PDA

View Full Version : bird hunting

Ranger andy
03-01-2009, 04:16 PM
any good bird hunting methods?:gun_bandana:

trax
03-01-2009, 05:11 PM
Um, see flock of geese--incoming--, point shotgun, squeeze trigger. That's pretty much a tried and true method. Works well for ducks too. (Recommend 20 or 12 guage, #2 shot for geese, #4 for ducks)

See flock of ptarmigan--nesting, pick a few heads off with .22, or shoot into flock with shotgun when they take off, Recommend .410, #6 shot. Works for grouse too.

Employ large black cat with white tummy and red nose, provide said cat with blueprints, floorplans, security devices, guard dog whereabouts and turn cat loose. One of these days, it's gonna work on that *$#!!! Tweety-bird!!

wildography
03-01-2009, 10:30 PM
(assuming that you are in a survival situation) I once read this tip... clear a space of ground, free of branches, tall weeds, etc... scatter bird seed; pre-rig a netting system trap to drop on/over the birds, or just use a shotgun... but, like I said... it should be a survival situation or ya might tick off the game warden!

canid
03-01-2009, 10:39 PM
nets work, honestly.

i had neighbors growing up who strung fishnet over their vegetable garden and at least once a week birds would get tangled in it and raise all manner of heck till somebody came and cut them loose.

wildography
03-01-2009, 10:54 PM
I just remembered another thing that I picked up from a "homeless survival site"...

[B]My Pigeon Traps- Pigeons are funny critters (and easy to catch,IMO). Besides beanin' them with sticks, I've chunked fist-sized rocks at em, and trapped them. In the cities, go where there's flocks of them and they aren't really afraid of people. Feed them for a little bit, then go about setting up your trap(s). Scatter a little more feed and sit back and wait. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes to get enough for dinner.

The traps were nothing more elaborate than cardboard boxes that had been broken down and refolded so I could stick my arm through the top to grab the birds. Put a weight on the top of the box so it drops quick and prop it up with a stick. Tie a string to the bottom of the prop-stick and run it out about 20 feet or so. Bait the ground underneath and around the box so the birds have a reason to gather and when you have some targets, pull the stick out. Wearing gloves, grab them and quickly wring their necks, then leave the area before someone decides you are a "job for the police"...

I suppose you could use milk crates, but I never had any available... and while I never tried this, if you have a hammock, you could build a frame for it and set it up like you did the box. It would cover more ground so, conceivably, you can bag more birds at once (just a thought).

That info came from this site...

http://www.stormloader.com/plainsman/TheJoysofBeingHomeless.htm

Ranger andy
03-01-2009, 11:21 PM
cool thanks a lot

SARKY
03-02-2009, 01:21 AM
(assuming that you are in a survival situation) I once read this tip... clear a space of ground, free of branches, tall weeds, etc... scatter bird seed; pre-rig a netting system trap to drop on/over the birds, or just use a shotgun... but, like I said... it should be a survival situation or ya might tick off the game warden!

If you are lost in the woods , in a survival situation, I really don't give a rats behind! In fact if a game warden shows up all the better, he can drag my dumb (for getting lost) *** out of there.

klkak
03-02-2009, 02:05 AM
This is a secret method for catching birds that my grandfather taught me. I'm going to share it with you because you are so young. It's probably illegal in most states though.

1. Get a box of bird seed.
2. Get a box of Morten's salt.
3. Open the box of bird seed and pour a pile of seed on the ground.
4. Open the box of salt.
5. Lay down within arms reach of the pile of bird seed and wait for a bird to land and start eating the seed.
6. Gently reach out with the box of salt and pour it on the birds tail. The bird will be unable to fly away with salt on it's tail, so you can easily catch it.

Don't get discouraged if it takes quite a few tries before you figure out the technique. It's kinda like trying to kill something with a sling. It takes allot of practice.

Now remember this is a secret so don't tell anyone. Especially anyone in law enforcement.

canid
03-02-2009, 02:13 AM
so it's a felonious ***-salt?

laughing beetle
03-02-2009, 02:39 AM
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Ok, I'll bite...How can that possibly work?? The salt would just slide right off the tail feathers!! Unless I am missing something??

laughing beetle
03-02-2009, 02:41 AM
Reminds me of an old Loony Tunes episode, Tweety vs. Sylvester, or Wile E. Coyote vs. The Roadrunner.

crashdive123
03-02-2009, 08:42 AM
I have found that dropping some of this salt on a birds tail to be an effective way of ensuring that they did not fly away.

http://images.rasmus.com/Spherix/18497.jpg

Ken
03-02-2009, 11:07 AM
Have you tried this method?

Alpine_Sapper
03-02-2009, 11:51 AM
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Unless I am missing something??

Yes, you are. The sarcasm.

Dennis K.
03-02-2009, 12:32 PM

somebody call a fowl....

Here's another bird method:

Dig a hole
put ashes in the hole.
put peas around the the hole.
When the bird comes to take a pea, sneak up on 'em & kick him in the ash hole.

Works well for elephants, too.

klkak
03-02-2009, 01:16 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Ok, I'll bite...How can that possibly work?? The salt would just slide right off the tail feathers!! Unless I am missing something??

Now you are mature enough that you should be able to figure out why an old man would tell a kid to try something like this.

klkak
03-02-2009, 01:20 PM

Oh, in the worst way!:lol::detective:

DOGMAN
03-02-2009, 02:54 PM
Get a German Shorthair Poiner, set him loose in a big field that has nice cover, walk/run behind him. When he stops and points, get ready...when he moves up slowly to what he's pointing at- shoulder your gun. When the winged critters takes flight quickly follow it with your shotgun....simultaneously you'll need to... Id it, swiftly follow from behind it...get it in your sites, then lead it a tiny amount, pull trigger and keep moving gun in direction of birds travel.

Alpine_Sapper
03-02-2009, 03:38 PM
Get a German Shorthair Poiner, set him loose in a big field that has nice cover, walk/run behind him. When he stops and points, get ready...when he moves up slowly to what he's pointing at- shoulder your gun. When the winged critters takes flight quickly follow it with your shotgun....simultaneously you'll need to... Id it, swiftly follow from behind it...get it in your sites, then lead it a tiny amount, pull trigger and keep moving gun in direction of birds travel.

lol. ID it hell, just start blasting and eat whatever falls out of the sky.

Ken
03-02-2009, 03:48 PM
any good bird hunting methods?:gun_bandana:

Andy, maybe you oughta' just hang around with Colonel Sanders :chef: or Frank Perdue :wavey: for a bit longer.

DOGMAN
03-02-2009, 03:52 PM
lol. ID it hell, just start blasting and eat whatever walls out of the sky.

So in other words...don't let ethics or laws get in the way of your appetite!! i get ya'....LOL

Dennis K.
03-02-2009, 03:54 PM
lol. ID it hell, just start blasting and eat whatever walls out of the sky.

I did that once. SkyLab tasted awful.

Ken
03-02-2009, 03:56 PM
I did that once. SkyLab tasted awful.

And THAT is why we have a Quality Control Department here!:lol:

Alpine_Sapper
03-02-2009, 04:32 PM
So in other words...don't let ethics or laws get in the way of your appetite!! i get ya'....LOL

Ethics? Laws?

*flipping through dictionary*

What the...Never heard of...

*closes dictionary* Fuggit, Do they taste good?

Jericho117
03-02-2009, 06:22 PM
Andy- You seem to have anger towards birds and thier beauty. What is your true reason to hunt these animals? I used to set twisted sinew snares up near GungyWamp lake where some Geese would come down to lay eggs and stay most of the warm months. I was never successful. But I did steal one of the three eggs ( my friend Suavea was there, we got attacked). I cooked it on a sheet of slate (not survival, just sensible). But I have been successful with my bows and duck arrows (little name for my flattened hand carved rounded blunts I use on just waterfowl, the arrows have four fletching). I like to set up near the small but deep lake passage they come threw every once in a while. I have read that you can hang fishing hooks on branches that have bait on them to capture them. I find reading a book or watching a television show means nothing because it's the expirience that counts (have a friend Brian that watches that show Man V.s Wild, and when we go to the woods and he trys sharing his small amount of knowledge he picked up while watching t.v., I have to correct him so many times to "insure" he doesn't eat a poisonous plant or jump into the lake and try to "fight" hypothermia). There is this bird trap I know how to construct that requires netting though......eithier way, capturing a bird doesn't require to much ingenuity, but even trying to stalk one is a challenge (with the exception of Grouse and such).

Ranger andy
03-02-2009, 08:28 PM
:alien::alien::alien::alien:ehh ok

Ranger andy
03-02-2009, 08:35 PM
hello good game

SnipAR-10
03-16-2009, 02:17 AM
somebody call a fowl....

Dig a hole
put ashes in the hole.

I think I should send you a bill for paper towels used, and time involved to wipe iced tea and chewed up biscuit residue off my desk.

Jay
03-16-2009, 02:48 AM
This is a secret method for catching birds that my grandfather taught me. I'm going to share it with you because you are so young. It's probably illegal in most states though.

1. Get a box of bird seed.
2. Get a box of Morten's salt.
3. Open the box of bird seed and pour a pile of seed on the ground.
4. Open the box of salt.
5. Lay down within arms reach of the pile of bird seed and wait for a bird to land and start eating the seed.
6. Gently reach out with the box of salt and pour it on the birds tail. The bird will be unable to fly away with salt on it's tail, so you can easily catch it.

Don't get discouraged if it takes quite a few tries before you figure out the technique. It's kinda like trying to kill something with a sling. It takes allot of practice.

Now remember this is a secret so don't tell anyone. Especially anyone in law enforcement.

I thought this method only worked on woodpeckers!

Jay
03-16-2009, 02:51 AM
somebody call a fowl....

Dig a hole
put ashes in the hole.

I'll check this out next time I go after an elephant....Maybe you just found a way to resolve our human-elephant conflict!

laughing beetle
03-16-2009, 04:08 AM
Now you are mature enough that you should be able to figure out why an old man would tell a kid to try something like this.

Ok Ok... I forgot about the amusement factor. I don't have any kids of my own, so i never got into the practice of introducing them to excercises in futility... Heh heh... I gotta tell my niece that one... she's 7yrs old...she just might bite!!

laughing beetle
03-16-2009, 04:10 AM
Yes, you are. The sarcasm.

Awww... I must have been short on the coffee that day...