PDA

View Full Version : Grandpa's Knife

Stargazer
03-02-2009, 04:44 PM
Not sure if this is the right place to post this.But I just wanted to share a pic of a knife that was handed down to me by my grandfather.

My grandfather was born in 1904.As a baby he and his family moved to Co.The Carsons were one of thier neighbors.This knife was given to one of my grandfathers older brothers by a mountain man named Kit Carson.I dont remember if Kit make this knife or traded for it.

http://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r392/stargazerjoe/001-1.jpg

DOGMAN
03-02-2009, 05:02 PM
thats really cool

Ken
03-02-2009, 05:26 PM
Don't get rid of that one!

Stargazer
03-02-2009, 06:00 PM
Ken, Not a chance that will happen.Its one of the few things I have left from him other than lots of great memories.

crashdive123
03-02-2009, 06:03 PM
If that knife can be authenticated it is probably worth several thousand dollars.

trax
03-02-2009, 06:33 PM
Well ....way to blow any chances of me making the guy an offer you guys, learn to shut up sometimes!! yeesh....awesome knife stargazer.

Ole WV Coot
03-02-2009, 06:47 PM
Thanks Crash, just tore up my check for $10.00. I may be forced to get a job if this keeps up.

crashdive123
03-02-2009, 06:53 PM
As a trusted member of the Quality Control Department, and after having analyzed the photograph closely, I have assessed the value of the knife at $9.00. Stargazer - I recommend that you take $10.00 for the knife from either Pops or Trax.

trax
03-02-2009, 07:12 PM
I can't get into a bidding war with my Dad, Crash, he'll either:

a) offer Stargazer some of that fine home distilled beverage, or

b) kill me.

crashdive123
03-02-2009, 07:19 PM
Just trying to keep it in the family.

trax
03-02-2009, 08:27 PM
Just trying to keep it in the family.

Apparently so is Stargazer:eyore:

laughing beetle
03-02-2009, 08:35 PM
Oh, that is one sweet knife...

Rick
03-02-2009, 08:51 PM
Imagine handing that down to your grandson some day. Great family treasure.

Stargazer
03-02-2009, 11:05 PM
Thanks guys...Grandpa also gave me one of K.C.s powder horns.Nothing special about it looks like everyother one out there.

Id like to one day find out more of it history but dont know how to go about it.But being grandpa's its worth more to me than a dollar sighn..

You guys quit way to soon.I was holding out until someone offered me at least $11.50..:lol::lol:

crashdive123
03-02-2009, 11:08 PM
Thanks guys...Grandpa also gave me one of K.C.s powder horns.Nothing special about it looks like everyother one out there.

Id like to one day find out more of it history but dont know how to go about it.But being grandpa's its worth more to me than a dollar sighn..

You guys quit way to soon.I was holding out until someone offered me at least $11.50..:lol::lol:

http://smileyshut.com/smileys/new/emot65.gif (http://smileyshut.com)

vthompson
03-02-2009, 11:24 PM
That is one jim dandy heirloom. That is something to be proud of.

FVR
03-02-2009, 11:39 PM
What you need to do is document your gear. You need dates and locations of the gifts or it's just your words or dreams against the nay sayers.

My grandfather was born in 1904.As a baby he and his family moved to Co.The Carsons were one of thier neighbors.This knife was given to one of my grandfathers older brothers by a mountain man named Kit Carson.I dont remember if Kit make this knife or traded for it.

For example, in your original post, The Carson's were their neighbors. Was it Kit Carson with his first wife, his second wife, his third wife, or was it his daughter later in life?

Since Kit Carson died in 1868, for him to give your grandfathers older brother a knife, at the time of your grandfathers birth (1904), the older brother would be well over 56 years old, if he was given the knife the day that he was born, which would have to be in 1868 when Kit Carson died.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm...................

I would like to know more. If you do have a viable story and knife and gear, there are many knowledgeable historians in the AMM that would love to see pics of your gear and know it's history.

But who am I to say you are throwing bs?

crashdive123
03-02-2009, 11:44 PM
Nice catch FVR.

Stargazer
03-03-2009, 12:51 AM
FVR..I have no reason to throw the BS..Im just an average guy that was lucky to have the grandfather I did.

After re-reading my post I did make it sound like it was Kitt himself that gave the knife to my grandfathers brother.Youre right in youre math that it was not.I believe it was 1905 or06 that they moved to Co.What I should have said was that it was given to my grandfathers brother from one of the Carsons as,one of Kitts knives.I am sorry for my choice of poor wording.

I do not remember who of the Carsons gave the knife.I do know it is missing a piece that may help or may not help IDing it...I'd hate to find out that my grandfather had been duped for all these years into thinking he had one of Kitts knives.If you know who can help clear up the ID i'd be more than happy to send pics to whoever needs them.

If you would like to PM me Id be more than happy to give you my number.Again this is no BS.I was just trying to re-tell a story I had heard from my grandfathe about his knife.

Gray Wolf
03-03-2009, 09:09 PM
I'll still give ya the $11.50! :thumbup1:

Gray Wolf
03-03-2009, 09:16 PM
Is that a leather wrapped, or a curly maple handle?

Stargazer
03-03-2009, 10:52 PM
Its leather wrapped.

FVR
03-03-2009, 11:31 PM
After re-reading my post I did make it sound like it was Kitt himself that gave the knife to my grandfathers brother.Youre right in youre math that it was not.I believe it was 1905 or06 that they moved to Co.What I should have said was that it was given to my grandfathers brother from one of the Carsons as,one of Kitts knives.I am sorry for my choice of poor wording.

I figured there had to be a mix up somewhere. Take into consideration that Kit was one of 14 children, his brothers families would have been named Carson and I do not know if Kit had any sons.

1905 / 1906 the neighbors must have been really good friends as by that time Kit Carson was pretty famous. Like Buffalo Bill, the dime store novels and newspaper articles made him larger than he actually was.

If you are really interested in documenting the gear, first you need to get the dates of the transaction and the location. This will enable you to search and find which Carson was in that area.

Once you get the dates then you can contact the Kit Carson museum. They actually have a museum dedicated to him. You can get on the American Mountain Man history board, I would not if I was you until you get dates and places. You can google both resources.

I own a Lancaster rifle dated back to the early 50's. It is said to be built by a famous lock maker who made 8 of these rifles. I have rifle number 9, WHAT???

When I made the trade for the rifle, the owner presented it as what it is. I got the better of the trade because he made me promise that I would shoot and hunt with the rifle rather than hang it on the wall. Well, he told me what it was and so I began to do a little work. Turns out the gun is what it is presented as. First thing I did was to find out the style of the long guns that this builder made. The second was to find out the area that he built his guns. The third was to look at pictures of his documented rifles and compare workmanship. Yep, they all matched. And well the fourth was to pull it apart and actually see his name.

But really, I really don't give a rats arse that he made the rifle or not. That is not why I got it. I can tell you that my first shot ever out of it at the 50 yard deer nocked it over. After shooting the set of targets I realized that I should have competed with the Lancaster as my scores with it were better than my scores with the GPR that I have won contests with in the past.

But then there is the other side of the coin. You get your hopes up and then.......nothing. It's a gamble.

If you present the gear the way you did on the second post, who is to doubt you. No one as there is nothing to doubt. But present the info like you did in the first post and you will attract many skeptics.

Sometimes the best treasures are those that are not so promoted. If it indeed is Kit Carson's knife, would you sell it? In this economic time, if someone offered you 5/6 gran for it, would you take it?

Me, I would not take any amount of money for a piece of gear handed down to me with a story.

As I've said many times, every piece of my gear, primitive or modern, has a story behind it. If it does not...........I get rid of it because it means nothing to me.

Stargazer
03-04-2009, 12:02 AM
FVR..Thanks for the reply..I am going to try track down all the info I can.I have always wanted to look into its history and story more.

Do you mind if I keep in contact with you on my progress? Im sure ill need some guidance along my way.

As far as selling it.Id sell a kidney long before i sold grandpa's knife.Its one of thoes things where when I see it I think of him and how inportant he was to me.I just wish I had realized it more when I was a kid..

pgvoutdoors
03-04-2009, 12:21 PM
Excellent keepsake and story. Thanks for sharing.

Blood Groove
03-05-2009, 05:09 PM
Wow that kife's designe almost seems ahead of it's time for back then. I love he handle and the blade style. Very nice knife!