go to work on him.

I saw my grandad level a mean hog when it came after him in the pen one day. There was a 3 foot length of 2x4 laying there and grandad domesticated and re-educated that pig with one good swing. He said it had been working up to the lesson for several days.

The critter was a good 300 pound boar hog and it lay there for about 3 minutes before it decided which way was up. Grandad could have cut its throat with a pocket knife if he had wanted. Or stuck it in the jugular with a sharp pointy stick.

We used to kill hogs every fall. We would shoot them between the eyes with a .22 short. It did not kill them, just stuned them long enough for us to stick a knife in their jugular. I never remember finding a .22 slug that had penetrated that thick skull. They just bounced off and leveled the hog for a few seconds.

sthrnstrong
11-09-2010, 05:25 AM
Just a thought....A portable electric fence. Known to keep the big bears out sure it would work on hogs. At least if a hog gets caught in the fence its Instant Bacon. =)

Rick
11-09-2010, 09:19 AM
Yeah, but we'd have to string it half way across America. Then there's all the little kids getting zapped. It probably wouldn't work.