PDA

View Full Version : Storage and Preparation of Food Supplies

Ken
02-26-2009, 04:51 PM
Here's a tip for storing wheat. I thought it was pretty ingenious:

If wheat is not already in nitrogen-packed cans, it can be stored in sturdy 5 gallon food-grade plastic buckets or containers with tight fitting lids. If the wheat has not already been treated to prevent insects from hatching, wheat may be treated at the time of storage by placing one-fourth pound of dry ice per 5 gallon container in the bottom and then filling with wheat. Cover the wheat with the lid, but not tightly, for five or six hours before tightening the lid to be air tight.

The entire article can be found here:
http://www.fcs.uga.edu/pubs/current/FDNS-E-34-1.html

RangerXanatos
02-26-2009, 05:00 PM
I see that it will creat a vacuum seal, but how does that keep the insects from hatching?

Ken
02-26-2009, 05:08 PM
I see that it will creat a vacuum seal, but how does that keep the insects from hatching?

I don't think it creates a vacuum seal, I think it floods the container with Carbon Dioxide and that's what does it.

RangerXanatos
02-26-2009, 05:11 PM
Opps! I read ice, not DRY ice. That amount of ice might cause a vacuum, but I was wondering how it would keep the insect from hatching and what were you going to do with all the mush. My mistake.

Chris
02-26-2009, 09:38 PM
I'm guessing the carbon dioxide has a sterilizing effect.

Ken
02-26-2009, 11:04 PM
I'm guessing the carbon dioxide has a sterilizing effect.

Or, perhaps, a "suffocating" effect?

Hey, what am I thinking? We're talking about bugs here. Where's Crashdive???? Let's ask him - he'll know the answer to this one hands down.

laughing beetle
02-26-2009, 11:12 PM
Maybe the termite mafia caught up with him. :lol:

crashdive123
02-27-2009, 09:08 PM
Maybe the termite mafia caught up with him. :lol:

Nah - just out of town for a couple of days. To answer the question about dry ice - yep CO2 kills insects. Depending on the concentration (not sure what 1/4 lb will yield in a 5 gal bucket) it could take a while, but if it's for long term storage who cares?

Norse&Native
03-05-2009, 11:40 AM
I don't think it creates a vacuum seal, I think it floods the container with Carbon Dioxide and that's what does it.

Precisely.

Stairman
03-05-2009, 12:02 PM
Hey,bugs add protein!