PDA

View Full Version : axe+flame=holy flame

Ranger andy
03-02-2009, 08:49 PM
i heard if u spray Axe on a peace of wood and light it it would light faster even if it was wet? any one know if its truth?

Durlaburban
03-02-2009, 08:55 PM
using spray dirtbag attractant as a firestarter is a stupid move... man just go about it the right way. but using it as a flamethrower... meh.. thats ok

SARKY
03-02-2009, 10:04 PM
It's probably the alcohol content in the spray

crashdive123
03-02-2009, 10:44 PM
Yes it does contain alcohol. As a youngster, oh, say, about 13 years old...I found that with a can of Right Guard and a zippo lighter you can cause a flame that is about 2 feet long to catch the curtains in your bedroom on fire.....I'm just saying...

laughing beetle
03-02-2009, 10:48 PM
Oof!! Did you get grounded?

Cleankill47
03-02-2009, 10:56 PM
Just a suggestion, but you may want to consider using the search option to find answers to a lot of questions you might have, as a few people may have asked the same questions and have pages of responses for you to browse through.

Try things like firestarting, primitive weapons, etc..

crashdive123
03-02-2009, 10:57 PM
Oof!! Did you get grounded?

Big time...

laughing beetle
03-02-2009, 11:04 PM
Yeah. I remember getting in trouble for playing with a magnifying glass in the backyard when I was a kid. I was starting small fires in the sand pit, with dried grass and leaves. I got in trouble because I showed my little brother and my cousin how to start fires...

Ole WV Coot
03-03-2009, 12:42 AM
I've sprayed Right Guard in an expansion joint that ran under a door and by a bunk that was occupied, wedged a couple of pennies in the steel door that swung inward, lit the Right Guard, banged on the door and yelled fire. Worked great once, second time I tried some poor sport threw a bayonet at the door and almost got me. Moral, don't listen too close to the door. It's also a great weapon in the community shower.

wildography
03-03-2009, 01:23 AM
well... I know that I tried picking up a couple of cans of AXE at Walmart... carried 'em out to the aisle and held them up... didn't even get tackled by one woman... one woman did give me a wierd look though...

So... that's when I figured out that commercials don't always tell the truth... the cans sure didn't start no fire for me... (grin)!

MatthewnOK
03-03-2009, 11:46 PM
From what I've seen, it's actually the propellant (Butanol) which causes the fire not the actual ingredient in axe. What I mean is this: If you make it spray out and stick fire in front of it. If you spray and wood and add fire nothing will happen. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. You really should follow dural's advice and learn how start a fire without blowing yourself up. All you need is some knowledge and fire building will be easy.

crashdive123
03-03-2009, 11:53 PM
From what I've seen, it's actually the propellant (Butanol) which causes the fire not the actual ingredient in axe. What I mean is this: If you make it spray out and stick fire in front of it. If you spray and wood and add fire nothing will happen. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. You really should follow dural's advice and learn how start a fire without blowing yourself up. All you need is some knowledge and fire building will be easy.

You are probably correct. Could not find specifically what Axe Body Spray uses (maybe one of you that likes to spray fufu juice can read the label), but this is some info from Wiki:
Chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) were once often used, but since the Montreal Protocol came into force in 1989, they have been replaced in nearly every country due to the negative effects CFCs have on Earth's ozone layer. The most common replacements are mixtures of volatile hydrocarbons, typically propane, n-butane and isobutane. Dimethyl ether (DME) and methyl ethyl ether are also used. All these have the disadvantage of being flammable. Nitrous oxide and carbon dioxide are also used as propellants to deliver foodstuffs (for example, whipped cream and cooking spray). Medicinal aerosols such as asthma inhalers use hydrofluoroalkanes (HFA): either HFA 134a (1,1,1,2,-tetrafluoroethane) or HFA 227 (1,1,1,2,3,3,3-heptafluoropropane) or combinations of the two.

MatthewnOK
03-04-2009, 12:07 AM
I don't what the propellant is but i know it burns. I've tortured many a fire ant with my brother's zippo and some axe. (That was before i know about safe fire...)

SnipAR-10
03-16-2009, 01:57 AM
Laughing beetle. Sounds like one person's "fire-bug" is just a future "survivalist" in training. I never started fires with unconventional methods as a child, but try to do so now. When its winter, and the fireplace needs cleaning out, I'll sometimes try different methods to get the fire going again. Using the butane lighter all the time is cheating. Funny, I've never made a fire bundle with one of the old coals to relight the new. Maybe next time.