PDA

View Full Version : Whistle's

vthompson
03-03-2009, 04:49 AM
I think that anyone that spends any time at all hiking or camping or backpacking would be doing themselves a favor by getting themselves a real good, real loud whistle.
They don't cost that much, around $5.00, and they don't weigh anything either so you wouldn't even know that you had it on you.
A whistle will carry further than your voice in an emergency situation and you won't loose your voice either, and it doesn't take that much effort to blow them.
I think that you would be doing yourself a favor by getting one.

Sourdough
03-03-2009, 08:43 AM
Even city people.....should have a whistle on the zipper of every jacket and every coat.

crashdive123
03-03-2009, 08:52 AM
Whistles are great. Lots of varieties to choose from - I would recommend the pealess types - less chance of failure. If you've got small kids (or grandkids) it is a great thing for them to have with them. With a little teaching, and after the novelty of blowing the whistle and driving the adults nuts - having the whistle for outdoors and even neighborhood safety can be a big plus.

wildography
03-03-2009, 11:40 AM
I have the "Storm" whistle; supposedly its the loudest whistle made... I took it outside one time, plugged up my ears with my fingers and blew the whistle as hard as I could... JEEZ!!! that sucker is LOUD! I bet, under the right conditions, that sucker could be heard a mile - or more - away!

I keep it tied to my pack; always there and it probably doesn't weigh more than a couple of ounces.

DOGMAN
03-03-2009, 12:08 PM
The Fox 40 is a great pealess whistle, that blows loudly even when wet. It is the favorite of river guides, and river rescue personal, who use whistles as communication devices over the sound of raging rapids

locorogue
03-04-2009, 12:16 AM
i use the 'storm' and 'wind-storm'.AWESOME.

crashdive123
03-04-2009, 12:22 AM
Out of the many that I have tried the "Storm" is my favorite. Nearly as loud, but much smaller are the "Jet Scream" and "Howler".

pgvoutdoors
03-04-2009, 12:02 PM
I issue Fox 40's to all my clients if they don't have a proper whistle.

Pict
03-04-2009, 02:11 PM
I like whistles as well but it really is kind of redundant with me. If I have fingers I can whistle really loud, pea-less design, even works in water.

It is hard to beat the Fox 40, I have several.

The ACR is not quite as loud but it is very flat.

The Storm is LOUD but HUGE as well.

I have a Jetscream but I'm not impressed with it.

Mac