PDA

View Full Version : I got my survival gun - finally !!

Ohio Rusty
03-02-2009, 09:31 PM
For the last 3 months, we've all been watching wall street, the banks, and our economy free falling into the unknown abyss with equally unknown and devastating consequenses. 3 months ago a fellow on another list I'm on put up for sale a custom made flintlock smoothbore gun. .54 caliber/.28 gauge, Siler flintlock lock, the finest 46 inch Longhammock barrel made, etc. You can see this gun if you look at the Jim Chambers flintlocks site and look at what he calls the Pennsylvania smoothrifle - Same exact gun.

The gun owner agreed to let me make several payments to acqire the gun as they are rather expensive. This one I picked up for about half price. As our economy kept getting deeper and deeper into the pit, I have been getting more and more anxious about getting my flintlock. I have had the fear the economy would collapse before I had it in my grubby little hands. Last week they announced on the radio that AIG would be out of money might go under today (Monday). Paranoia mode on !! Saturday I met the seller and gave him the last payment for my smoothbored gun. I was elated !! I felt like a great weight has been taken off my shoulders as if the economy takes a nasty downturn, I now have the gun that I will depend on for food gathering. Roundball for large game like deer, and shot for small game and flying game. It doesn't require any special ammo, just a sharp flint in the jaws of the hammer and some blackpowder in the pan and barrel.

I have been getting the acessories right along I need for this gun, and making many others. I call this smoothbored gun a survival gun. It's not for firefights with other armed assailants. It is for the hunter-gatherer that wants to have a dependable long arm for getting food. It's accurate like a black powder rifle out to 50 or 60 yards, and will definitely take any meat animal or bird that is so unlucky to get in front of that long barrel. If our economy heads farther and deeper into depression, I can be sure that my family will be fed the same way the early pioneers fed their families in the 18th century when they didn't have anyone to depend on other than themselves. The Government isn't going to help me or feed me. It's up to me to make my own success and come out of the other end of this depression OK. My flintlock smoothbore was one of the items of my survival strategy plan that has come together perfectly.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Rick
03-02-2009, 09:38 PM
I'm glad you got your dream gun But I doubt it will be of any use as you describe it. Do you have any idea how many folks from Ohio have the same plan? The woods (what few Ohio still has) would be a dangerous place indeed.

crashdive123
03-02-2009, 09:42 PM
Sounds like a nice flintlock. It would not be my choice, but as the saying goes - if it works for you, it works for me.

Ole WV Coot
03-03-2009, 12:49 AM
Don't sweat it, buy the gun. I'm down enough to have bought a tank and still sleep at night. Also got a tax audit and a bill big enough to bail out AIG if I could pay it. Now I know what those 1099-DIV thingies are.

tsitenha
03-03-2009, 12:59 AM
Lots of dogs in the city, now there a fine meal :red_indian:

wildography
03-03-2009, 01:18 AM
always exciting to pick up a gun that you've been wanting... congrats!

Rick
03-03-2009, 08:17 AM
Now I know what those 1099-DIV thingies are

That there is funny, I don't care who you are.

Runs With Beer
03-03-2009, 09:06 AM
I know what you mean, I have a smooth bore and love it Mine is from TVA. Here are some things I made to use with my Flintlock, Hope you enjoy it.

Stairman
03-03-2009, 09:32 AM
A new gun feels good,I know the feeling.I have a double barrel 12 guage blackpowder gun myself.Percussion cap,but trust my modern inline with 209 primers and pyrodex pellets more for hunting during BP season.The scope also makes it nice.For survival purposes my 10/22 with cheap dependable ammo would be my first grab.Squirrels are the most abundant eatin critter in these parts.Bitin those shot are bad on the teeth.

Gray Wolf
03-03-2009, 11:14 PM
Congrats on getting the rifle you wanted, especially at half price!

But That would not be my first choice either.

Humm what would be my first choice... I know!

A Springfield M6 Scout .22 Hornet/.410 SS!

I WANT MY RIFLE BACK!!!

FVR
03-03-2009, 11:41 PM
Alright, nothing like blackpowder. Smells so...............primitive.

Here is my 54 rifle. Been wanting one for years and finally got this one in a trade. It was made in the early 70's, but has a brand new barrel.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/FrankV/MVC-035S-1.jpg

I have yet to sight it in. Not really in a rush as it is my elk rifle and the elk hunt is not for a few years. I have the rifle, the tipi, the buckskins, the french boot mocs, still in the process of accumulating my gear.

Post a pic.

Norse&Native
03-04-2009, 04:06 AM
I know what you mean, I have a smooth bore and love it Mine is from TVA. Here are some things I made to use with my Flintlock, Hope you enjoy it.

Damn, you're quite the craftsman.

gryffynklm
03-04-2009, 10:53 AM

Nice work, I like the vent pic much nicer then my hunk of brass wire. It looks like an old key cut off. Powder horn is nice too, the strap off the bottom side.

swampmouse
03-10-2009, 01:54 PM
I had a Hawken 54 cal once and traded it and its goodies for a Ruger 1 in 30-06. Traded that for electric bill.

Stairman
03-10-2009, 02:56 PM
Ive got an electric bill Ill trade you for anything of value.

Rick
03-10-2009, 05:08 PM
No, Stairman. See, he had a smooth bore...or never mind.

klkak
04-16-2009, 02:57 PM
This thread could be moved to the new "Guns and Ammo" page.

Alpine_Sapper
04-16-2009, 03:51 PM
Lots of dogs in the city, now there a fine meal :red_indian:

lol. and a good way to get yourself scalped homie.

Runs With Beer
04-24-2009, 07:53 AM
Nice work, I like the vent pic much nicer then my hunk of brass wire. It looks like an old key cut off. Powder horn is nice too, the strap off the bottom side.

Thank you, Its made from an old key and an allen wrench, You cant see it in the pic, but the allen wrench was heated and twisted.

LudwigVan
04-28-2009, 07:27 PM
You should think about learning to make your own powder. A lot of folks these days are getting muzzleloaders because of the "ammo shortage", but somehow don't understand that if there comes a time that they can't buy ammo then they probably won't be able to buy black powder either.

(I'm not advocating doing anything illegal if homeade powder is somehow illgeal in your area, Just sayin...)

Beo
04-29-2009, 07:14 PM
Ohio Rusty,
I have been shooting flintlocks for years now, use mine all the time on historical trekks and for hunting. I have a custom made French Tulle from Higgins in .62 cal and I can tell you it won't (being a smoothbore) shoot dead on at 60 yards, its off center by at least 4 to 6 inches with round ball. Not saying yours don't but I'd have to see that, I know they did it in the old days of the frontier but they (the flinters) were made different. Now flintlock is not percussion cap, and it takes a real man to stand there and pull the trigger with an explosion going off 3 inches from your face. I do say I am very, very glad to see you into not just black powder but into flintlocks even more as its a dying shooting art.
We should hook up some time and do a trekk or go hunting, or just blow some rounds off.

Beo,